Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't configure new Netgear N150 modem/router

Options
  • 11-11-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭

Hi
    The DSL cable doesn't sit in very well to the DSL port on my current Zyxel router. (Old eircom router which I kept after swithing to vodafone).
    Connection is very loose and the cable regularly falls out.
    I purchased the Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router on Friday last to replace the Zyxel one. I've been trying in vain to get it working today.

Firstly I followed instructions on Vodafones webpage for a Netgear router. Them instructions were to navigate to www.routerlogin.net, enter admin as a username and password as the password. All fine so far.
    Then I needed to enter my vodafone login details which are vodafone@vodafone.ie as username and broadband for the password.
    I did all that but then had no connection to the internet.

I contacted Vodafone to see if they could help but they reported that I did have an internet connection!! I was told there was no fault from their side and that I needed to contact Netgear for assistance. The guy I was talking to was most unhelpful, rude, impatitent etc etc. Basically sounded like he was in foul form and wanted to be anywhere else other than helping me. In the end he muttered something about vodafone not supporting third party modems/routers and told me in not so many words to take a hike.

It was then I noticed that there was an installation disk with the Modem/router. I ran the installation disk but didn't get very far as the following error message popped up.. 'The ethernet adapter is either disabled or no ethernet adapter is installed on this computer. Either enable or add an ethernet adapter and run the application again'

Now, I'm no computer/Internet genius but I'm assuming I do have an ethernet adapter installed or else my previous Zyxel router wouldn't work?

So I'm back with the eircom router with some tape holding the dsl cable in place.

Can anybody please help me get this new Netgear router up and running
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Basic questions first:

Does the N150 report line stats?

What's the modulation set to?

Is it set to use DHCP?

Also the official Netgear page for that modem/router is amusingly marked "do not publish":

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/dgn1000.aspx#

• Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭G1032

Spear wrote: »
    Basic questions first:

Does the N150 report line stats?

What's the modulation set to?

Is it set to use DHCP?

Also the official Netgear page for that modem/router is amusingly marked "do not publish":

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/dgn1000.aspx#
    Hi
    Im afraid im in over my head here. Cant answer your first two questions but in the Netgear setup page 'use router as DHCP Server is ticked

Ive contacted Netgear support too but no luck with a fix yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭swoofer

ok i have a netgear dgn 3300v3 and it looks daunting but as with everything once you know it is easy. you have to configure the modem to suit vf. I cant remember if I ever used a disc with mine!!

do the following.

1. log on to router.
    2. select set up wizard select ireland
    3. say no
    4 select basic settings
    4a select yes for login
    5 click on enscapulation select PPOE
    6 login put in vodafone@vodafone.ie
    7. pw is vodafone
    8 next 2 items leave as get autpmatically and get dynamincally
    8a NB click apply to save settings
    9 clcik on adsl settings, for multiplexing select llc based
    10 VPI is 8
    11 VCI is 35
    12 click apply

then on left hand side look for the term diagnostics, select it, clcik on reboot router and..

voila

but you have to log back in to see if u are connected.

if this does not work post back and go slow ie write these steps down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭G1032

Thank a million GBCULLEN

Did everything you said and it still didn't work. But then instead of putting vodafone@vodafone.ie for the login I put my xxxxxxxxxx@vodafone.ie where the xxxxxxxxxx is my landline number minus the 0 of the area code and bingo, it worked!!!

Thanks again for the great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭swoofer

great stuff, delighted to be of help. Enjoy the new router.

gbc-

• Advertisement
Advertisement