Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sub 35 minute 10km before I die

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

drquirky wrote: »

Hey man- I look in at your log every now and then- hope you don't mind a bit of a kick up the as* but you need to HTFU and get out when its raining if you wanna run 34:$£ . You can bet your bottom dollar the other lads toeing the line at your next race were out training today.... rant over

your right, but they're all nutters :)
    if it had just been normal rain I would have been out, but it was lashing.
    there's a gap in the rain after seven, so I'll be out then!

Nationality | Name | 5km | 10km | Heigth cm | Weight kg | BMI
    ETH | Kenenisa Bekele | 12:37.4 | 26:17.5 | 160 | 54 | 21.1
    ETH | Haile Gebrselassie | 12:39.4 | 26:22.7 | 165 | 56 | 20.6
    KEN | Paul Tergat | 12:49.9 | 26:27.9 | 182 | 62 | 18.7
    QAT (KEN) | Nicholas Kemboi | 13:01.1 | 26:30.0 | 163 | 50 | 18.8
    ETH | Abebe Dinkesa | 12:55.9 | 26:30.1 | 169 | 55 | 19.3
    KEN | Micah Kogo | 13:00.8 | 26:35.6 | 170 | 60 | 20.8
    KEN | Paul Koech | 12:56.3 | 26:36.3 | 170 | 60 | 20.8
    ERI | Zersenay Tadese | 12:59.3 | 26:37.3 | 160 | 56 | 21.9
    MAR | Salah Hissou | 12:50.8 | 26:38.1 | 176 | 62 | 20.0
    QAT (KEN) | Abdullah Ahmad Hassan | 12:56.3 | 26:38.8 | 170 | 54 | 18.7
    ETH | Sileshi Sihine | 12:47.0 | 26:39.7 | 171 | 55 | 18.8
    UGA | Boniface Kiprop Toroitich | 12:57.1 | 26:39.8 | 167 | 53 | 19.0
    KEN | Samuel Wanjiru | 13:12.4 | 26:41.8 | 163 | 52 | 19.6
    KEN | Eliud Kipchoge | 12:46.5 | 26:49.0 | 170 | 56 | 19.4
    KEN | Moses Ndiema Masai | 12:50.6 | 26:49.2 | 168 | 54 | 19.1
    KEN | Sammy Kipketer | 12:52.3 | 26:49.4 | 166 | 52 | 18.9
    KEN | Moses Mosop | 12:54.5 | 26:49.5 | 165 | 54 | 19.8
    ETH | Assefa Mezgebu | 12:53.8 | 26:49.9 | 175 | 55 | 18.0
    KEN | Richard Limo | 12:56.7 | 26:50.2 | 167 | 53 | 19.0
    KEN | Charles Kamathi | 13:02.5 | 26:51.5 | 165 | 51 | 18.7
    KEN | William Sigei | 13:06.1 | 26:52.2 | 178 | 57 | 18.0
    BEL (MAR) | Mohammed Mourhit | 12:49.7 | 26:52.3 | 170 | 64 | 22.1
    ETH | Gebre-egziabher Gebremariam | 12:52.8 | 26:52.3 | 178 | 56 | 17.7
    KEN | John Cheruiyot Korir | 13:09.6 | 26:52.9 | 172 | 57 | 19.3
    KEN | Mark Bett | 12:55.6 | 26:52.9 | 180 | 64 | 19.8
    KEN | Leonard Komon | 12:58.2 | 26:57.1 | 175 | 52 | 17.0
    KEN | Josphat Muchiri | 13:05.3 | 26:57.4 | 170 | 53 | 18.3
    KEN | Yobes Ondieki | 13:01.8 | 26:58.4 | 168 | 55 | 19.5
    USA | Chris Solinsky | 13:12.2 | 26:59.6 | 185 | 73 | 21.3
    KEN | Bernard Kipyego | 13:10.0 | 26:59.6 | 160 | 50 | 19.5

I got the figure from lets run http://www.letsrun.com/2010/heightweight0504.php

Interesting facts on the BMI
    Highest 22.1
    Average 19.4
    Lowest 17.0

Average Weight for this table 56.2Kg

Runner here with the same height, weight and BMI as me = Mohammed Mourhit. EPO must weigh a lot as I'm no where near as skinny as that guy! :pac:

|Run (km)|Swim (km)|Bike (km)|Total Hours
    YTD|294.0|11.3|17.5|28.9
    Weekly|87.6|5.2|2.5|9.5

I've lost a good few recovery km's to the wind and rain this week, got out for all the planned run but cut them short when the cold and damp started to bit.
    This is the longest week on the First schudule so it panned out ok.
    So far I've hit all my numbers on the plan, with last night being a complete tug of war with the only lit road in the town lining up with the wind. This is only half way through week four! :o

Just over the horizon is my first race of the year the enniscorthy 10km.
    My prep for this is to clean up my diet and to swap my runs around so I have one recovery day and one rest day leading into the race.
    6680302483_46b5fc8a3e_z.jpg
    Blue = intervals, purple = tempo, green = long tempo, red = total.

I had U2's Joshua Tree on the new mp3 player all week, there where some really apt lyrics, The following really caught the mood.

"In the howling wind comes a stinging rain
    See it driving nails
    Into the souls on the tree of pain"

"And he's peeling off those dollar bills
    Slapping them down
    One hundred, two hundred"

Very poor session last night, too tired, but it's fairly obvious where I went wrong.

Thursday - Ran the intervals a little fast, and skimped on the recovery, but I really enjoy these sessions, and don't find them taxing.

Friday - Ran my recovery run way too fast (<4:30) to get out of the wind driving rain.

Saturday - ran the longest short tempo on the plan at the correct pace but with strong wind and heavy rain.
    The effort level was definitely higher than the short tempo should be, and probably closer to interval effort in places.

Sun - ground out a recovery run. I did not feel very recovered after this.

Monday - Could not get warm in work - breathing was short shallow, which I already know is a sign of fatigue.
    Hit the pacing on the plan for the 15km, which took a huge amount of effort and I was ran with appalling form so everything ached.
    This session should be fluid, medium-low intensity but instead was a pure slog.

Mix the above in with 208 lengths of the pool and some poor sleep and I'm toast.
    The up shot of all this is I'm taking an extra rest day today and the planned rest day tomorrow.

Lessons learn!
    1) 3 intense sessions in 3 days is the road to ruin.
    2) If I know I am too tired, It is better to take an early rest day followed by a strong session, rather than grind out a poor and counter productive session followed by an enforced rest day.
    3) I have to allow for conditions, maybe something like 1s/km for every 1m/s above 10m/s wind.

This is my sorry tale, so I'm off to lick my wounds. :(

Table below based off a 19min 5km time for both with "speedster" option on the Macmillan calculator.

Run Type | FIRST | McMillan
    Short Tempo/Tempo Run | 3.59 | 3:57-4:07
    Mid Tempo/Steady State Run | 4.08 | 4:08-4:19
    Long Tempo | 4.17 | N/A
    Easy | 4.48 | 4:27-5:04
    | |
    400m | 1.22 | 1:21-1:25
    600m | 2.05 | N/A
    800m | 2.47 | 2:45-2:53
    1000m | 3.31 | 3:36-3:45
    1200m | 4.17 | 4:20-4:31
    1600m | 5.53 | 5:52-6:08
    2000m | 7.24 | N/A

• Advertisement

YTD|369.5|16.3|20|36.4
    Weekly|75.5|5.0|2.5|7.5

A quiet week, not much to report, Next week will be a bit of challenge, Heading to Houston tomorrow and back thursday. It's killing me that I'll be in the home of NASA and not have any time for sight see. :(
    Anyway I am hoping to get a session in tomorrow morning before I go and I will bring my gear.

Yes here it is the first race of the year. :)
    I'm going to demolish this race,
    I'm going to stroll around in 37mins.
    It's going to be epic :D Hooraaa!

Best of luck to everybody who is out racing the today!

Donelson wrote: »
    Yes here it is the first race of the year. :)
    I'm going to demolish this race,
    I'm going to stroll around in 37mins.
    It's going to be epic :D Hooraaa!

Best of luck to everybody who is out racing the today!

And so it was! :D Happy days! !! 45sec pb

Nerves where ticking over all morning. Breakfast was 2 glasses of sugary coke and out the door to the race.
    Arrived to register with an hr to race start. Conditions today where as good as I would dare hope for in Febuary. No rain, ok wind, mild with no frost. A very gentle warm up with maybe 2km, meet some runners I knew and I ended up chatting for at least 15min. We finally gather for race start and I stayed with the guys I'd been chatting with and we end up near the very back. I wasn't too worried as I actually hadn't expected much from this race.
    Bang the gun goes, and i start running and soon end up in the the ditch trying to pass some very slow joggers. All my own fault for trying to be socialable!.
    First km of race has a nice gradual up hill and I hit the top at 3:54 so I was well off my planned pace. I decide to forget the plan and I soon find myself motoring at 3:41 with a small element of panic that I might blow up, but the course is up and down so It's had to make sense of the pacing. So I plogh on and hit the 5km turn, again the watch showed 3:41. I'm convinced it must be up hill all the way home. At this stage my position begins to settle and I start chasing one jersey at a time. I must have spent at least 2km hauling the guy in front, one stride at a time. Finally we exchange plesentries as I pass. "Too much hill" "Too much hill" I can only agree and push on for home. Now the course opens up and the shelter from the trees disappear, I feel the breeze and do my best to ignore it. 3km to go and I'm detrimined to catch one more runner before the race ends. Slowly slowy I catch the guys in front the gap see-sawing with the hills. With 5oom to go I pass, making a big effort to make it a clean pass in the hope he won't hang on my tail. I think I'm free of him with the line in sight, I was wrong he come back, with some sering pace, I try to go with him, no chance, that guy had some pace. I turn the final corner the clock to my amazment says 37:20, my final chip time was 37:05. Happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice one, good racing and well done on pb!

tisnotover wrote: »
    nice one, good racing and well done on pb!

Thanks you very much!

Now back to the humdrum, I forgot to post my training numbers for last week, it was a poor week. :o

YTD|396.5|16.3|22.5|39.4
    Weekly|27|0.0|2.5|3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Really enjoying your log. In amongst the travel and titbits of info you put out, your writing is great!
    Great run at the weekend.

Really enjoying your log. In amongst the travel and titbits of info you put out, your writing is great!
    Great run at the weekend.

cheers :)
    I only really keep it so that in very unlikely event that I dont make to 34:59 I can console myself by looking back at all the effort and hard work. as cheese as it sound, results come and go but you'll always be proud of how hard you've worked.

YTD|457.5|18.8|25|45.4
    Weekly|61|2.5|2.5|6

I'm pretty pisted off with myself this week, I've been taking the mick, eating all sorts of **** and not getting the mileage in. I will get my act together this week. :mad:

I've also come to the conclusion that I'm an overtrainer :eek: (or at least an under recoverer) All joking aside I tend to train well for a couple of weeks and then fall completely off the wagon. eg the last two weeks. I don't tend to get injuries, or illness :) but I do get very very tired. To the point where I can put my head down on the desk in work and nod off, heck I can even sleep on planes! This is no big deal but I don't think it is a sign of good training.

So I've been reading up on overtraining and recognise a lot of the symptoms, but unfortuantely they are very sujective which leaves too much wiggle room for lazy me to take over.
    The only objective one I can point to is inablity to achieve a near max heart rate. Looking back at my log I can point to my initial 5k tt as a good example. The 2 weeks previous I had been chasing a winter peak of 100km bike, 60km run and 5km swim. Now these are not extreme targets but they where a big jump for me at the time. The light bulb moment for all this was when I looked at my hr trace from my recent race and it peaked 6 beats higher with nearly the entire race having a higher hr than my max hr in the tt.

One more example from the log was the 1mile repeats although not an all out effort it was very close and again hr max was 173.
    So what am I going to do with this? I can't run 5k tt every week to check if I'm under-recovering. The best I can think of is to move my intervals to the end of my training week and keep a very close eye on my max HR if I don't hit 175 or above, either the intervals are too easy or I'm not fresh enough.

Furthermore, I've been reading up on Heart Rate variablity because of this tread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82909682
    I've looked at it in the past, but was not in the mood to have another gaget tell me what to do. My garmin watch was all i could handle!
    Essential HRV is an objective comparative of how quickly you recover from a given session. There is some good science behind it.

Anyway I've decided I will give it a go, but unlike rom's thead above I'll be trying it using the garmin strap and a suunto movestick mini ant usb stick.
    I'll be using the code found here http://code.google.com/p/hrvtracker/ instead of the ithlete app.
    If there is anybody reading this who has a garmin hr strap and an ant usb and would like to try it out I would be very interested to hear how you got on. I've download and installed the code/application and nothing bad has happened so I think it is ok. But I'll have to wait until my usb stick arrives before I can test it.

One last thing I have got a copy of JD running formula so I'm going to break down the 5-15km plan as see how it would compare to FIRST.

I think this is offically my longest ever post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Donelson wrote: »
    The only objective one I can point to is inablity to achieve a near max heart rate.

In training? In a 5k tt or a mile repeat? I'm not surprised you can't hit your max HR. It's very difficult to work as hard in training as you do during a race.
    (but if you want to, do some short hill repeats:pac:)

I don't think that indicates overtraining anyway. the HR sign, afaik, is a higher than usual resting heart rate.

RayCun wrote: »
    In training? In a 5k tt or a mile repeat? I'm not surprised you can't hit your max HR. It's very difficult to work as hard in training as you do during a race.
    (but if you want to, do some short hill repeats:pac:)

I don't think that indicates overtraining anyway. the HR sign, afaik, is a higher than usual resting heart rate.

Yes it is :p
    But as with everthing sport sciency I am willing to take it with a pinch of salt anyway here is an interesting link
    http://www.sportgeneeskunde.com/uploads/362/694/Hendriks_Overtraining.pdf

Re. resting heart rate, I find mine to be very inconsitant and it is really easy to change it with breathing pattern etc. so I'm not sure I can trust it/myself. :confused:

Time/Distance|McMil Eqv. 10k time

3hr marathon | 38:22
    30min 5 mile | 37:35
    3min 1k | 36:38
    10min 3k | 36:29
    5min mile | 36:03
    1hr 10 mile | 35:54

YTD|558.5|19.8|84.5|56.9
    Weekly|101|1|59.5|11.5

A mixed bag of a week. only 1km in the pool, I seem to have lost my swimming mojo.

The bike is finally back, which i'm really happy about. It is the best way of adding training without noticing it.

Run wise, only two key session this week, interals and a long tempo the rest was just slow 5min/km stuff. Again HR is maxing out at 173 :confused: It just races up to 173 and than just flatlines.

On a disapointing note my weight is starting to creep up again, and I'm away next week. The weather man has given a minus 8 and below bbbbrrrrrr!!!!!! The gear will be with me and i will do something but maybe not the 10x400's that are on the plan.

YTD|609|21.8|94.5|61.9
    Weekly|50.5|2|10|5

I'm not sure what happened this week. I went to switzerland and started drinking coffee again, which completely Fu^ks up my guts.
    I know this, so why the did i do it :mad::confused::mad: 3 training days down the drain!
    ^ how lame is this^

Any way I've been reading JD's Running formule and so far it looks like a very solid plan. I'll dig into it a bit more.

YTD|671.3|26.8|124.5|69.9
    Weekly|62.3|5|30|8

I had a family emergency this week so training was cut short. Still the numbers do not look great.
    On a positive note got 3 tough key sessions done.
    Onwards and upwards!

YTD|736.8|34.8|154.5|77.9
    Weekly|65.5|6|30|8

Another poor week, that makes it 3 in a row. :(
    Came down with something on Sunday so missed my long run and today's session. I'm still feeling rubish, so I can't see this week's numbers being much better. Life just ain't playing ball any more! Anyway I'm going to keep hacking away, this bad patch can't last forever! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What sort of sessions you doing?

What sort of sessions you doing?

Nothing fancy, I'm following the run less run faster plan. So 3 quality sessions a week, 1 set of intervals, 1 short/mid tempo run and 1 long run. On top of these I do 2 - 3 long slow runs (~16km) purely to burn off some weight.

http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/10K%20Training%20Program-metric.pdf

I do a throw in some swimming and cycling but only because I enjoy it. :)

Unfortunely I have a weak stomach which tortures me from time to time.

YTD|762.8|35.3|154.5|80.9
    Weekly|26|.5|0|3

I've been passing blood so maybe it was worse than I first guessed. Got back training on thursday and I've been taking it very easy and will continue in the same mode for this week. I hope to get a spring back in my step in time for a race this weekend.

YTD|820.8|36.3|194.5|87.9
    Weekly|58|1|40|7

3 months and 500miles and my tanks are empty. I'm taking 2 weeks off running and there will be no fast stuff for a month. Don't want to take this break but I got to stop the rot! I'm got keep training but it will only be the bike and the pool for a bit. Next time I'm on here it will be summer. :)

Boring but informative vid about different running styles. If your a glider you'll always be slow! :P

http://youtu.be/tJWPwVF30yo

The fast forward button is your friend!

3 weeks since my last run, went out for gentle jog last night and am now as stiff as a board.
    I've decided not to be so regemental, I'll still track time and precieved effort.
    here I go again!

I've cripplied myself. Calves where sore yesterday so took the bike out for 40ish km, thinking it just a bit of DOMs you can run tomorrow.
    Got up this morning and the Calves where screaming. :( not the whole thing just the muscles on the outsides. I'm not sure what I've done as I was only jogging on Monday night, it really has me confused. :o Recused the day by heading to the pool, I even won my unoffical race against the guy in the other lane who was only warming up and didn't realize he was racing. A small victory, but I'll take them where I can get them. :pac:

Advertisement