Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 - Great Great Grandfather in the Army Service Corps (Remounts Coy)

Options
  • 11-11-2012 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm researching the movements of my great great Grandfather from Waterford who was in the Remounts Company of the Army Service Corps during WW1.

I managed to find out where he's buried (back in the UK surprisingly) having been wounded in Europe, so I flew over and visited the grave with my own Grandfather. It was nice for him to see it as nobody from the family had visited the grave since he was buried as far as I know.

Has anyone any information on the remounts company's movements during the war? He died in April 1918.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

a little bit here re the remounts service

http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm#remounts

There was a Remount Depot at Lusk; also the RDS was used during WW1 as a Remount Depot before horses went to England and then on to France.

Have you used Ancestry to check for your man's medal index card, services record, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

a little bit here re the remounts service

http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm#remounts

There was a Remount Depot at Lusk; also the RDS was used during WW1 as a Remount Depot before horses went to England and then on to France.

Have you used Ancestry to check for your man's medal index card, services record, etc?

Thanks for that! Yeah I have whatever info seems to be available on him. Much of his records were destroyed when the records office in Kew in London were bombed during WW2, so theres only a bit left. Anecdotally, we knew he had been buried in England and we did find his grave. We don't know though how, where or when he was injured in Europe. Thats why Im trying to find the details of the actions of 2nd Remounts to see can I work back from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Trotter wrote: »

Thanks for that! Yeah I have whatever info seems to be available on him. Much of his records were destroyed when the records office in Kew in London were bombed during WW2, so theres only a bit left. Anecdotally, we knew he had been buried in England and we did find his grave. We don't know though how, where or when he was injured in Europe. Thats why Im trying to find the details of the actions of 2nd Remounts to see can I work back from there.

Have you been in touch with the CWGC?

They can şometimes add a bit more than just the location of a grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Have you been in touch with the CWGC?

They can şometimes add a bit more than just the location of a grave.

CWGC was a great starting point for tracing my WWI casualty ancestor's movements. I found out through them that he'd been in the army for years - served in India 1895 and been a POW in Germany. Brilliant service.

What about the RLC Museum?

Incidentally, was he buried at Brookwood Cemetary?

• Advertisement

He's buried in Norfolk. The CWGC told us that the records were destroyed in Kew so that end of things is a brick wall.

Trotter wrote: »
    He's buried in Norfolk. The CWGC told us that the records were destroyed in Kew so that end of things is a brick wall.

The fire in Kew wrote off a lot of records, it is very annoying.

Regimental Museums might have some records on where and when each company saw action, so that might help.

Do you know how and why he ended up back in Norfolk, was he evacuated back to there?

sorry for the questions, I just find the individual story makes the whole war seem more real.

I don't have any information on how he ended up there unfortunately. Its a mystery at the moment! I think the next step would be to write to the British army and ask about the movements of the unit in the final year or so of the war. Which to write to is the next decision!

Advertisement