Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

background images

Options
  • 11-11-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Want to use a image as a background on a site, its going to be a large image because it has to take up a fair bit of space, how can I get it to load faster or even pre load before the page opens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Want to use a image as a background on a site, its going to be a large image because it has to take up a fair bit of space, how can I get it to load faster or even pre load before the page opens?

use something like photoshop to compress it and reduce its quality as far as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

that not reduce the quality n make it ****e though?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

whats the image? could it be a vector image? these can be scaled to any size without an increase in kb size.

Can the image be scaled? ie keep it say 400px X 400px then scale it with css to fit the screen size.

can you repeat the image?

Dont preload the image, if people have to wait for a full size image to load before seeing the rest of page you could loose the attention of the visitor.

if you do have to load a large image its better to load the page and use a background colour to make the text stand out until your image loads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

how can I get it to load faster or even pre load before the page opens?

Javascript.

Check out here and here.

Or even here.

There are many ways. Just google 'pre-loading images'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Brilliant cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You still need to optimise your image.

Advertisement