Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy 'No Junk Mail' sticker ?

Options
  • 11-11-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a 'No Junk Mail' sticker for my letterbox.

Since we don't buy newspapers & magazines, almost the entire contents of our green bin is junk mail. Just spent €75 having our letterbox repaired. Very annoying.

Looking to buy Dublin central or Southside.

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Waste of time they'll still throw it in.

To answer your question, most had ware stores or a euro shop should have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Girl on adverts is selling them I got one only 5e I think

With posted included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I've seen a number of delivery people ignore them. They generally aren't Irish so they may not have been able to read the signs.

• Advertisement

I. Have one and never get any junk mail thank god very annoying when the hall is full of menus etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I saw something like that in Woodies about a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You'll need to put it in a few different languages

If you are happy with just an English one then lots of Spar shops have them behind the counter.
    Just ask, probably won't be on display or at least difficult to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You'll need to put it in a few different languages

Or use pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I was thinking of selling them door to door.

Expect an unsolicited leaflet about the service any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭SteM

I got mine here http://www.treehugger.ie/

€3.55 inc delivery - and I can tell you we get 95% less junk mail then we used to. The only ones that still deliver are the scam artists leaving the stickers for bags of clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Waste of time they'll still throw it in.
    Some will obey it though. If only 5% obey it that's about 15 less pizza flyers per day for me!

I can see in my neighbours glass porch and saw he had far less since putting up his one, while I get loads.

Wonder if any country has made unsolicited mail illegal, i.e. stuff not going through the postal service which would be harder to enforce, though I know some try to. Technically it could be argued as littering, if I posted my empty chocolate bar wrappers in my neighbours could I just claim to be advertising cadburys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭chasm

Got mine in a little hardware shop, they are usually in the same place as the stick on numbers and beware of the dog signs. Got it for about €2 i think.
    Get hardly any junk put through now although there's a guy who delivers the "Alive" catholic newspaper who totally ignores the sign. Was tempted to go out and give the paper back to him and point out the sign, but i'm afraid i'll be banished to hell lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

as a postie if you have one on your letterbox,in a decent sized font that wont be missed then you wont get any junk mail from me,
    only way its acceptable at head office is if you have a notice up,otherwise we gotta deliver it. (yes they actually check when we inform them once a year or so of how many have the stickers up on our respective deliveries).

this does not cover any items sent regarding elections or info on elections or government issued items. these gotta go in regardless.

ps. ive seen folks put these notices on front windows down in the corner,or in a tiny sticker somewhere around the front door, these are pointless because they will be missed. put it on your actual postbox where it cant be missed.

also , we hate the fckin junk mail aswell.... and saying to your postie, "if there bills keep them" or something along them lines isnt original,and your not the first time we have heard that,probly not even the first time that same day.

cheeeeerssss :)

barone wrote: »
    as a postie if you have one on your letterbox,in a decent sized font that wont be missed then you wont get any junk mail from me,
    Thats a bit worrying TBH.

Not sure if my terms are right but to me "junk mail" is stuff posted in the door by 'non-postmen'. And unsolicited mail is properly paid for stuff going through the postal system. Stuff like election flyers with stamps on them which some politician has got my name off the public records, or stuff like littlewoods catalogues etc.

I have no real problem with unsolicited mail, I get very little and 50% of the time I do want it (bar election stuff, don't get me started).

So do you, as a postman, and other postmen pay attention to the difference between the 2? or are my terms correct? or what should I do to ensure I do get all mail coming through the postal system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

only way its acceptable at head office is if you have a notice up,otherwise we gotta deliver it. (yes they actually check when we inform them once a year or so of how many have the stickers up on our respective deliveries).

this does not cover any items sent regarding elections or info on elections or government issued items. these gotta go in regardless.

Don't An Post get paid to deliver those leaflets?

Also, I was always under the impression that those 'No junk mail' stickers have no legal standing in Ireland.

posties deliver all types of unadressed mail , be it from the local supermarket/huge chain stores/ insurance offers/sky/ntl/broadband etc etc etc .. we do it all.

as i said , having one of the notices on your letterbox will stop us delivering the un adressed mail, bar official government items and the like.

never said anything about legal stuff,as i dont know anything about it.

if you have a notice then we can officially bypass you regarding junk,if ya dont we gotta deliver it.

yes payment is provided to an post for deliver of advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rubadub wrote: »
    Some will obey it though. If only 5% obey it that's about 15 less pizza flyers per day for me!

I can see in my neighbours glass porch and saw he had far less since putting up his one, while I get loads.

Wonder if any country has made unsolicited mail illegal, i.e. stuff not going through the postal service which would be harder to enforce, though I know some try to. Technically it could be argued as littering, if I posted my empty chocolate bar wrappers in my neighbours could I just claim to be advertising cadburys?

I think the signs have some standing in Switzerland, there you can choose between no junk mail, no unaddressed/ junk mail and the last is no unaddressed /junk/free papers.

I have one on my door. Coming home from work the other night I saw a fellow delivering flyers. He dropped into the houses below mine. I thought he was being lazy not walking up my stairs, but he went up the for all the others. Since I've put the sign up I rarely get junk mail, most is from scam clothes collectors and my door handle is usually moved when these are delivered.

posties deliver all types of unadressed mail
    Ah right I never knew this. I thought you would have enough to be carrying, especially with all the threads complaining of only getting notification letters in the door and having to collect parcels, there is obviously a lot of weight to be lugging around.

I read of a guy in the US who purposely signed up for as much junk as he could, and used the paper to fuel his central heating burner. Free fuel delivered each day by a postie with a now wrecked back.

rubadub wrote: »
    Ah right I never knew this. I thought you would have enough to be carrying, especially with all the threads complaining of only getting notification letters in the door and having to collect parcels, there is obviously a lot of weight to be lugging around.

I read of a guy in the US who purposely signed up for as much junk as he could, and used the paper to fuel his central heating burner. Free fuel delivered each day by a postie with a now wrecked back.

A yank postie stopped me for a chat in town yonks ago and told me on average they deliver 25kg a day of junk mail..mostly dept store flyes..insurance etc etc.

Were heading in that direction here now..and will get worse when/if postcodes come in.. most junk mail will be addressed then..rendering notices invalid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

posties deliver all types of unadressed mail , be it from the local supermarket/huge chain stores/ insurance offers/sky/ntl/broadband etc etc etc .. we do it all.

as i said , having one of the notices on your letterbox will stop us delivering the un adressed mail, bar official government items and the like.

never said anything about legal stuff,as i dont know anything about it.

if you have a notice then we can officially bypass you regarding junk,if ya dont we gotta deliver it.

yes payment is provided to an post for deliver of advertising.

I'm not having a go at you, I'm just curious about this.
    By coincidence I got a mail this morning from An Post business services, offering a service that delivers postcard ads to a targeted area. You choose the area, it tells you the number of houses in it, you pay per house.

If it's standard policy not to deliver these things to any house with a 'No junk mail' sticker, then An Post are overcharging businesses.

Personally, I hate getting all that stuff, it goes straight in the bin, and I think it's a waste of money, but if An Post were charging me for such a service I'd be expecting it to be carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Make your own. I typed out a polite request for no junk mail, printed it out on A4, put in a clear folder page and taped it to the letter box.

Got about an 80% reduction in junk mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MOH wrote: »
    I'm not having a go at you, I'm just curious about this.
    By coincidence I got a mail this morning from An Post business services, offering a service that delivers postcard ads to a targeted area. You choose the area, it tells you the number of houses in it, you pay per house.

If it's standard policy not to deliver these things to any house with a 'No junk mail' sticker, then An Post are overcharging businesses.

Personally, I hate getting all that stuff, it goes straight in the bin, and I think it's a waste of money, but if An Post were charging me for such a service I'd be expecting it to be carried out.

From the below post, An Post don't deliver to houses with no junk mail and the postie has to explain why they are returning with junk mail.

It may be a big assumption, but it appears An Post only quote for people without No Junk Mail signs, why else would they ask the postie for this info. If a house puts up a sign An Post then remove them from the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Junk mail is litter being dumped into peoples homes. It should be stopped!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement