Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent basic B&B near Meyrick Hotel

Options
  • 11-11-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I need somewhere basic and inexpensive to stay on Monday night, before an early meeting in the Meyrick on Tuesday.

I know there are loads of B&Bs on College Road, but some of the reviews are horrific. I just want somewhere that is quiet, warm, quiet, hassle free with a working shower! As you would think would be normal, but it seems not....
    My budget does not stretch to the Meyrick itself.

Any personal recommendations please, ideally on College Road so I don't have to bother about driving and parking in the morning?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Garveys Inn across the road, 50 euro for you on your own

Decent food, the night porter will serve you late drinks if you want,

Full breakfast in the morning but that's extra

I'm not sure if they have wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭eamonn4321

Thanks mikemac1, sounds like a good option. I wonder though would it be noisy? Also, I can't see if they have parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

€55 for a room in The Eyre Square Hotel across the road from Garveys.

City centre location, there will be some noise but ask the Garvey staff if they can do something for you

There might be a room not facing the square

Monday night too, there will be less drunks around :p

There is parking up by the tourist office, 10 euro a day I think

It's a very basic hotel, nothing special but 50 euro for a Monday night isn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

eamonn4321 wrote: »
    Thanks mikemac1, sounds like a good option. I wonder though would it be noisy? Also, I can't see if they have parking.

Meyrick is right in Eyre Square. It's gonna be noisy and hard to get parking when you're that central.

What about Travelodge in Bohermore?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Just wondering now, is *all* of College Road that bad? That would be the ideal location for me, assuming they have parking I don't mind a 10 minute walk. Would be quiet too. Just don't want to take pot luck as there are some very mixed reviews on Trip Advisor and wondered if anyone had stayed in a good one there. I'm not fussy but I want the basics (sleep and shower) and no dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Asgard on College road received a Tripadvisor award this year, maybe have a look on Tripadvisor for recent reviews before you decide on where your going to stay

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not sure that many people reading the Galway City forum will have personal experience of Galway BnB's - sure we live here, what do we need bnb for.

Re mixed reviews on TripAdvisor - that's a good thing. If they are all positive, then you can assume they're not genuine, there will always by some people who have realistic expectations or have really bad luck and are really poor at communicating their needs to the owner.

So just look for a place that has mostly good reviews.

Lovely, I just booked the Asgard, only 35 euro, happy with that and hopefully TA is fairly OK on this one.

Thanks everyone!

Can't go wrong with 35 euro for B & B :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement