Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop Quiz

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Sucette! wrote: »
    He arranged element in order of increasing atomic weight ,thus every element falls naturally into its correct group .

Was it not in order of increasing atomic NUMBER, like the modern periodic table? Mendeleev ordered the elements in order of atomic weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Sunny!! wrote: »

-moist
    -numerous
    - once cell thick

Biology: In which way do red blood cells differ from other cells of the body (example cheek cell)?
    Red blood cells have no true nucleus Biology what is the function of the gall bladder in digestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Red blood cells have no true nucleus Biology what is the function of the gall bladder in digestion?
    It stores bile which is made in the liver. Bile emulsifies lipids. That's all I know of

Biology: describe the principal features of the cohesion-tension model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

This thread frightens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Was it not in order of increasing atomic NUMBER, like the modern periodic table? Mendeleev ordered the elements in order of atomic weight.

Sorry my fault completely :L made the same mistake on the Christmas test and everything!

• Advertisement

It stores bile which is made in the liver. Bile emulsifies lipids. That's all I know of

Biology: describe the principal features of the cohesion-tension model

Water molecules stick together due to H-bonding forming a continuous chain
    of water molecules. Transpiration ‘pulls’ the column of water upwards (not sure if thats right)

Biology: Name the glands situated on top of the kidneys and what is their function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Water molecules stick together due to H-bonding forming a continuous chain
    of water molecules. Transpiration ‘pulls’ the column of water upwards (not sure if thats right)

Biology: Name the glands situated on top of the kidneys and what is their function.

adrenal. produces adreline. fight or flight.

Biology: What is the function of the nephron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

adrenal. produces adreline. fight or flight.

Biology: What is the function of the nephron?
    Filtration and reabsorption as part of osmoregulation, controlled by ADH.

End products of stage 2 respiration? :)

Filtration and reabsorption as part of osmoregulation, controlled by ADH.

End products of stage 2 respiration? :)

ATP and Water? bit rusty on respiration

Biology: Distinguish between Theory and prinicple in relation to the scientific method

ATP and Water? bit rusty on respiration

Biology: Distinguish between Theory and prinicple in relation to the scientific method
    A theory is a presumption based on observation. A principle is a theory which has been proven many times through experimentation over a long period of time. Biology; Distinguish between red and yellow marrow. WHOOP WHOOP!!! 100th post!!!!!!

• Advertisement

A theory is a presumption based on observation. A principle is a theory which has been proven many times through experimentation over a long period of time. Biology; Distinguish between red and yellow marrow. WHOOP WHOOP!!! 100th post!!!!!!

red bone marrow contains platelets and red blood cells. Yellow bone marrow contains fat cells.

Biology: DNA isolation experiment
    1. What was the 1st step carried out and why?
    2. What was the purpose of the ethanol?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Is a hypothesis not a presumption based on observation? A theory, according to my teacher, is a hypothesis proved to be true over time through replicates and more research etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, bit confused now.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is a hypothesis not a presumption based on observation? A theory, according to my teacher, is a hypothesis proved to be true over time through replicates and more research etc.

Yep a hypothesis is an educated guess based on an observation.

A theory is a hypothesis that has seems to be true over a period of testing and replication but theory can still be proven wrong that's the difference between a theory and a law.
    Like the evolution theory, we don't know it's an absolute fact cos obviously we weren't there and therefore it's a theory.

New Bio question: (this is the hardest one I can think of :pac:)

What is the name given to a virus which acts exclusively on a bacterium?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

New Bio question: (this is the hardest one I can think of :pac:)

What is the name given to a virus which acts exclusively on a bacterium?

A bacteriophage?

New question.. Umm..
    History: how would you describe Cumann na nGaedheal's attitude towards exports and trade in the years 1922-1932? (i.e. their economic policy regarding them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

is it bacteriophage ?

Well played lads ;)

Didn't do that topic in history... Unfortunately, seems pretty interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

A bacteriophage?

New question.. Umm..
    History: how would you describe Cumann na nGaedheal's attitude towards exports and trade in the years 1922-1932? (i.e. their economic policy regarding them)
    Yay, history!

Well, they continued free trade with the UK (which made up over 90% of the Free State's trade) and they continued using the sterling. The agricultural sector was focused on as it was Ireland's largest export, and tax on farmers was cut.

Is that detailed enough? :p

Keeping to what I know, dare I copy your question but change it to the economic/social policies of Fianna Fáil during 1932-39?

Correct me if I'm wrong, bit confused now.... :rolleyes:
    Sorry Wasn't really thinking when I wrote that, I just really wanted the 100th post :o

Fresh Start: Biology: Define niche

• Advertisement

Fresh Start: Biology: Define niche

Niche: The role of an organism in its habitat. Really basic definition but its all I got :o What is bio accumulation? :)

Advertisement