Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newark to Manhattan

Options
  • 11-11-2012 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hey guys going to NYC wed week 21st for the day before our flight onto Florida thursday , what is going to be easiest way to get from Newark to manhattan , have almost a full day so hoping to make the most of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

RVN10 wrote: »
    Hey guys going to NYC wed week 21st for the day before our flight onto Florida thursday , what is going to be easiest way to get from Newark to manhattan , have almost a full day so hoping to make the most of it.

The train from the airport is the easiest way.
    I think its about $16 return or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

What train is that MMAGirl? Is it the njtransit?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Take the airport train to Liberty train station.
    Then its an Amtrak train to Penn station in Manhattan.
    Id say if you google it you'll get it in the first hit or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Or you can get a bus directly from Newark Airport to Port Authority Bus Terminal, it's a bit seedy around the terminal area so watch your possessions.
    http://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/port-authority-bus-terminal.html

I was looking at the Amtrak but its 58$ ? Surely that can't be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Or you can get a bus directly from Newark Airport to Port Authority Bus Terminal, it's a bit seedy around the terminal area so watch your possessions.
    http://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/port-authority-bus-terminal.html

This.

I stop off at newark a lot on my way between Seattle and Dublin and uisually go in to manhatten for some shopping on my way back, and the shuttle bus is REALLY easy. It goes every 15mins so there always one waiting, and it only takes about 20 minutes in to Port Authority bus station or another 5 to Bryant park (by the library). After that it goes to grand central station I think.

As far as i know its way easier than the train, I can be off the plane and on the bus in about ten minutes (seriously I've timed it), its right outside the arrivals hall. Oh and about $15 one way?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

You can take an Amtrak (i.e. inter-city) train which is faster and more expensive, or you can take the NJ Transit (local suburban commuter rail) train which is cheaper but stops at small, local stations. Newark is so close to Manhattan that the time difference is tiny, so you would go for the NJ Transit train. It is $12.50 one-way and takes about half an hour.

From the terminals you take the "Air Train" which is a monorail which links the terminals, car parks, and actual train station.

Thanks everyone for the replies really appreciate the help , how do you think it would fair with the sandy aftermath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I was looking at the Amtrak but its 58$ ? Surely that can't be right

Yeah that's not right. The girlfriend came back yesterday and used the airtrain and NJ Transit and it was about $15 one way. If you are only there one day I'd recommend the train as while the bus in theory can take 30 mins it can take well over an hour in traffic.

Its dead easy, the 'AirTrain' (really a monorail) stops at each terminal and then goes to the airport train station where you get a train into Penn Station. It took the girlfriend under 40 mins and no worrys about traffic. Most of the NJ Transit train lines are shut due to Sandy but the airport one is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Rascasse wrote: »
    If you are only there one day I'd recommend the train as while the bus in theory can take 30 mins it can take well over an hour in traffic.

Yes, but you've got to get to the train from your arrival gate while the bus is fifty feet from the front doors.

And even with traffic, the bus has never taken more than 30mins.

• Advertisement

The buses are grand as long as you avoid rush hour. One time I was on a Hoboken-Manhattan bus at Friday evening rush-hour and it took almost two hours just to get into the Holland Tunnel, less than a mile from where we got on the bus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The easiest way is via helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yes, but you've got to get to the train from your arrival gate while the bus is fifty feet from the front doors.

Yes airtrain is inside each terminal, surely thats better than having to leave the terminal? And when you get to the NJ Transit station you take one escalator down and you are at the plaform for the train to Penn.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    And even with traffic, the bus has never taken more than 30mins.

Well Google reckons the quickest route is 26 minutes, add in any traffic to Holland or Lincoln tunnel and rush hour and it could take a lot longer.

Its personal preference, both my girlfriend and I prefer the train. Less risk, they have left luggage, Herald Sq nearby to browse around if early, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thanks everyone for the replies really appreciate the help , how do you think it would fair with the sandy aftermath?

The PATH started back again only yesterday on limited service (fewer trains) but normal operating hours.

Looking at NJ Transit's website, the NorthEast Corridor Line (the line from EWR to Manhattan) is running fine. There are other lines disrupted, but not the one you need.

I presume the buses just detour around any road closures.

TBH I wouldn't lose much sleep over it, though. Americans are very good at making anything completely foolproof. If you hit any road or rail closures you'd most likely be detoured painlessly around them without even realizing they ever existed.

Advertisement