Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Ivy

Options
  • 11-11-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I bought and planted a Boston Ivy approx 3 weeks ago, now it's just occured to me that I've never planted anything deciduous at this time of year before. How do I know if it's taking to its new home?, obviously the leaves have fallen off and it looks a little hopeless!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,461 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well you kinda don't, unless you are extremely observant! However this is a good time of year to plant it and if you make any sort of reasonable effort with it,it will be fine.

Dig a decent sized hole, further loosen the soil in the bottom of the hole, add something like potting compost (this is similar to what it is planted in and encourages the roots to venture away from the root ball). Tip out the plant and if the roots are wound round, pull a few of them away from the ball to get them started. Pop it in the hole, top up with topsoil, wait until spring!

Even if the twigs that are there go dead looking, it will probably sprout from the bottom, but if you look closely you can see that the twigs are still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's probably fine, as you have planted at exactly the right time of year. What we do to check if there is life in something deciduous is scrape a tiny piece of the top layer of bark with my thumb. If there is green under the surface it is alive and well. If the plant is tiny hough don't do that as it can let infection in...

Advertisement