Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice, objective opinions.

Options
  • 11-11-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My name's T. I'm 18.
    I've always struggled with mental issues from a young age, in and out of hospitals around the country.
    I'm currently repeating my LC. Didn't do to bad last year, mid 300's. Promising myself I just had to get through it.. and i did, eventually.
    Since I turned 18 last September, my father , threw me out of our home, we continually fought and I haven't gone back since. I've been living with my grandparents & finding the generation gap increasingly difficult to handle. ('Ringing up mam to see can I go down to the shops') On top of 12 hour school days. I have really struggled to make friends in my new school & have had all but one leave me behind. My elder bro/sis have immigrated and have no contact with them anymore. Don't think i'll make it through the year again.

I've always been considered intelligent, but have been given a few days out to evaluate who I want to be. I'm thinking about leaving school & going to work & doing some shoite course next, or doing maths on the side outside school(D1 last year) and hoping to get a lesser pointed engineering course, in maynooth/cit/someplace..

Objective opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, I'd suggest you edit some details in your post - you don't need to say your name, where you are from or your father's name assuming you don't want people you know to recognise your post.

In answer to your issue, you are far better off getting a good Leaving Cert. Can you get a decent course with what you got in your LC this year? If so, then you may be best getting a job for a few months to save up for college next year. Otherwise do the LC again, get better points and a better course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hey OP,

I had a difficult enough home-life when I was growing up so I can empathise a lot. I can appreciate that it's difficult being with your grandparents and not having the freedom you'd like. However, I would view this time as a great opportunity for you. You're now living away from the conflict and negativity and I think you should exploit it by put all your energies into getting a good LC.

With an improved LC, your opportunities will be greater. You'll have new freedoms in third level and it it will be an opportunity to find yourself and all that good stuff!

You need to change how you're viewing the situation. Try and see the positives - this is a great opportunity.

That's not to downplay the negatives and the issues you're struggling with which are real - but try and put them in perspective and grasp your own future which is entirely in your hands.

Advertisement