Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning,Torrential Rain & Gale Force Winds for Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Tuesday night/Wednesday's forecast still hasn't been nailed on.

The uncertainty arises from the developing low to develop two centres. If the focus to the more southerly centre then there is a severe threat to some parts of the country to damaging winds. However the more favoured outcome is for the more northerly centre to absorb the more southern centre and the result is a much lower risk.

Very uncertain situation.

So there isn't much chance of high winds now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Yet another hyped up non materialising event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hype vs forecasting possibilities?
    It's hard to blame any body for it mate, the people here do there best to point out the potential severity or lack of in an event. With so much variability in Irish weather any way, I don't think you'l ever be happy with any thing more than a 3 or 4 day forecast mate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Davaeo09 wrote: »

Hype vs forecasting possibilities?
    It's hard to blame any body for it mate, the people here do there best to point out the potential severity or lack of in an event. With so much variability in Irish weather any way, I don't think you'l ever be happy with any thing more than a 3 or 4 day forecast mate :pac:
    I agree but would you be so quick to defend net eireann if they made similar dramatic forecasts which rarely materialised?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gerry Murphy was on the 1250 forecast on Radio 1 and said it will become very windy along the West coast tomorrow afternoon and evening with some severe gusts possible on hilly and exposed locations,he said the winds will abate during the night. As Weathercheck said,a very uncertain situation, even this close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

:(

Think you may be possibly missing the point of the thread.

Not only to announce a possibility of a severe weather event but part of it is as much the anticipation, similar to Snow Watch threads.

Its all part of the fun and while therr is a serious element to these threads, the entertainment, interest and anticipation is (for me) part of what the weather forum is all about.

It would be very dull if there was no debate, opinion, forecasting and reporting from members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

97km/h gust at casement (not an everyday event in the east coast). Gusts of 85-90km/h at sherkin island, roches point and cork airport.

2 inches of rain (51mm) fell at Valentia, Kerry, in the 24 hrs from 6am Sunday.

A system like this does not bring strong winds and heavy rain to every village in Ireland. Where it does hit, it hits hard as evidenced above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tactical wrote: »
    It would be very dull if there was no debate, opinion, forecasting and reporting from members.

Be interesting to see what Deep Easterly and his Oslo Hirlam have projected for the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

In what sense has it been hyped up anyway? People have repeatedly said in this thread that there was nothing severe forecast and that it was being discussed out of interest because there's so little else happening. Tomorrow still isn't nailed down but as the met have said there's potential for strong winds yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Heard it was rough at the Saltees :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Watched bbc Northern Ireland weather fc on their website and there wasn't even a mention of the possibility of high winds for tomorrow. I think it ain't looking to good for us storm lovers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It never was looking like a severe event. Interesting to talk about for those interested in the weather, but nothing significant for the general public apart from the marine community who are well aware of things anyway.

Tuesday night might be a bit more severe for exposed locations on the west coast, or it could easily turn out to be less so. What makes it interesting is not knowing, and seeing how things develop. But even if it does develop it's probably not going to be something unusual for those areas at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

It certainly was rough driving across the country from North East to South West lastnight.

The articulated lorries were only driving at approx 80km/h as I passed them (I know this as I slowed to their speed before overtaking to assess conditions before overtaking).

I passed a chap on a motorcycle who was being very, very cautious and rightly so.

As someone who spends a lot of time on the road and outdoors, it was windy enough and when there were showers the rain was being driven hard by the wind.

So, while not a storm in the sense of the word as we would generally like to see here on the weather forum, it was weather worthy of advice in advance. I was prepared for the conditons I encountered and packed my vehicle appropriately in the event of running into difficulty. I encountered flooding on minor roads, tree branches down, significent patches of wet leaves (leading to potentially very dangerous road surface conditions), crosswinds on the motorway enough to buffet my vehicle in a manner that would cause difficulty in maintaining direction if a driver was not alert to the conditions (the crosswind roadsings are not there to look nice...!)

Still looking forward to a serious wind event that we are long overdue :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tomorrow night is a non event everyone...A non event

Non event everyone or for everyone??

Wouldn't like to be fishing off the west coast :rolleyes:

Latest forecast for tomorrow from Met Eireann.
    Very blustery along Atlantic coasts and in the northwest, for the afternoon, with very strong southerly winds gusting 90 to 110km/h.

12Z NAE shows gales along the southwest to northwest coasts, touching strong gale force in places, storm force at sea. Windy/breezy inland from those coasts, i.e. most people will say "what storm?" even if it does come off as forecast. Could still turn out to be even less significant that that though. Interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Interesting that met.ie dropped the 86 Km/h mean wind speeds up the west coast (for Tuesday) on this mornings chart to 58 Km/h now. Just shows the uncertainty there was with this system.

Darwin wrote: »
    Interesting that met.ie dropped the 86 Km/h mean wind speeds up the west coast (for Tuesday) on this mornings chart to 58 Km/h now. Just shows the uncertainty there was with this system.

The latest forecast updated at 3:48pm today mentions 110 km/h gusts which would be about right for 86 km/h mean speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I'm getting the same popup login box too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I am getting it also:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Tomorrow night is a non event everyone...A non event

Very informative of you.

Depends on where you if it's a non event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

There, think it's ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Very sarcastic and twatish of u. The met office fc for n.ireland has no mention of it. they are always bang on. deal with it

owenc anybody........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very sarcastic and twatish of u. The met office fc for n.ireland has no mention of it. they are always bang on. deal with it

Banned for 1 week, could maybe should be more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

whataboutnow is now upgraded to being permanently banned.

Very abusive poster

Redsunset wrote: »
    whataboutnow is now upgraded to being permanently banned.

tumblr_lg29opJnYo1qf11jgo1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just heard the Coastguard on a friends Trawler just now warning of storm force winds tomorrow in the West and North, he is staying put in port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

to me looking at latest GFS charts wednesday and thursday look quite windy and stormy for the west/north west?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

snaps wrote: »
    owenc anybody........

:p

Certainly was looking that way alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just heard the Coastguard on a friends Trawler just now warning of storm force winds .

Storm force what? I've heard the same, so I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement