Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat starting to urinate in home.

• 11-11-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

my two and half year old female cat has started to pee randomly around our house-she started by weeing in the hall, last week on our kitchen counters & this morning we found two areas on a couch in our sitting room. This has only increased in in the last month.

We have reserached and tried all - she is (was) fully housetrained up till this. Litter box is spotless, same litter as always. Diet hasnt changed.
    We have bought a Feliway diffuser (3 weeks ago), covered the glass door near her litter box in case a local cat might have been outside.

She is a timid cat, but very close to us and my Mother-inlaw, who will call twice a day if we have to go away for one night over a weekend - this does not happen regularly.

We live in the country and a new neighbour has bought 2 lovely housecats with him. They are gentle and friendly and sometimes sit on our window sills, she is bonding with them, sat outside with them this morning so she knows they are not a threat at all.

We are at our wits end. We are booking her into the Vets tomorrow to see if she may have an infection of some sort but to be honest, we think her issue is more behavioural.

Would getting her a companion be of any help? Maybe she is lonely when we are at work or away and this is her way of making her point??

Would HUGELY appreciate any experience or advice - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It sounds like its cystitis.
    Def get a urine sample tested etc. We have a girl who would have done similar. Her issue was she was very timid and an easy target for being bullied. We found zylkene great for chilling her out. Its possible she is nervous of the other cats, it might seem that shes learning to get along with them but really she's not.

But first see what the tests reveal and get her sorted that way first and hopefully that will solve it.
    Also Urine off is great for getting rid of the smell of cat pee so cat is not tempted to pee in the same spot again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Washing powder (not the non bio) is great for clean ups, gets rid of the smell completely. Just add to warm water, clean area and rinse.
    I have two boys here that have had similar symptoms, suddenly peeing in obvious places, very out of character, it progressed to yowling when peeing at the worst times.
    It was infections in bladder caused by bladder crystals, the vet did a test on a sample.
    Its very common in males, less so in females due to wider urinary tract according to vet.
    I had to change the diet and get them drinking more, and its working well.
    But they do occasionally get a flare up and need antibiotics.
    Hopefully you caught it early.

If its not that, it could be behavioural, but to be honest it can be impossible to figure the cause. The two new cats seem like a likely trigger, even if she seems to be getting on with them, she's timid and may just be avoiding a fight, but as said above it may still be upsetting her.
    Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Having the same problem with our 3 year old male cat. Only started yesterday evening hope to get him to the vet tomorrow.

Is there anything we can do for him in the meantime?

Did the vet cost much?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Sounds like a urinary tract infection - cystitis - often exacerbated by stress but will likely need antibiotics and potentially anti-inflammatories.
    If you could get a urine sample and bring it to the vet, will help immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks so much guys, appreciate your posts and advice. Woke this morning to 2 new patches on the kitchen floor - needless to say she has very limited access around the house until we get this sorted!

Have an appt with the vet tomorrow morning so fingers crossed that will diagnose the issue and we can help her get back to normal. Will post here with any updates in the hope it will be of use to someone else.

On a related note - how on earth do you get a uring sample from a cat????!
    Also, if we did it this evening, would it be viable to give to the vet tomorrow morning?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My vet got the sample himself for one of my boys, the other he gave me strips to dip the next puddle I found and report back.(gave the meds in the mean time)

You could try watching for her to go and sticking a shallow container under her to catch some. I think its best to call and ask how long it would keep and how to store it (maybe fridge).
    Good luck, hope poor puss is ok.

The test strips seem like the business alright, might ring the vets and see if I can collect hem (if needed) this eve after work and bring one used, tomorrow morning.

After a google, it seems a plastic syringe, saple bottle with lid is required and just find where she has gone and take as much as I can. One suggestion is a small plastic box with shredded paper - should let the urine pass through to the bottom and hopefully collect some pooled at the end (one you move fast)

Honestly, sometimes I think raising a child would be easier ;) But we wouldnt change her for the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I've got this issue with one of my cats too. He's perfectly healthy, has been neutered, etc and it's not tom cat spray, it's just pi$$ing on the floor. He's a very loving and adorable cat, knows exactly what his litter tray is for and is (otherwise) exceptionally clean.

I think it could be a bold streak to be honest. I've caught him standing up on the kitchen table and pi$$ing down on to the floor. I think he knows well what he's at because on that occasion, even before I could let a shout, he jumped down and ran off once he heard me coming. If it wasn't such a nuisance I would laugh about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

How did you get on? If your vet is doing a urinalysis make sure they dont just rely on the "dipsticks" on their own. They should only be used as a guide and should always be followed up with microscopic analysis. If they dont do that insist on it, its not an accurate analysis without it even if your dipstick isnt showing anything. A fresh, mid stream morning sample is the "optimum" sample to get but not always possible (near impossible) with cats. Also take it pre food as protein will show up if she eats then you collect. Samples should be as fresh as possible i.e that day or within hours if you can. If you can only get one the night before store it in the fridge as it will slow down bacterial activity.

A tip for litter tray collection is not to use anything absorbent. Use small plastic polystyrene balls or the stuff you get as packaging. They just need the sensation of digging and "covering it up", but it means you get a clean sample with relatively no contamination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 macleod76

We have this problem at the moment aswell its a pain in the a**e we keep finding pools on the floor need to bring him to the vet.

• Advertisement

Well - OP here,

so the trip to the vets was well worth it. She took a urine sample (pressed gently on cat's tummy and got it that way) and did a quick blood test. There was slight traces of blood in urine and her white blood cell count was high.

She was given an injection immediately and we have been giving her tablets (morning, night since) the peeing has stopped but she has been getting sick on the tablets so we have eased off on them and are returning to the vet this week for a look and new tests.

Her appetite seems to be coming back slowly, so hopefully the tablets were just a bit strong and there isnt any other underlying illness.

Relief to have the urinating finished with -once we can ger our cat back to full health we are flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Well - OP here,

so the trip to the vets was well worth it. She took a urine sample (pressed gently on cat's tummy and got it that way) and did a quick blood test. There was slight traces of blood in urine and her white blood cell count was high.

She was given an injection immediately and we have been giving her tablets (morning, night since) the peeing has stopped but she has been getting sick on the tablets so we have eased off on them and are returning to the vet this week for a look and new tests.

Her appetite seems to be coming back slowly, so hopefully the tablets were just a bit strong and there isnt any other underlying illness.

Relief to have the urinating finished with -once we can ger our cat back to full health we are flying!

Yay thats great to hear- its awful when they are sick. my guy got a kidney infection two weeks ago- same thing peeing in the middle of the floor, not getting to his box in time.Its seems to be an epidemic this time of year

Glad your littles ones all better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NeatFreak_

What's the best way to get rid of male cat urine smell from a leather couch? He's also peed on the dog's bed and spare bed, the mattress is destroyed unfortunately. He doesn't have a kidney infection as we brought him to the vet.

He and his sister are indoor cats (we've lost 3 cats on our road so couldn't go through that again). He escaped for 24 hours during the heatwave, the kitchen window was open too wide. Since he's come back he's peeing.

HELP! Smell is awful. We've had to throw away the mattress :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Protein bug based leaner is what I'd use in general but don't know if they can be used on leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Try "Get Off Cleaner Neutraliser". Works wonders.

Advertisement