Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv license inspector calling around docks

Options
  • 11-11-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Had a call from a tv license inspector around the docks area. Just a heads up ! Quick question, I have a broken tv but its 2 large to throw in apartment block rubbish area, I need to bring it to the dump. Do I need a license for a broken defunct tv? I figure I dont need a dog license for a dead dog but with this shower of idiots I wouldnt be suprised.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If it's capable of receiving a signal, then you need a licence.
    Also you don't dump a tv, it needs to be recycled correctly at Galway City Council Recycling centre, Liosbáin Industrial estate, Mon- Thu 2-4pm, Fri 2-3pm and Sat 9 – 1pm

Also the tv licence inspector is only doing his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

-Vega- wrote: »
    Had a call from a tv license inspector around the docks area. Just a heads up ! Quick question, I have a broken tv but its 2 large to throw in apartment block rubbish area, I need to bring it to the dump. Do I need a license for a broken defunct tv? I figure I dont need a dog license for a dead dog but with this shower of idiots I wouldnt be suprised.

Thanks

Yep, apparently even if it's still 'repairable' you need a licence.
    You're under no obligation to let them in. If you refuse you'll get a letter asking you to sign why you've no license. Most of the inspectors are grand but there are a few bullies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

We were away for a few weeks there, came back and we had a letter saying we had five working days to pay or further action would be taken. Where the letter is supposed to be dated, there is a series of numbers which in no way resembles any date. We have no idea when it came. What exactly do we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can pay it.

Thanks very much for the incredibly constructive comment and for completely answering my query adequately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks very much for the incredibly constructive comment and for completely answering my query adequately.

Do you have a tv? Do you have a license for it?

Unless the answers are yes&yes or no & n/a, then i suggest a trip to the post office..

Unless the answers are yes&yes or no & n/a, then i suggest a trip to the post office..

And if you can't go in, there should also be a number on the yoke they left. Ask for the licence dept and tell them what you need to. I had a similar issue being away once - The people on the phone end were actually very helpful (particularly after the not so nice license person who came to the door a while back).

inisboffin wrote: »
    And if you can't go in, there should also be a number on the yoke they left. Ask for the licence dept and tell them what you need to. I had a similar issue being away once - The people on the phone end were actually very helpful (particularly after the not so nice license person who came to the door a while back).

Thanks for the actual answers. Ill head in/call up tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

It's an idiot tax. Pay it if you want, avoid it if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

You forgot to add that the penalty for not having a licence can be a court appearance and a fine of up to 1000 euro.
    So avoid it if you think it's worth taking the risk.

• Advertisement

You forgot to add that the penalty for not having a licence can be a court appearance and a fine of up to 1000 euro.
    So avoid it if you think it's worth taking the risk.
    No, that bit was covered by "It's an idiot tax".

No, that bit was covered by "It's an idiot tax".

:confused:
    Hardly tells what the fine could be, maybe I don't speak the same language as you.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there any other form of theft that you also consider an 'idiot tax'? e.g price tags in shops, "pay if you want, but only a eejit would"

Shoplifters, insurance fraudsters and tax evaders probably feel the same way. They are in effect thieves, stealing directly from my pocket, subhuman scum in my eyes. Where do they think the shortfall comes from? some of them are the idiots, or feign being idiots who try and convince themselves its a 'victimless crime'

If you are opposed contact your local politician, it FG stated that they were opposed to the TV licence before.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/licence-fee-system-should-be-scrapped-1219898.html

rubadub wrote: »
    Is there any other form of theft that you also consider an 'idiot tax'?
    No just this
    They are in effect thieves, stealing directly from my pocket, subhuman scum in my eyes.
    :pac: :pac:
    Where do they think the shortfall comes from?
    What shortfall?
    some of them are the idiots, or feign being idiots who try and convince themselves its a 'victimless crime'
    Who is the victim of my subhuman scum crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I have 3 TVs but they are all either set up as computer monitors or connected to a Hard drive to play downloaded film or TV shows. I'm not a customer of Sky/UPC or any other TV service provider and i don't have a Saorview box.

I will never pay a TV licence

MajorMax wrote: »
    I have 3 TVs but they are all either set up as computer monitors or connected to a Hard drive to play downloaded film or TV shows. I'm not a customer of Sky/UPC or any other TV service provider and i don't have a Saorview box.

I will never pay a TV licence

Although I agree with your reasoning for not having a licence, I believe that this argument was tried in the U.K. some years ago and the court ruled that as the T.V. set was capable of receiving a T.V. signal a licence was needed, even if the set had been disabled. Because any parts you took out could be put back in!.

So I think the same would apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I don't think any TV capable of use as a monitor is of itself capable of being a receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Because you can view RTE online would be a reason also why you need one,

Yeah, the online thing is a slightly grey area but they're working on expanding it!

At the moment, a telly, *even* if only being used as a monitor is liable (not that I agree with it). So is a laptop or computer attached to a scart tv viewer thing! I have looked into this quite a bit.

The grey area part is being able to watch online, someone pointed out being able to watch RTE, you can also stream on aertv, but noone has been charged *here* on not having a license for that. Although it's not far off!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

"television set" means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its used for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.

Your broken set isn't capable. So, I'd imagine you don't need one. Best course of action is to verify with them on 01 705 7670.

• Advertisement

Minister apparently exempts laptops (for the moment), and I stand corrected on the TV card thing, it seems you still don't need a license for a computer with a tv card.*

See Article

*Hmm, conflicting information. Citizens Information say you *do* need one if using a laptop or pc in conjunction with another apparatus to receive a signal. They also confirm that you DO need one for a broken tv.

What shortfall?
    Oh dear, do you really need it explained, or do you just have your head in the sand to justify your theft. It's ironic that you are the one using the term 'idiot'

The shortfall is the money needed due to the non payment of the licence fee, the money obviously has to come from elsewhere. They do not have magic money trees.

From the link I gave
    The Government was urged yesterday to scrap the "archaic, expensive and regressive" TV licence collection system, which is forcing people to cover the costs for those who do not pay.

They will either increase the licence fee to those who pay, and/or increase general taxation to cover it.

Just like retailers charge more to law abiding customers to cover shoplifting theft, or insurance premiums go up to cover scam artists, or general taxation increases to cover shortfall in tax evasion.
    me, and anybody else who is paying your share, which you are in effect stealing directly from them. I have far more respect for a thief who admits to what he is, than one who pathetically tries to justify their actions.
    inisboffin wrote: »
    and I stand corrected on the TV card thing,
    I think you were correct. The quote given here
    The Broadcasting Bill 2009 specifically exempts mobile phones, “standard PCs with a broadband connection and laptops with TV cards” from a television licence requirement, the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Eamon Ryan TD, has said.
    only appears on a few dubious sites. You can see the full actual bill here
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2009/en.act.2009.0018.pdf
    nowhere in it does it even mention the word laptop or tuner, let alone specifically exempt them.

It says
    “television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving
    and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general
    reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on
    the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or
    assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

In numerous other threads I have seen people say you do need one if you have the tuner (not watching rte player).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's not theft. It is breaking the law - specifically it's tax evasion.

IMHO, it's a stupid law. It probably costs more to collect and process than they actually make in license fees. But it's still a law, so IMHO should be followed ... and TD's lobbied to get it changed. (Though given today's news, there's another law that I think needs changed first, but that's a another story.)

Oh dear, do you really need it explained, or do you just have your head in the sand to justify your theft
    I don't own a TV. I think as a Boards moderator you should know better than to accuse other members of criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

mitosis wrote: »
    I don't think any TV capable of use as a monitor is of itself capable of being a receiver.

Not sure what you mean??

Many HDTV's have VGA ports, are excellent TV receivers as well as OK monitors

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I heard a story on here once about a bunch of students who didn't have a license. Their neighbour called to say the license inspector was going around, they were watching TV at the time so they hopped up, took the tv an everything else and put it in the boot of a car outside. They then replaced it with a microwave and when the inspector came around they invited him into the sitting room to have a look at the 3 lads with feet up watching the microwave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Got the reminder in the door yesterday. 160 quid is a massive amount of money to be shelling out these days. I always pay it though because I know the one time I'd chance it is the one time I'd be caught out. Stupid money though in all fairness. Wouldn't mind forking it over if it was actually put to good use!

MadYaker wrote: »
    I heard a story on here once about a bunch of students who didn't have a license. Their neighbour called to say the license inspector was going around, they were watching TV at the time so they hopped up, took the tv an everything else and put it in the boot of a car outside. They then replaced it with a microwave and when the inspector came around they invited him into the sitting room to have a look at the 3 lads with feet up watching the microwave!

It's not theft. It is breaking the law - specifically it's tax evasion.
    That is why I was saying its a form of theft at the start. I end up with less disposable income in my pocket because of non payers, and they end up with more disposable income. So to me it is no different than somebody stealing money from my wallet and having more in theirs. Its the same end result, some will of course pathetically try to justify their actions with semantics.
    IMHO, it's a stupid law. It probably costs more to collect and process than they actually make in license fees.
    I agree, its ridiculous, but I will pay it rather than take disposable income from my friends & family & neighbours. The actual figure is that 99% of households are obliged to pay it. It would be like having a footpath tax and allowing people to hide behind the couch and not pay it. And having huge admin costs associated with collecting it and wasting court time etc.
    I don't own a TV. I think as a Boards moderator you should know better than to accuse other members of criminal activity.
    :rolleyes: hmmm, you appeared to be admitting to your 'criminal activity' when you said this.

• Advertisement

The actual figure is that 99% of households are obliged to pay it.

Just curious where you get this figure from? I know quite a few people who no longer own a telly.

Advertisement