Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 35 minute 10km before I die

• 11-11-2012 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Once more into the breach.
    Took a month off, so back about 5 weeks. Not training to any particular plan at the moment. Just clocking up some easy workouts.
    Typical week. 20-30km run, 30-50km cycle, 2-3km swim, roughly 5hr/wk training every day if i can.
    I've a very loose peak winter target of 50km run, 100km cycle, 5km swim.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AowEiEtug01XdHg3RFN5Um13SWZqS3g4UWxKMUdvZ0E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Donelson wrote: »
    Once more into the breach.
    Took a month off, so back about 5 weeks. Not training to any particular plan at the moment. Just clocking up some easy workouts.
    Typical week. 20-30km run, 30-50km cycle, 2-3km swim, roughly 5hr/wk training every day if i can.
    I've a very loose peak winter target of 50km run, 100km cycle, 5km swim.

Might not be a bad idea to take a look at his article:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19258&PageNum=5

My training looked similar enough to this the first time I went from 36 to 35 flat. I was coming back from injury in november and ran 35 flat in Feb. Looking at your log over the last year I feel you have the work ethic required to hit the target I think the focus of training is the factor but I think it can and will fall into place for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

ecoli wrote: »
    Might not be a bad idea to take a look at his article:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19258&PageNum=5

My training looked similar enough to this the first time I went from 36 to 35 flat. I was coming back from injury in november and ran 35 flat in Feb. Looking at your log over the last year I feel you have the work ethic required to hit the target I think the focus of training is the factor but I think it can and will fall into place for you

Thanks very much for the kind words and the link ecoli :).
    I'm a lot more humble and realistic this year, so hopefully I'm make some progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Best of luck with going sub 35 man. You still following the FIRST program?

Best of luck with going sub 35 man. You still following the FIRST program?

Thanks dogslysmile, race you to it! :)

Re FIRST, for now no, just working on getting an aerobic base back, lots and lots of easy training and going every where on the bike. When i get back in shape, i will probably use a good few sessions from the plan. Last year i got it wrong, too much intensity and not enough easy. It's taken me a year to work out that it's the easy stuff that make the intense stuff really work.
    I've also looked at the daniels plan, when you drill down the plans aren't that different. Intervals in FIRST = sprints in daniels and there is a little more milage in daniels. But otherwise sessions and pacing aren't that different.

btw congrats on a great DCM result!

I read ecoli's link yesterday and went back to it today to find it had disappeared. :(

Just in the door from a bit 11km of rotteness having only remebered half way round that I hadn't put on the imersion for a shower, so I'm sitting here cold and damp. :(

There's a google doc in my first post with my training details. I do love a good graph. :o

Enniscorthy 10km in feb looks good as a season opener.
    http://www.runireland.com/events/enniscorthy-10k

I'm off to see if the water is above freezing yet.

• Advertisement

Crap nights sleep, decided to leave the bike at home and cut the swim session short at 1250m as stroke had gone to pot by 1000m. And you shouldn't pratice stuggle - good advice given to me by the total imersion book.
    Ate all sorts of ****, skipped breakfast and brought no lunch. Will do better tomorrow!

Just in for a 14km run in 1hr on the button.

week summary, assuming I make it to the pool tomorrow......
    Run 35km, cycle 33km, swim 3.5km and yoga, total training time approx 6hr.
    That looks like a decent week. :)

Plan for next week is 42km and running every second day. I'm heading for Denmark so I'll have to adjust to the cold bbbrrrr!!!!!! :pac:

***made it to the pool***

so far this week 2x10km run and 20km cycle, people inviting me out for diner and drinks. What are they like. :o

I had plans to try and catch up on the weekend but it is looking doubtfull :o.

Oh and living in a hotel is a flipping disaster for the waist line!

It would appears it's running season, I've no pool :(, there is snow on the ground, so the bike is a no-no.
    Running on average just under 7km a day, up and down hills in the snow! speed has dropped to 4:45-5:00+. but with 600m+ of climbing.
    I'm here for the next two weeks so I'm going to push on and see if I can make it to 10km a day averge.
    I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, running around the woods in the dark with a head torch, it definitely beats CNN! :)

My 10 day rolling average has dropped from a peak 8,056m to 7,000m.
    But I've had some interesting runs. Yesterday was at an altitude of 1400m and a temperature of -12degs.
    I don't think what I am doing now is working, I don't think I am getting any fitter. But I don't know what to do!
    I am heading home next week, so I'll get some time in the pool and I will try and keep my rolling average moving in the right direction.
    I might even put on all my clothes and go for a cycle.

• Advertisement

I had a two day lay off with travel and some good bye beers. Average has dropped to 7,300 per day. I'm back in the pool 500m yesterday and 1000m today. legs were tired today but the pace was quick yesterday (13km@4:16) :o so maybe I overcooked it a little. I think my scales is banjaxed I stood on it a couple of times in a row with varying results. :rolleyes:
    I've decided to do the new years day run in the phonix park again this year. Should give me an Idea where I am this year versus last year. I'll be asked santie for some speed for christmas!

I'm going to have a crack at my winter weekly peak target this week
    I have 29.5km run/2.5km swum in the last 3 days. That gives me 4 days to cycle 100km, run 20.5km, and swim 2.5km. Breaking that down into days.......
    Tuesday 10.5km run
    Wednesday 10km run, 1.5km swim
    Thursday 50km bike, and 1km swim
    Friday 50km bike, and maybe 10km run, but definitely a good few beers!

Right I've said it now :pac:

This has been a 600lb gorilla of a week! but I've one short bike session to go before a rest/hangover/house work day tomorrow.

Numbers for the week
    Run: 60km 10day average 8,450
    Cycle: 101km
    Swim: 5.025km
    Others: 90mins of Yoga

Total R/B/S time about 10.5hr and about 5000cal so that about 50 mince pies I can have :pac:

As sad as it sounds I'm actually looking forward to spending the day only doing house work tomorrow! :o

wow! easily my worst run in months. felt like **** from the off, stopped at 6k 8k and finally at 9.5k. I'd usually be fresh after a days rest. but not this time, thank you Mr alcohol.

I have been thinking about training plans, and most of the good plans are largerly the same. You have your aerobic session, your Latic Threshold/tempo sessions and your speed sessions. With those ingerdiants, you just have to decide on your quanitities, stir them around abit and put them in the oven at gas-mark 7 for six months and hay pressto you have a 10km cake. Keeping with this analogy there are far more bad cooks than there are bad reciepies.

With the above comments in mind I think I was unduly critical of the run less run faster (RLRF) plan. If I am honest, it let me produce a PB with less training and while being in worse shape then ever before :pac:

So here is the crux! the RLRF plan really does work but it works best if your in good shape! If you're like me and eat too much of the wrong thing then you need more work :o

So this is what I plan to do.
    1) Stick with the RLRF plan for short tempo and interval work.
    2) Up my distances on my long runs using 75% of mhr as my max and ignoring pace. (186-42)*0.75+42 = 150bpm.
    3) Aim to get out running 6 days a week.
    4) Run, cycle and swim more to burn more calories.
    5) Stay positive, work hard but enjoy it!

This is valuable training time I'm using right now, I should put on my runners and get out of the house :)

I'm just on here for a bit of a moan.....the pool is closed! it was supposed to reopen today but there's a sign on the door saying closed until further notice, I hope it's nothing serious and that it gets well soon!

Woohooo!! 9010m as my 10 day rolling average. I've been trying to push it over 9km for ages!
    Also in the mix this week is 2600m of windmilling in the swimming pool. It has been extra toasty in the pool because of the shut down. It has been so nice to get in and not be cold!

Now that I run my non-plan runs using my heart rate I thought I would push the boat and and head for the beach tonight. Just me the sea, a moonless, starless sky, and some gael force winds. with the head torch all you can see is what is in front of you and with the strong wind there was lots of sand moving about. So it was abit like running on mars until I turned around and the sand blasting begain.:pac: It's enough to say I am very well exfoliated! If I had one tip for this kind of run, it would be to leave a small light behind at the exit from the beach so that you don't go sailling on by it in the dark.:o Total run tonight was 12.6km

And vote for this guy OPENWATER SWIMMER OF THE YEAR - STEPHEN REDMOND

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056841711

Boom! and there goes 10,000m! 10day rolling average is now 10,110m

I was hoping to get out on the bike today but over slept by 4 hours :o so that was the end of that.

For todays run I decided to do a 5km time trial to get me back on the plan. I came in 18:52 but I'm going to round it up to 19min dead since it was measured using a garmin on a circular course. A supprise was that my hr refused to rise above 173 which is down about 10bpm from previous race efforts, I'm not sure if this is good or bad?

19min tt time give the following pacing
    400m 1:22, 600m 2:05, 800m 2:47, 1200m 4:17, 1600m 5:51
    short tempo 3:58, medium tempo 4:08, long tempo 4:17
    All of the above look very doable but maybe the extra km's next year will add to the work load.

Happy new year!

I'm going to have to repeat my 5km time trial because I think I fluffed it. :(
    I was thinking about the drop in heart rate versus previous race efforts and there is no good reason why it should have dropped.
    Either my heart has a new top speed or my muscles weren't working hard enough. I think it was second one. Which I am putting down to muscle fatigue. The plan now is to taking a days rest and retesting tomorrow (if possible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'm going to have to repeat my 5km time trial because I think I fluffed it. :(
    I was thinking about the drop in heart rate versus previous race efforts and there is no good reason why it should have dropped.
    Either my heart has a new top speed or my muscles weren't working hard enough. I think it was second one. Which I am putting down to muscle fatigue. The plan now is to taking a days rest and retesting tomorrow (if possible).

You are forgetting that even though a TT is designed to give you an accurate measurement of what you can run in a race, you will never replicate race day feel. There are a few things here which can affect HR;

1) Crowd. There is a big difference between lining up for a TT on your own and line up amongst 100s of people .
    2) Subconciously you know that a TT in the grabd scheme of things doesnt matter however after paying for a race, tapering off and going through pre race rituals you have alot more to lose in a race.

TT should be used as a gauge of but not the be all and end all. Dont get too hung up on running them too often. Two time trials in a week is excessive and all it is going to do is hinder training for the week with having to rest up twice. If you feel it didnt go to plan in terms of your fitness level I would ammend paces accordingly (be sensible about it and honest to yourself)

• Advertisement

Hi Ecoli, thanks for the advise, I will skip the TT and start working with the paces as is. I am probably being impatient, and maybe it is better to running too easy rather than too hard so early in the season.
    So tonight I will stick with the plan and run 8x400m and do a recovery run of ~15km tomorrow.

Had a great session last night, bounced through the intervals on fresh legs :D
    Pacing wasn't flat out but was quick enough to give the legs a good workout with no soreness this morning.

Today was a bit of a slog-athon 10km commute on the bike, 1km swim and 16km run at under 150bpm

Tomorrow is short tempo with 5km at just under 4min/km. This session will push me over 83km for the week!
    I never thought I'd see the day I'd run 50miles in a week. I think I'm offical a high mileage runner :eek: :eek::eek:

Look what the cat dragged in!

It's a method for estimating VO2 max based on resting HR and max HR
    Basically you take your max hr divide it by your resting (supine) hr and multiply by 15. This assumes that you are a well trained athlete, now I'm not sure what that mean exactly but based on the link you would have a BMI of about 23 and train for about 8.7 hr a week.

https://pure.au.dk/portal/files/14557663/UTH2004.pdf

This gives me an estimated VO2 max of ~69+/-5%, based on other on line predictors for achieveable race times for a given VO2 max i shoud be able to run my goal time (assuming I become a well trained athlete)

Turning it all around if I had a VO2 max score of 61 or below I would not be able to run my time, and that equates to a RHR (supine) of 46bpm or above.

If all of the above is true then it is either my latic threshold or my running economy that is holding me back.

First week back to the plan. So far so good, I've hit all my pacings/distances etc.

I think my recovery runs are a little quick as I seem to be carrying some fatigue over to the following day. bpm is still under 150 but pace is dropping towards 4:35/km, so I'll start aiming for 140bpm. I must admit the recovery runs are pretty boring maybe it's time to get an mp3 player?

I noticed that I hit ~83km in a week which is max distance fo RFRL + 3 (16km) recovery runs, Weekly distances will be between 69-83km which is only a warm up for some of the guys here but loads for me!

I'm taking a rest day tomorrow and I am off plan next week as I'll be travelling to the cold snowy back end of europe and there's never a gym in the hotels we get to stay in.:(
    Maybe I can get some km's done running the wrong way on the travelators at the airports! :pac:

ps: I forgot to mention I think I might have passed Fionnuala Britton (going the other way obviously :)) on my run in Wexford town today and to think I wasn't even going to go to Wexford today. Anyway if anybody could confirm I'm not imagining things that would be great!

|Run (km)|Swim (km)|Bike (km)|Total Hours
    YTD|64.8|3.1|10|6.9
    Weekly|75.8|3.1|10|7.6

YTD|135.9|5.1|10|13.4
    Weekly|71.1|2.0|0.0|6.5

This week started terribly with late flights and early mornings, but I managed to pull it back to a respectable 71k. I did miss one of my key session for the week but that was better than I had expected. :)
    This week's sessions have all been on a frozen lake, which is a bit of a double edge sword. There is no traffic to worry about but it is quiet exposed to the wind which makes it seriously cold. -5 here feels closer to -15 with the wind and second it is freakishly easy to get lost in the dark, getting lost would be a very very bad idea. :eek:

I see on next weeks plan there are 2 x 1600m intervals, which are paced about 3:40/km I am very tempted to have a crack at 3:30/km pace for these.
    Why because it is one of those sessions you hear loads about "one mile repeats at race pace" and I would really like to get at least one under my belt!

Easing back on the recovery runs (fat burners) to 140bpm has done the trick as it is leaving me a lot fresher for the hard sessions.

Finally swimming here is a little mad, I'm not sure if just this town, but they swim around the pool here. Like in a giant square! fast guys near the wall, slow folks in the middle. It is extremely weird at first because you keep bumping into people in the corners but once you get the hang of it is ok. However counting laps is very confusing!

On here for a bit of a crow. It's alway nice to point out the good stuff. :D

Looking at the log I have covered 103km in the last 7 days, that is 100+km in a week. holy moly! :D

Today I did 2 no. 1 mile repeats at race pace. In Finland in the snow in the depths of WINTER. :D Straight down the middle of main street, I wouldn't have been supprise if the police had been called.

Flying home tomorrow so it's an offical rest day. Well earned I reckon :)

YTD|206.4|6.1|15|19.4
    Weekly|70.5|1.0|5.0|6

I am probably stating the obvious here but the 1 mile repeats where too much too soon. :o But something is only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

In general my training has gone to pot since I got home, may be it's the change in climate, food etc or may be I've picked up a bug, airports are usually pretty good for bugs. So this week I'll be playing it by ear and backing off where I need to.

Thoughts on training.....Short tempo pacing should be at approximately Latic threshold pace, and I remember reading that you can maintain a speed about 4-6% faster than this for the duration of a 10km.
    If the above is true my race pace should be about 3:47/km or 37:50min for 10km. Whichs looks about right and give me a PB by 3sec :pac:

p.s. Using Mcmillian to calculating 5km time from 10km race results my year might look like this. Round one 37:50, Round two 36:20, and Round three 35:00.

Throwing up another post because It helps me stick to stuff.

I've been thinking about moving my recovery runs to the morning time, but I would usually start work around 7:30am. Which means on the run 6am at the latest.

So tonight will be my LSR for the week and tomorrow morning will be a short recovery run. :eek:

As an aside did you know that how much glucose you have affects your breathing rate, ergo it really is harder to run in the mornings :pac:

P.S. Done and done, very tough run Monday evening, Tuesday was an easy 10km

no joy this morning, heard the rain lashing the window and that was that. the weather man had said it would be dry until 9. I was actually looking forward to it, had the gear ready and all. I'll do my best to get out tonight but this rain will have to ease up first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

no joy this morning, heard the rain lashing the window and that was that. the weather man had said it would be dry until 9. I was actually looking forward to it, had the gear ready and all. I'll do my best to get out tonight but this rain will have to ease up first!

Hey man- I look in at your log every now and then- hope you don't mind a bit of a kick up the as* but you need to HTFU and get out when its raining if you wanna run 34:$£ . You can bet your bottom dollar the other lads toeing the line at your next race were out training today.... rant over

Advertisement