Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quit smoking

Options
  • 11-11-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Starting with questions..
    It's my third time that I try to quit with the e-cig.
    The first time was years ago a beginner ecig no satisfaction at all
    Last year I bought an ego-t but I haven't been able.

Actually with the ego-c twist battery and clearomizer and probably being more strong it's one week that I am not smoking cigarettes.

But, the first days I was crazy nervous.
    Now it's going better, but for example last night I smoked a cigarette :(
    And I will spend the next weekend away with a friend heavy smoker.

It's strange because I liked the cig I smoked yesterday, no bad feelings as many people have after days of not smoking.

Did you all stopped straightaway with the ecig? Or for someone it took more time and smoking sometimes a real cig?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

I stopped smoking cigarettes straight away and it wasn't very difficult to switch, however I did have had a few moments along the way when my vaping gear wasn't working properly. I really wanted to stop smoking and had been trying for 5 years to give up so that may have made it a bit easier as well. When you get a longing for a cigarette try and vape more at that time and the craving will pass :)

Edit Welcome to the forum :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

try not to have a cig as newmark said, but if you have one don't beat yourself up

that's why e-cigs are better than patches or gum, if you fall off the wagon and have a cigarette there's no "months of work" wasted.. you just charge up your battery again and start vaping the day after

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

thanks for your answers!
    I am trying to do my best and I am really happy about the e-cigs..
    I had 2 real cigs in 1 week and not really enjoying them!
    I feel better now, I am trying to be seriously motivated but not too desperate about these 2 stupid cig..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I think if you are 'thinking' about quitting then you never will, too much pressure.
    Think of it as switching, have a cig if thats what you need but vape as you want too, after a while cigs will fade and vaping will take over. Forget about giving up, thats for people doing penance. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 prudentkelly

newmark
    I bought from e-smoke.ie and I am very satisfied
    they also have a program, how to quit smoking with the electronic cigarette?
    http://e-smoke.ie/epages/950002445.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002445/Categories/How_to_Quit_Smoking
    they also have for sale liquids with 0mg of nicotine, which is very important when you are trying to quitting smoking

but since I started to use my ego-c I'm not going to stop vaping my ego-c, is so cool :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

newmark
    I bought from e-smoke.ie and I am very satisfied
    they also have a program, how to quit smoking with the electronic cigarette?
    http://e-smoke.ie/epages/950002445.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002445/Categories/How_to_Quit_Smoking
    they also have for sale liquids with 0mg of nicotine, which is very important when you are trying to quitting smoking

but since I started to use my ego-c I'm not going to stop vaping my ego-c, is so cool :)

I'm a bit confused why your comment is aimed at myself and I'm even more confused about you saying that 0 nicotine is very important when quitting smoking but yet you say you are not going to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I don't smoke at all now, just vape. Have no desire for a cigarette, although I did take a drag of one 3 times over the past year and didn't like it at all. Hard to believe that after 27 years smoking, one drag would make me feel ill. Having said that, there is a 70 year old neighbour of mine who switched to vaping a year ago also. He still has a few cigarettes a week, but vapes 99% of the time as he prefers it to smoking now.

I am bit confused.
    now it's one month that I quit cigarettes and started vaping.
    No cigarettes at all.
    I must say that I don't want to smoke, or, the urge to smoke is every time less and less... except today!
    :D

I reduced in the last week or 10 days to 9mg of nico..

I feel nervous but with no reason...
    can be the nico?
    can be that after one month I am still craving for a cig?

I don't know if I want a cig, the only thing is that in my "old world" to stop this sensation of being nervous I would have run to smoke...

Running to the gym now... but... but... is that normal???
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

this is my first day vaping,and i haven't had the urge at all for a cigarette.I had a drag from my friends smoke today out of curiosity for comparison in work and it was so rotten i'm beginning to wonder how i have smoked for so long.

very good pmcmahon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

9 is very low, try going back to 12 or 18 to stop the craving.
    Your having a nic fit, i.e. body's telling you it wants some nicotine, all normal. As I said don't panic keep calm and vape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

75 days off the smokes today. Never intended for that to happen. I only got a vaporisor because I wanted to be able to get a nic fix on a long plane journey. However, I found I never ended up going back to the half pack of Marlboro once I'd started vaping. Had to give them away to a tramp after a couple of weeks, because I knew I'd no interest in them.
    Probably not going to be that painless for everyone, I accept, but it has to be a damn sight easier than NRT or dodgy psychoactive pharmaceuticals or cold turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

jsabina wrote: »
    thanks for your answers!
    I am trying to do my best and I am really happy about the e-cigs..
    I had 2 real cigs in 1 week and not really enjoying them!

Same here, after I started vaping I was out in the pub, I asked someone for a drag of their smoke and it tasted horrible. I screwed my nose up, handed it back and said I think I'll stick with my vapour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 linda101

jsabina wrote: »
    Starting with questions..
    It's my third time that I try to quit with the e-cig.
    The first time was years ago a beginner ecig no satisfaction at all
    Last year I bought an ego-t but I haven't been able.

Actually with the ego-c twist battery and clearomizer and probably being more strong it's one week that I am not smoking cigarettes.

But, the first days I was crazy nervous.
    Now it's going better, but for example last night I smoked a cigarette :(
    And I will spend the next weekend away with a friend heavy smoker.

It's strange because I liked the cig I smoked yesterday, no bad feelings as many people have after days of not smoking.

Did you all stopped straightaway with the ecig? Or for someone it took more time and smoking sometimes a real cig?

Hiya I tried before to ive used everything im in my 4th day now smoke free using nothing much better I read allen carr book brilliant hope that helps

linda101 wrote: »
    Hiya I tried before to ive used everything im in my 4th day now smoke free using nothing much better I read allen carr book brilliant hope that helps

Very happy for you!
    I read the book but didn't work for me :(
    But I know many people stopped reading that book.

I am now many months off cigs yeyyy but on ecig...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Id imagine many e-cigs couple years back were really crap,technology only came into action in the last two years or so.
    Ive been smoker since 14y after about 9y or so i managed to quit completely in weeks time and stayed clean for almost two years,then slowly dropped back into smoking scene again,mostly due to nights out as when everyone smokes around you and your in not the best shape :cool: its easy to slip back.

so once i was back i was smoking regularly,for another 5-6months,then got e-cig kit,and no more smoking for me,and now its been like 3-4 months and not a single cig was smoked,as smell and even fact of having one is disgusting by now.

Another example is my father,as he was hard smoker for over 20 years,and no way he would ever consider giving up until i got my kit and started vaping,and funny enough he used it on his spare time to vape it,but still smoked-so i was like wth you have a smoke then vape on top.but once i set him up with flavour he liked,proper kit he managed to drop all smoking within day.Only history is now empty packets and lighters that are reminder of old habit.And i hardly see me or him going back on smoking as it takes little time to realize whats better for you,as only thing needed for body is nicotine,not any other crap.

The reason most people cant overcome converting to e-cigs in my opinion is lack of knowledge,and maybe a bit of adjustment to the fact that people will see it odd,if you were to stand besides smokers with your kit in hand :D
    but that issue once vaping diminishes quick,as you find it less needed to have a vape,every time you sit in your car or go into town.

Advertisement