Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum temp for tropical fish.

Options
  • 11-11-2012 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hello people.
    I want to put some tropical fish into a tank and was wondering what the minimum temp should be.
    I have the tank clean and ready for stones and water.
    The gauge on the side of the tank is saying 24c and 75f.
    That's with no water in it yet.

I'd also like to know the hardy fish I can put in.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Depends, different fish prefer different temperatures.

Standard is about 24 - 26C.

I'd cycle the tank before putting any fish in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Thanks.
    Il cycle the tank alright.
    Just waiting on 2pm to get into the fish shop and get stones etc.

I'm sure il have plenty more questions here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

As Silverfish said it depends on the fish, but around 26C is average. You'll definietly need a heater if you're intending to keep tropicals; unless you live in a very hot country the water temperature will always be lower than the room temperature.

Don't forget to show us some pics once you have it cycled and have some fish in.

Thanks il post some pics tomoro of the tank. It's a bit cloudy at the moment after putting in the stones even though I washed them first and the filter is covered in those little white bubbles.
    Looks like a tank of 7up:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Silverfish wrote: »
    Depends, different fish prefer different temperatures.

Standard is about 24 - 26C.

I'd cycle the tank before putting any fish in.

Discuss are 28+ degreec C.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Will look like that for a while. No need to worry, by the time the tank's cycled in a few weeks it'll be crystal clear and ready for your new fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Turrican: Around 25/26 will suit most tropicals some do prefer warmer though.

Consider some plants too. If you're looking for some low-maintenance items, then consider Anubias, Vallisneria or Java Ferns.

Regards,

CC.

A few weeks for cycling!!!!
    I can't wait that long.

I've had plants before but they fell apart and floated around the tank and blocked the filter.
    Tank is much clearer today tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

If you value the fish and don't want to torture them with ammonia, cycle the tank. Trust me, you can wait that long :)

TURRICAN wrote: »
    I can't wait that long.

I've had plants before but they fell apart and floated around the tank and blocked the filter.

The plants i listed are very hardy types. Tollerate low light, pollution, etc.

• Advertisement

Anubias is a great plant, I have one of the larger types and it's gorgeous; just starting to flower too.

It'll definitely take a couple of weeks to cycle your tank. What you have to put up with in terms of not being able to put fish in for a few weeks, you'll get back tenfold in the knowledge that you didn't spend €50 on fish only for them all to die and you having to spend more money to restock. Put the plants in as soon as possible, and that way at least there'll be something in the tank to look at while you cycle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I can't wait that long.

All good things come to those who WAIT.....;):)

Here's a pic before I put in the water, il have more later.

Here's a pic before I put in the water, il have more later.

Turrican, get a proper thermometer. Those strips are notoriously inaccurate...

A proper liquid filled one, with a suction cup to stick to the inside glass costs no more than a fiver.

Its deeply stressing for fish not to have a substrate (gravel/sand/soil) on the bottom.

Also, consider putting a black background on the outside of the back glass pane. This makes your fish feel more secure, so they'll swim around more freely and their colours will really pop against the black.
    Direct sunlight on the tank, as you have in your pic is pretty bad for causing algae growth. Put a curtain up, or shield the tank with the bakground i mention above.

You're very observant cc.
    I have one of those thermometers in the press and a heater just didn't put them in yet.

I don't really want to change the stones as the tank has cleared up.
    Would it really make a big difference?
    What kind of soil are you referring too?

You're very observant cc.
    I have one of those thermometers in the press and a heater just didn't put them in yet.

I don't really want to change the stones as the tank has cleared up.
    Would it really make a big difference?
    What kind of soil are you referring too?

If you're looking at bottom feeders, then sharp gravel can damage their mouths and whiskers. In that case river sand or an aquarium substrate like the ones you see here: would suit. http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/store/category/202/86/Planted-substrates/
    If you're going for live plants, then you really need a decent substrate.

Fish that stay at the middle or top water layers, don't need sand and gravel is fine for them.

Black as a gravel colour is always good, as the fish colours really stand out against them.

As a rule of thumb, tropical aquarium fish are small frightened creatures, at the bottom of the food chain in the wild. The slightest bit of trouble and the "FLEEEEE...HIIIIIDE!" instinct kicks in.
    If you want them to be confident (free-swimming) and colourful, you have to keep them happy and feeling safe, or they'll spend all their time hiding in a corner and looking dull. Happy/healthy fish show bright colours, and lose them when not happy.
    Give them a nice substrate, some plants, a hidey hole or two and a background, and you're flying it then.

Hope this helps, keep asking questions!

I'f you're not too mad on plants etc, you can achieve wonders going for an unconventional tank like teh one here: http://www.topnewstoday.org/i5/7/88/81/img_2381887_620.jpg

Ok il probably get some of the white sand as I've seen that in the local fish shop and keep a patch sandy and gravel around it.

Tank is crysal clear at the moment and um thinking of introducing some fish in.
    I've ran stress coat thru the tank aswell so I should be safe?

Edit.
    The gravel is very smooth and rounded on the edges so that should be ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

No, you need to cycle the tank.

Fish produce ammonia. This is toxic to fish, and a high concentration will kill them. Filter bacteria break that down to nitrite, which is also toxic, and different bacteria break that down to nitrate, which is less harmful in low concentration.
    You need to have those bacteria established in the filter sponges before you add fish.

You can either cycle the tank using ammonia or fish food, until you see a rise in ammonia, which will then be broken down so you get a nitrite reading, and then eventually a nitrate reading. This process will take roughly 6 weeks, and will be completed when 24 hours after adding ammonia, it tests zero on an ammonia test.

Alternatively, you can get a sponge cutting from someone with a cycled tank, which will kick-start your cycle, but you will need to add the fish and the sponge on the same day, and monitor the water daily with a test kit.

Ok il probably get some of the white sand as I've seen that in the local fish shop and keep a patch sandy and gravel around it.

Edit.
    The gravel is very smooth and rounded on the edges so that should be ok.

Stress coat is a poor alternative to a proper filter cycle.
    Water clarity is no indication of what is sitting in the water.

Do not even think of putting fish in untill you have readings of 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and some nitrate. Do water changes to keep Nitrate under 40ppm or so.

When you do add fish, don't add them all in one go, as this can overload the filter. The bacteria colony needs to build up.

A decent tank is a labour of love, and the last bit of advice i'll give is: if you're not feeling patient and not willing to do the extra work, then tropical fish are not for you and you should stick to goldfish.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Stress coat is a poor alternative to a proper filter cycle.
    Water clarity is no indication of what is sitting in the water.

Do not even think of putting fish in untill you have readings of 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and some nitrate. Do water changes to keep Nitrate under 40ppm or so.

When you do add fish, don't add them all in one go, as this can overload the filter. The bacteria colony needs to build up.

A decent tank is a labour of love, and the last bit of advice i'll give is: if you're not feeling patient and not willing to do the extra work, then tropical fish are not for you and you should stick to goldfish.

I was with you up to the bit in bold. Goldfish need a cycled tank of at least 150L for the first fish, and about 30L per fish after that. They are massive waste producers and get HUGE.

If someone doesn't want to put in the time to cycle their tank, I believe that quite realistic plastic fish can be bought cheaply from toy shops.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I was with you up to the bit in bold. Goldfish need a cycled tank of at least 150L for the first fish, and about 30L per fish after that. They are massive waste producers and get HUGE.

If someone doesn't want to put in the time to cycle their tank, I believe that quite realistic plastic fish can be bought cheaply from toy shops.

Aye sorry, was going for the "fish in a bowl of green water analogy".

The filter I have in the tank has been used before in a tropical setup but I washed it out before putting it in the tank.
    Would this start up the process?, if not il just add fish food and let it breakdown itself.

Add the food to get your cycle started. If you washed the filter in tap water the chlorine will have killed the beneficial bacteria. Even if you washed it in dechlorinated if it's been without fish for more than about a day the bacteria would have starved.

Guess il just have to wait so:(

Use the time to get your landscaping sorted. Are you planning to use any rocks or plants?

kylith wrote: »
    Use the time to get your landscaping sorted. Are you planning to use any rocks or plants?

Probably go with rocks for the time being.
    I have a few plastic plants in the tank at the moment.

Advertisement