Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving your car overnight

Options
  • 11-11-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what you guys do with your car if you want to go camping.
    there is no real risk of your car getting stolen in Conamra but would you leave a note in the car so that people do not think you are lost in the mountains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've never left a note but suppose it cold be good if you're away more than one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

I usually leave my mobile number visible inside the car and also the number of someone at home in case I'm out of coverage in the hills. Don't know if it's the correct thing to do but at least if someone is worried they have two numbers to call and check.
    Always leave details of where you are going with someone and estimated time of return and don''t forget to contact them when you are down off the hills.
    Enjoy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I don't leave a note at all.

It just lets the scumbags know how long they have to break into your car. :mad:
    If I am camping overnight I now only leave my car in carparks, outside houses or places that it doesn't look abondoned.

On day hikes I don't really care as if I'm going on a "serious" hike I always give the route and return time to someone at home (partner or if she's with me then my parents). Sure enough if I don't ring when I say I will the mother will be worrying even though I'm well into my 30's and haven't lived at home for 12 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 quadsofflug

I once had mountain rescue called when camping - so it's a good idea to leave word somewhere that you won't be coming back. The advice we got was to ring the local Garda station. If there's a house nearby ask if it's ok to park there and let them know you're staying out overnight.

Advertisement