Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Interests

Options
  • 11-11-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Just a sort of speculative thread starter.

I was curious about other interests you may all enjoy. Perhaps you can say why and see if anybody takes up the same interests by what you say?

I will start.

I am a typical sort of man in that I do like my sport. I used to play or take part in a few, some I was fair at, many I was useless at, but now due to the passage of time I am mostly a spectator. Yes I like football and both codes of rugby, I like hurling when I can get to see it. I like motorsports (There is a very good track not far from where I live)

Outside of sports I like paleontology (fossils) I am on the paleontolgy forum here on boards.ie (If you like dinosaurs and such the link is in my signature)

I like astronomy too and this along with paleontology has been of interest to me since I was a little lad.

I do like a good book, and I can sit and read novels from any genre (apart from romantic stuff) and I like music of most kinds too.

I don't have any real hobbies anymore, and I would like to find one that interests me.

I think that will do for a thread starter. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm a Viking! I may have mentioned this before ;) Its called reenactment and involves researching an era and engaging in 'living history' performances having made clothes, learned crafts or in the case of most of the fellas, learned to fight. Its good fun and you get to be involved in all sorts of strange situations - the most recent being spending a day in the National Heritage Park in Ferrycarrig then sleeping in the (reproduction) iron-age ring fort. I may have mentioned that too :D

Apart from that I enjoy crafts and reading fantasy and spending way too much time on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I like social history and love old castles and nation trust type properties I even like old graveyards, plus I like hillwalking and general exploring of new places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I like genealogy, and not just charts I like to try to get a feel for the people not just a name and a date. I suppose that's just another form of being nosy. I like watching American football on TV - It's too cold to sit in the stands. In summer I like swimming, walking is fun too and I like taking random photos. I enjoy reading, mainly fiction. Do not like romance novels - do like good mystery or horror tale.I do some crafty things- sewing, painting, sketches and some woodworking. I write a little and am trying to write down the stories my family have passed down - just for my own amusement and maybe for the young ones in the family. I never really knew my grandparents well and only through the stories told to me have I got a glimpse of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

Find this a really interesting thread, as this is something I have been thinking about a lot this year due to change in circumstances. I have always loved reading and cooking, I run but only to get fit (just getting back into it so not great), not something that I really enjoy. I canoed for many years but gave up when the kids came along as it was too time consuming, tried it again this year but was terrified, but definitely will do more next spring/summer. I love words and sometimes just go through old dictionaries looking for unusual words. I adore Shakespeare, especially seeing it live. Hill walking was always a favourite but not as fit as I was, long story, and am looking to find a hill walking group that will be kind to someone trying to get back to fitness. I'm a member of a book club and think that has been my only real outlet for the past year. I've been trying to find a new outlet and photography was one suggestion that really interested me. Thanks for the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You could try combining photography and hillwalking. Most photowalks tend to be rather lesurly with frequent stops to take shots. The last photowalk I was on took us two hours to go about half a mile. :D
    Keep an eye on the Photography Events forum or on Photowalk.ie.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I love Irish history and am particularly interested in the Irish men who fought in WW1. Like other posters, I like genealogy and have traced my line back to 1822. This has involved dragging poor Mr Jos around graveyards in the remotest parts of Kerry. I don't spend all my time dredging up the past, I also love to bake, cook and read. I also cycle and take long walks which is essential to counteract the damage done by my baking and cooking.
    This is the first time in ages that I actually have spare time so I plan to take up some of my old interests including yoga and kayaking. My favourite thing to do is to spend time with good friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

jos28 wrote: »
    I love Irish history and am particularly interested in the Irish men who fought in WW1. Like other posters, I like genealogy and have traced my line back to 1822. This has involved dragging poor Mr Jos around graveyards in the remotest parts of Kerry. I don't spend all my time dredging up the past, I also love to bake, cook and read. I also cycle and take long walks which is essential to counteract the damage done by my baking and cooking.
    This is the first time in ages that I actually have spare time so I plan to take up some of my old interests including yoga and kayaking. My favourite thing to do is to spend time with good friends and family.

That is how I found Boards.ie in the first place. A contact of mine (Nice Irish lad ... I say nice cos he supports Everton too) told me about Boards.ie on the Everton forum/site I frequent and as I was tracing my grandfathers history I came on here. The Geneology forum here is very friendly and helpful. I can now trace my family back to 16th century or thereabouts. I went over to Dublin in February while I was recuperating from a bout of ill health and traced what happened to my great grandfather (A bit of a family mystery) Anyway the family are Dubliners as far as I an trace it back ( and some went over to Kings County / Offally to farm) I still hope to trace some relatives in Ireland, although I think our branch died out there some time ago. Nearest I can find are my grandfather's uncles who all emigrated to USA. But I did go to Aungier Street and look for where they lived but time didn't allow a great amount of searching.

Rubecula, that's a great story about your introduction to boards. I agree that the people over in the genealogy forum are very helpful and friendly. They have helped me out many times. Fair play to you for getting so far back with your search. Hopefully you get to delve further into your Dublin heritage. With any luck you might be able to link your Evertonian and Dublin connections and send some new talented players over to Mr Trappatoni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Right now I’m frantically enjoying several hobbies with loads of others waiting in the wings. My interests are history, genealogy, walking, cooking, baking, reading, writing, taking photographs of almost everything I see then deleting all the bad ones, I wouldn’t call it photography though, gardening (badly), veggie-growing, meeting up with friends, crafts I can do and crafts I can’t do, solo dancing (himself refuses), I also regularly enrol for lots of courses to learn something new. Occasionally go to concerts and plays. I watch too much TV. Seriously addicted to the internet. On top of all that I am a mother, wife, housekeeper, budget controller, shopper, amateur accountant, banker, cleaner, nurse, teacher, caterer, gardener, interior designer, flower arranger, driver, fundraiser, adviser, comforter and personal counsellor to my family. Everything else I fit in around all of these. Oh yes, I’m still job-hunting too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Hey J.B., you missed out :

Keeping the medical profession employed

( whould ya ever try to take it a bit 'azy ? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Obviously, my interests at this time of year are

1. Snoozing in my bed beside the Aga

2. Seeing that I dont miss out on any scraps of food

Seen as how ye are all on De Geneology thing

One summer a few years ago I suffered a burst of energy and had a go at digging up the oul ancestors.

Got as far back as finding a micro film copy of the census return that the great great great grandfather had completed in 1841. At the time he claimed to be 60.

So, he was alive for the French Revolution and before there were any canals in the country. These things used to be history...but not any more. Shure 'twas only yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

This Genealogy lark can be dangerous. I tried a drop of it a while back and discovered a real problem.

I tracked back on my mothers side, and during my tracking I came across one Abraham John Le Mesurier who was born on Gurnsey back in 1748.

Later on I was tracking back on my father's side and who should be lurking there? Yup. One Abraham John Le Mesurier who was born on Gurnsey back in 1748.

So my Great Great Great Grandfather is also my Great Great Great Great Grandfather. And what does that make me? My own son? My own father? Am I in an incestuous relationship with myself? Can anyone help me, or is too late?

Oh, and while I am here... Hobbies [just to prove I'm on topic]..... Writing and sleeping. Don't have time for anything else as the days fly by too quickly.

Grandad Himself, you might be related to the actor John Le Mesurier whose mum was born in Alderney in the Channel Islands. But maybe that’s just a common name in those parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    you might be related to the actor John Le Mesurier

He was my father's first cousin [and the living image of him!]

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Right now I’m frantically enjoying several hobbies with loads of others waiting in the wings. My interests are history, genealogy, walking, cooking, baking, reading, writing, taking photographs of almost everything I see then deleting all the bad ones, I wouldn’t call it photography though, gardening (badly), veggie-growing, meeting up with friends, crafts I can do and crafts I can’t do, solo dancing (himself refuses), I also regularly enrol for lots of courses to learn something new. Occasionally go to concerts and plays. I watch too much TV. Seriously addicted to the internet. On top of all that I am a mother, wife, housekeeper, budget controller, shopper, amateur accountant, banker, cleaner, nurse, teacher, caterer, gardener, interior designer, flower arranger, driver, fundraiser, adviser, comforter and personal counsellor to my family. Everything else I fit in around all of these. Oh yes, I’m still job-hunting too!

Does anyone in your house DARE ask ' and what have you been doing all day';) You are one busy woman

He was my father's first cousin [and the living image of him!]

That's sweet! He was one dashing chap. And oh so lovely!
    jos28 wrote: »
    Does anyone in your house DARE ask ' and what have you been doing all day';) You are one busy woman

Well what you must remember is that I don't do it all at the same time! :D Besides this just about describes most women today.

Advertisement