Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed accounts stats?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Read the f[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]king thing yourself. I'm not your secretary. I'm not going through ~150 posts looking for the info for you.
    No, you brought up that it was for privacy reasons, and now that you know you're wrong, you're acting like a dick!

You read it, and back up your statement or else be an adult and admit it was bullsh!t...

And lose the attitude, if you can't be respectful, then don't post

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can I just interject to wish everyone a Happy Ruumembrance day.
    Gordon wrote: »
    Sad day :(

12/11/11* shall now be known as Ruumembrance day. Farewell sweet prince.

*11pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I
    For example if I told you x closed their account with the reason of "tallon's a dick" it would be pretty safe for you to deduce who that was.

I doubt if Sherlock Holmes could deduce who that was, based on that information.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

When people ask for stats like this other people can use them as a basis for bashing boards. For bashing moderators, admins, the structure here etc. What is a good number? What is a bad number? Anyone can impose their own thoughts on that. And in the end it doesn't f*cking matter because the number is meaningless unless you wish it to mean something.

Many people have closed their accounts. The reasons they have given doubtless range from the tirades of the insane to the reasoned responses of those who have just had enough and every goddamned thing in between.

There is no way of giving an accurate figure because of the amount of people who close their account and then re-open a new account and continue on. People scramble passwords. People just stop posting. People get sitebanned and close their account and their siteban expires and their account is still forever closed.

Using a number to represent this is strange. If you look at in a douglas adams way then The answer is 42 and makes about no sense at all because we don't really know how much we have to explore what the question actually even means.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It's quite apt that this thread starts this topic close to this date!

Poor Ruu..... All it would've took was a bit of move over room as a prison warden Gordon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

o>

No pressure here, btw-mild curiosity at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No pressure here, btw-mild curiosity at most.

Perhaps I should've phrased it differently earlier on. But, you know what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Even if the staff were allowed to release that info, why would they do it for you?

Its extra work I'm sure they could do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the Boards staff should definitely release the numbers.

And while they're at it, I want to know how many posters on Boards were born in July 1986. It's not against the data protection thing because I wouldn't know who they are, I just want to know how many there are. Approximate figure to the nearest multiple of 2 would be fine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you look at in a douglas adams way then The answer is 42 and makes about no sense at all

Burn the heretic!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Even if the staff were allowed to release that info, why would they do it for you?

Its extra work I'm sure they could do without.

Extra work? It'd take less than 2 mins, hardly much of an extra workload.

My curiosity bone (ohh err) would like to know, but it's no biggie (double ooh err). I can't see that data protection would be an issue though for a number, sounds like an excuse to hide behind. In theory someone could go through all 593,267 (correct at time of writing) accounts and count the closed ones (no, not me) so it's available already technically even if it would take months to count a rough number. A better answer would be to say that they've decided not to release the number, and leave it at that. I used a lot of parenthesis in this post, not sure why.

5starpool wrote: »

My curiosity bone (ohh err) would like to know, but it's no biggie (double ooh err). I can't see that data protection would be an issue though for a number, sounds like an excuse to hide behind. In theory someone could go through all 593,267 (correct at time of writing) accounts and count the closed ones (no, not me) so it's available already technically even if it would take months to count a rough number. A better answer would be to say that they've decided not to release the number, and leave it at that. I used a lot of parenthesis in this post, not sure why.

It's probably not much work granted, but why bother?

Penn's example illustrates it pretty well. Unless the OP has a good reason for wanting it I'd probably just tell him we're not the CSO or else every Tallon, Dick, and Harry will be hassling you for stats to satisfy their curiosity.

So if I go through them myself and count them and come back here with the results so people who are interested have a rough number, will my post be deleted because 'its against data protection'?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How are you going to find out the reasons for the closures?

How are you going to find out the reasons for the closures?
    I'm not, obviously!

Just the number of closed accounts since it started

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm not, obviously!

Just the number of closed accounts since it started

I'd say if you told them why you wanted it, you'd have a better chance of getting the info you needed. If it's just mild curiosity then they're probably not going to bother their arse rooting around to produce statistics for you.

I'd say if you told them why you wanted it, you'd have a better chance of getting the info you needed. If it's just mild curiosity then they're probably not going to bother their arse rooting around to produce statistics for you.
    I seriously doubt that, after all...

We're required by law not to release any identifiable information.
    I'm afraid so, there's no real reason for us to release that info so it's not something we're going to do.

I seriously doubt that, after all...

Exactly, as Nicola said, there's no real reason to give out the information. The only reason you've given so far is just curiosity. If you had a genuine reason for wanting them, they probably could give out some (non-identifiable) information, but "I'm just interested" is not a good reason.

Penn wrote: »
    "I'm just interested" is not a good reason.

Why not?

Why not?

Same reason why my example of posters born in July 1986 won't be answered. It serves no purpose. Why should any of them take time, even just a few minutes, to simply satisfy someone's curiosity about a non-issue? If someone called me at work and asked me how many clients we've had in the last 3 years, and the only reason they wanted to know was "Ah, just wondering...", I'd tell him to keep wondering.

If the only reason you wanted to know is simply out of curiosity and the Boards staff answered it, what then? Nobody has really gained anything. The Boards staff have taken time out of their day to say "Okay Tallon, X people closed their accounts in the past 3 months", all so you can go "Oh. Okay then"

What's the point? Why does it matter how many people have closed their accounts? Yes, some have been quite prominent members. But from what I've seen, a hell of a lot of them are people who've made about 10 posts, trolled for a bit, got caught and closed their account. And some of the prominent members who've closed their accounts have come back with new accounts because they simply wanted a fresh start.

The number doesn't represent or reflect anything. It serves no purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

My curiosity bone (err) would like to know,

Mine too ;)

If they dont want to tell, they dont tell. Curiosity killed the cat though, and i miss those fecking LOL cats.

Thread needs cats not stats.

Penn wrote: »
    The number doesn't represent or reflect anything. It serves no purpose.

Then why such an issue to give it out!

I get what you're saying Penn, but the boards staff didn't come on here and say that it will take too much time, or it will cause them an inconvenience.. They said it's because of data protection :confused: Which I fail to see how

It's funny how you, the staff, and some other posters, think that I want to make a big deal out of the total number. Like I'm going to say; "Boards is crap because 100 people closed their account"

I literally was just wondering how many have done it

If I started a thread and asked how many people are now on boards, I guarantee the staff would be jumping to give me the statistics!

They said it's because of data protection :confused: Which I fail to see how

Because in your opening post, you also asked for the reasons why they closed their account. Not that you wanted a breakdown of who said what, but it is private information between the poster and Boards, and that would be against data protection.

And Nicola has already said that the number isn't that high, so people wouldn't be able to throw it back at Boards anyway.

So I ask again, what's the point? You're probably right in that if asked about the amount of new users etc, they'd probably give those numbers. But that's positive. It's a testament to how Boards is growing, how popular it is...

The number of closed accounts serves no purpose.

Honestly, you're starting to sound like Donald Trump asking for Obama's college application.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

OP asked for stats

Boards.ie answered that there is no obligation to provide those stats and that they would prefer not to release them, they also cited a possible Data protection issue.

think this one has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement