Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What discount on a new bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I'm no expert. But, bike sales are WAY down this year, and given the time of year too, you have bargaining power.

I asked this question months ago, and people said about 5% or so? Three figures, not 4.

And about 2 weeks ago, I just put an order in on a new bike + lots of accessories.

I got just under 1k off the "list" price of 14450. I feel like I could have gotton another couple of hundred off but I am an idiot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Just wondering- how does it work when buying a brand new bike, is it like a car, where you get a nice chunk off the sticker price or what way does it work? Liking the looks of the mat black Kawasaki z750r
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TNNN9iT4wXs/T-ChZUVOmQI/AAAAAAAAAlc/Qre20WsWX_8/s1600/Kawasaki_Z750R_0.jpg

Thanks

The Z750 is being replaced by the Z800. So its last season's bike, you should be able to get a bit more off.

It also depends on how competitively the bike is priced to start with. If the bike has already been heavily discounted due to being replaced you won't get much off. Also a good few places are advertising the cash price, if you want to trade in the price goes up. But there's no harm in offering less than they are asking, the worst that will happen is you have to increase your offer.

You could always try to get some gear thrown into the deal, most places have more manoeuvre room on that then the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Del2005 wrote: »
    The Z750 is being replaced by the Z800. So its last season's bike, you should be able to get a bit more off.

It also depends on how competitively the bike is priced to start with. If the bike has already been heavily discounted due to being replaced you won't get much off. Also a good few places are advertising the cash price, if you want to trade in the price goes up. But there's no harm in offering less than they are asking, the worst that will happen is you have to increase your offer.

You could always try to get some gear thrown into the deal, most places have more manoeuvre room on that then the bike.

its the 750r, as far as I know this replaces the 750, its about 800 or so more expensive, pretty much the same machine, slight cosmetic changes, upgraded brakes and suspension. The sticker price is the same as is on the kawasaki/bikeworld website (€8950)..Would you be dreaming to get it for 8000-200 without a trade in!?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

its the 750r, as far as I know this replaces the 750, its about 800 or so more expensive, pretty much the same machine, slight cosmetic changes, upgraded brakes and suspension. The sticker price is the same as is on the kawasaki/bikeworld website (€8950)..Would you be dreaming to get it for 8000-200 without a trade in!?

I don't think that would be dreaming. 8200 should be achievable, IMO? Not sure about BikeWorld tho...

The Z750 isn't being replaced by the R, which is the better equipped sportier Z750. Kawasaki are releasing a replacement for the Z750, saw some pictures of it in MCN. Not sure if the z750r is being replaced at the same time, but it will be replaced soon with a Z800R. Still a fine bike, but the fact it's being replaced gives you more room for haggling.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The Z750 isn't being replaced by the R, which is the better equipped sportier Z750. Kawasaki are releasing a replacement for the Z750, saw some pictures of it in MCN. Not sure if the z750r is being replaced at the same time, but it will be replaced soon with a Z800R. Still a fine bike, but the fact it's being replaced gives you more room for haggling.
    Ah rite, cheers- I know the z750 is now discontinued so assumed the 750r was taking it's place..
    So, good news for me them if it's being discontinued...was torn between this and the zx6r..I had pretty much decided on the zx6r until I went to see them both in the flesh and the matt black z750r looked a lot better than expected in the flesh..If I can get the cash together, it will be January before I buy. If I can get it close to 8k that should be a good deal yeah? What are peoples opinions of adding on ABS ? I can't find a price for it anywhere online but guessing it will add about 500 quid to the price?

Ah rite, cheers- I know the z750 is now discontinued so assumed the 750r was taking it's place..
    So, good news for me them if it's being discontinued...was torn between this and the zx6r..I had pretty much decided on the zx6r until I went to see them both in the flesh and the matt black z750r looked a lot better than expected in the flesh..If I can get the cash together, it will be January before I buy. If I can get it close to 8k that should be a good deal yeah? What are peoples opinions of adding on ABS ? I can't find a price for it anywhere online but guessing it will add about 500 quid to the price?

From reading reviews ABS is the way go.

If the bike is in stock it may not be possible to add in the dealership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would deffo not buy it off Bikeworld no matter what price it was.....and yes I would haggle the haggis of a scots man to get a better price. And then when he got down to a price thats near yours and he says the usual thats the best I can do on the cash price. Hit him for discounts off accesories or clothing and demand a full tank of petrol too the ****S!

:D

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Would deffo not buy it off Bikeworld no matter what price it was.....and yes I would haggle the haggis of a scots man to get a better price. And then when he got down to a price thats near yours and he says the usual thats the best I can do on the cash price. Hit him for discounts off accesories or clothing and demand a full tank of petrol too the ****S!

:D
    Sounds good..:D
    Why not buy off bikeworld? I would have thought since they are the distributors for Kawasaki I'd likely get the best deal there, no ?

If I order a bike that isn't in stick ( e.g.. model with abs)..what's the usual lead time ? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Savage bike. Sat on a mates z1000 the other day, nice seating position on it and they look class in the flesh.

Nice one on dungdeal here:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4071278

Matt black one looks really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

Shopping around for my first new bike, probably a Yamaha MT-07.
    Most shops seems to quote the RRP of €7950.
    When I've asked about deals they all say that they will give a discount on bike gear, locks etc.
    As I have most of the gear I want a saving off the RRP.

Is it still possible to haggle much off the RRP in 2016 and if so how much should I be looking for?

Also which store is better to buy the bike from, Bikeworld or Megabikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Where have you tried ? I've bought a few bikes new off Steve in Ndm , they're out beside the man o war pub in Balbriggan . They won't have new bikes in the showroom but will get one in for you . Same thing with rpm in Drogheda , both are worth a call .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

rat_race wrote: »
    I don't think that would be dreaming. 8200 should be achievable, IMO? Not sure about BikeWorld tho...
    Bought a Z1000 off Bikeworld when they first came out, cash money, had to argue with the mofo's for a decent Thatcham approved lock & chain as a sweetener & this was after buying one other bike new, cash money off them.

Haven't entered the door since, expect nothing for nothing off of those cunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Cienciano wrote: »
    Savage bike./QUOTE]Always thought the bike needed another gear, got pissed off with mine after 6 months & went for a naked FZ1 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

jay48 wrote: »
    Where have you tried ? I've bought a few bikes new off Steve in Ndm , they're out beside the man o war pub in Balbriggan . They won't have new bikes in the showroom but will get one in for you . Same thing with rpm in Drogheda , both are worth a call .

I've really only looked in these shops and on some web sites. All are quoting pretty much the same. Preference is for a shop in Dublin.
    Really what I'm asking is when I haggle what am I likely to get off the bike.
    Not sure what the margins are on these types of bikes and how much leeway the shops have.
    In the US they seem to have a good margin as the bikes almost never sell for the RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Afaik there's not a massive mark up on the bikes here for dealers . I bought a cb1000r from ndm in 2012 , Honda couldn't even give me a price on one and Steve organised one from a contact in England . They're selling more bikes over there so can do better deals . Ring around , tell them what your after and see what they can source . Ccs unlimited in kells have a good rep aswell from what I've read .
    Balbriggan is in Dublin btw :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Steve out in NDM has alot of Honda and Ducati contacts over in the UK.

Hes good at sourcing bikes at the right price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Steve out in NDM has alot of Honda and Ducati contacts over in the UK.

Hes good at sourcing bikes at the right price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shopping around for my first new bike, probably a Yamaha MT-07.
    Most shops seems to quote the RRP of €7950.
    When I've asked about deals they all say that they will give a discount on bike gear, locks etc.
    As I have most of the gear I want a saving off the RRP.

Is it still possible to haggle much off the RRP in 2016 and if so how much should I be looking for?

Also which store is better to buy the bike from, Bikeworld or Megabikes?

How did the haggling go schaffer1969?

Megabucks offered me zero discount and an unspecified load of store credit, but given their "healthy" margins that sounds like an opportunity for further gouging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Lumen wrote: »
    How did the haggling go schaffer1969?

Megabucks offered me zero discount and an unspecified load of store credit, but given their "healthy" margins that sounds like an opportunity for further gouging.

I still haven't bought it yet. I've been working outside the country for the past few months so held off. Plan on buying shortly. The discounts seem to have vanished. Megabucks never offered a discount and Bikeworld offered me €50 off a while back.

Don't think there is a massive margin on the bikes, unlike the accessories.
    So plan on getting a few things thrown in or heavily discounted.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Used bike market is mad money, nearly better off buying new

Advertisement