Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown trout

Options
  • 11-11-2012 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I did post about this in the angling forum, but replies are a little slow.

I'm led to believe brown trout are out of season at the moment, that's fine I am in no hurry, don't wish to fish out of season that's for sure. I know nothing about fishing but while on a ramble across the bog a few weeks ago I noticed splashes in the lakes which I figure are brown trout. I guess they'd be in the interconnecting streams which join the lakes too?

In the spirit of this forum I am wondering how I can go about catching one or two to try for eating when the season reopens. I'd like to do it as low-tech as possible, buying only as little as possible. I do like the idea of a bit of line, a hook, some bait and a stick, if the stick is even needed :) Don't know why it appeals to me but it does.

Maybe the anglers find me a little too odd :o

Someone probably owns the fishing rights but I can find out about that locally I'm sure.

I don't eat much fish and I am trying to change that, living beside the sea, rivers and lakes it seems a waste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I thought brown trout was just a euphamisim for a certain bodily function

I think what you are referring to is just called trout

as for catching one, some kind of fishtrap is probably the simplest method

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You catch trout using mayfly resting just exactly on the surface of the water. When the trout are rising in May, sit on a boat for several hours, with the bait on the surface, until a trout snaps or sucks it under. Cast with the wind so the line doesn't fall near to the boat. Then you have to play him out and reel him in, before a belt of the priest secures dinner. Trout generally wait in the deeper parts of lakes, and you might get the odd salmon too. Grasshoppers can be used for the same purpose.

No licence is needed to fish in Lough Corrib, and you can thank the angler's war for that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Can they be caught without flies? From the lake or stream bank? I did some Google work, but in the results they may have been talking about a different species of fish for all I know.

I'm lacking a boat also, lol, so that's a problem. I was hoping to only do this locally on my regular travels.

You can shore cast for them I guess, I haven't seen it being done myself. Catching trout is a stealthy business, any hint that something is amiss and the crafty beasts won't go for it. Think about where the shadows are falling, the movement of your bait, the line you're using, the right bait for the season, everything. Have you observed them near enough to reach with a line from shore?

Yeah I reckon so, the lakes I was near get deep in a hurry.

A piece I read said trout living in limestone areas have plenty to eat and are picky, where as trout living in acidic places can't be so fussy and are easier to catch. Whether there's truth in that or not I don't know

• Advertisement

Never went so far as test the ph of the soil myself to be honest. :D You'd be giving Buddhist monks a run for their money meditating on the task some days though, that's for sure. I think you can buy flies as well if you want to give those a try or in the off season, my oul dad used to tie them himself back in the day.

Ya mean no hook, just the fly and see if he goes for it?

030708_tyingflies.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Caught a beauty this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I've caught trout with just a worm and hook from the river bank.Just let the line with worm drift down the river a good distance with the flow,leave for a nice while and then wind back in slowly.(worked well in small rivers/ streams)
    I've also caught using a tasmanian devil and mepps spinners fishing from the river bank.
    I've used the devon minnow years ago,dont notice them for sale now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 16 vulpus

Hi,
    You can catch trout with small fry or worms and it is so nice sitting by the river bank watching nature go by.Dont get me wrong i am no tree hugger as i do a lot of shooting but there really is something great about fishing for trout with a simple rod and reel and the worm on the hook-i just love it when you get the trout taking the worm--happy fishing.

Tabnabs wrote: »

I dont think line fishing with one hook or bait is illegal unless your using a treple hook to foul hook a fish.

On the other hand using an otter board probably is illegal.
    (but handy to know in a survival situation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTvUIh8rpc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line. see here

Tabnabs wrote: »

21/25

uch wrote: »
    The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line. see here
    Interesting, I didn't know worm and sprat fishing was actually illegal in many waters. In a survival situation a gill net (also highly restricted) will clear whole waterways of fish fairly quickly though, gaffing is meant to be quite effective too, an old poacher's trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

As someone said the only legal way to catch fresh water fish in ireland is on a rod and line.

if fishing in fresh water you will need a rod licence and a fishing permit.
    If it is a club held water there might be other restrictions on the type of fishing you can engage in.

there are restrictions on how many white Trout and Salmon can be taken in a river there are other restrictions depending on the size of the fish as well
    White Trout and Salmon above a certain size that are kept have to carry a tag and you are only given one tag at a time

Brown Trout are refered to as brown Trout to differentiate them to white trout

one of the most productive legal ways to catch any trout/salmon species is on a worm after a flood.

size 8-12 hook a small live worm threaded unto a hook and a small bit of lead toto help it sink and walk down the bank let the worm bump down the river.

yo will need to keep the line from going slack or the line will get tangled on stuff in the river.

if you are thinking of using fishing as a survival strategy you should practice it and get shown by some one that knows what they are doing there are some subtlies that need to be learned.

So, what defines a "rod"?

Does it need to be a shop bought item, or will a stick with a length of line tied to it do? Genuine question, as I rather am coming at this from a survivalist/self sufficiency POV, but given we're not in that situation then obviously the attending legalities need to be properly observed.

yes whats a "rod" crossed my mind also.
    what this dude made looks like a rod to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47k_GZzELbc&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Does it need to be a shop bought item, or will a stick with a length of line tied to it do? Genuine question, as I rather am coming at this from a survivalist/self sufficiency POV, but given we're not in that situation then obviously the attending legalities need to be properly observed.

thats a good question. Real answer is I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Does it need to be a shop bought item, or will a stick with a length of line tied to it do?

According to the Fisheries (Consolidation) Act 1959 Patr 1 section 3(1)
    a rod an line is defined thus: The expression "rod and line" means a single rod and line.

So it does not need to be shop bought, a simple length of bamboo for example would suffice.

wolfeye wrote: »
    yes whats a "rod" crossed my mind also.
    what this dude made looks like a rod to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47k_GZzELbc&feature=related [/QUOTE]

He certainly made a rod. I've seen such simple rods being used to good effect.
    The only issue from a legal point of view, that would be relevant here in Ireland, in that clip is that the Trout look undersize. There is a Irish state size limit for Brown Trout of 9". So all Trout under 9" must be returned to the water!

• Advertisement

Came across this on Dealextreme.Small and handy for the BOB.
    Rod and line so must be legal.
    12$ includes postage

http://dx.com/p/fish-everywhere-pocket-pen-style-fishing-rod-and-reel-kit-silver-extended-length-90cm-58567

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

There are many places where you don't need a permit or a rod licence (in the Republic), as I enquired about it a few years ago. Club waters are normally controlled and you need a permit to fish them. Check locally with an angler or tackle shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I actually can't help it. Every time I see this thread title I think there's a thread about poo in here and get momentarily confused. :D

Khannie wrote: »
    I actually can't help it. Every time I see this thread title I think there's a thread about poo in here and get momentarily confused. :D

God help ya when civilisation collapses, all the looters will have to do is point and say "Look! Brown trout!", as soon as ya turn yer head they'll be away with yer shoe laces, then where'll ya be :confused::p

Advertisement