Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best overall smartphone on the market to buy for the first time?

Options
  • 11-11-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭

My current phone is starting to go a bit funny lately even though it seems ok for now but will probably get a new one and want to decide on one before it goes on the blink, I have had it a few years so thinking of getting a smartphone think its time I get one. Was thinking of getting the ones that have a small touch screen but still have the keypads like the ordinary phones but would prefer a bigger screen and slimmer phone and lighter weight so rather spend the money on a smartphone rather than the new nokia - keypad/touchscreen one.

So with my research I find very little difference between the samsung galaxy s2 and galaxy s3 which one is better for general use, reasonable speed and good memory, photos and has 3G? The calender is one feature I'd want which some phones don't have.

Based on other smartphones which one of them be the smartest buy overall, you get what you pay for or paying a bit extra worth it or would spending too little worth the hassle that it might not last, that something in between just be right for the features and good quality smartphone?

Battery would be a thing I could cope with always got a phone with a good battery in it, I wouldn't be using it all the time all day every day, I'd get at least a day-two days or even three with the phone I have without having to charge it maybe every 2-3 days. Though have heard that the samsung battery life wouldn't be as good as a nokia say but with a smartphone are any of the batteries any good the type of phone they are would drain the battery anyway no matter how much use is used!?

One that be easy to use and wouldn't let me down after a few months would like to get more than a year out of it! There are phones out there in the past that have been in the market for years and lasted more than 3-7 years!

Some smartphones don't have games/radio on them but they can be downloaded but would like it to have a calender though and good camera, memory space and speed. Not too heavy, good sized screen and buttons as I often get phones that have good sized keypads.

I am not keen on the iphones I would have issues about security and data. While I be in favour of either the HTC, Hauwaii, Sony and one of the samsung galaxy's, note or samsung mini. Is there much of a difference between the samsung mini and galaxy's other than the size?

There is even a difference in the prices between networks and carphonewearhouse like or if you buy online. If you upgrade your phone on pay as you go, should there not be a discount on the price or is that based on the memory of the smartphone will determine the price difference like 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, 32gb and 64gb?

Which brand for smartphones is by far the best over all for general use and good clear resolution?

Comments

The calender is one feature I'd want which some phones don't have.
    All smart phones will have a calendar available, they might not always list them as a feature, but it will be there as standard
    always got a phone with a good battery in it
    Smartphones in general don't have great battery lives, things like powerful processors and large clear screens use a lot of power. Most high end phones will only last the day with moderate to heavy use. You will be getting on well to get 2 days out of a single charge.
    wouldn't let me down after a few months would like to get more than a year out of it
    I'd be very disappointed with any phone that didn't last a year. It would be in warranty, so all you would have to do is bring it back to the store for repair or replacing. (As long as it is a manufacture fault and not like for instance you dropped into a drink)
    I am not keen on the iphones I would have issues about security and data
    iPhones are one of the most secure phones, viruses are a lot more common on Android.
    Is there much of a difference between the samsung mini and galaxy's other than the size?
    The Samsung Galaxy S3 mini is a decent phone, it would be a step down from the standard Galaxy S3 but would compare favorably with the S2. The Note 2 would be a major step up from all the samsungs( but a very big phone). The older model Samsung Galaxy mini would be a big step down from the S3 mini, and I wouldn't recommend it.

should there not be a discount on the price or is that based on the memory of the smartphone will determine the price difference like 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, 32gb and 64gb?
    Certain phones, such as the iPhone, come in different variants of storage. In this case you pay more for more storage( eg iPhone 5 16GB-€679, 32GB-€789 and 64GB-€899). The different networks charge differently because they can, they discount them to attract customers.
    Which brand for smartphones is by far the best over all for general use and good clear resolution?
    Clear resolution: a good spec to keep an eye on is PPI (pixels per inch) the higher the number the better eg: iPhone 5-326ppi, GS3 mini-233ppi, GS3-306ppi,
    I would normally suggest an iPhone for a first time smartphone, but as you distrust them I would say, wait for the Nokia Lumia 920 to come out (possibly next month if not early next year. Brilliant camera, powerful, new windows operating system and I love the colours.
    http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia920/
    This is a high end/expensive phone, the Nokia Lumia 820 would also be a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

viruses are a lot more common on Android.

:rolleyes: Nonsense. The only difference is that Android allows you disable a setting to install 3rd party apps from outside the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya noticed they don't have games on in the spec I suppose you can download them onto the smartphone.

Last night got me thinking that maybe an iphone might be a better option but think they no different to the samsung in my opinion.

I'd imagine ya that a smartphone with its features and technology would drain the battery anyway despite the power.

I be lucky to get 2-3 days out of the phone I have with a lot of use, I get 1-2 days with a lot of use. Little use I get 3 days out of it.

I always liked the nokia phones often have had them but not so sure of them as a smartphone bit wary of them due to bad reviews. The lumia be the only one I be interested in but not sure about them. I like a screen a little wider though that be easy to type on the touchscreen.

Are the iphones just hype? I didn't know that I'd imagine the windows ones be more prone to viruses. Would the iphones be less likely to get a virus? So is the android just another os then?

Thanks for the advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Forget all this virus talk. It's not something to worry about no matter what you buy.

As for battery life, I would always say bank on 1 full day, and any more is a bonus for pretty much any high end smart phone.

You have three different operating systems to chose from essentially.

Windows phone
    Android
    iOS

That's the lot, in simplistic terms. Each looks and feels different. All having advantages disadvantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The three OS's to consider will be
    iOS - iPhones
    Windows Phone 7- Windows for phones
    Android - Googles Mobile OS

None of them get viruses effectively, wextext is way off the mark there.

Go into a shop, try out the iphone 4(no need to get a 5 really), a galaxy S3, a lumia 800/900 or maybe even the Xperia S. For somebody who isnt tied into an OS yet just pick the one that you like most and seems most natural to you.

EDIT: Alan got their first, shows me for going to get a drink.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The three OS's to consider will be
    iOS - iPhones
    Windows Phone 7- Windows for phones
    Android - Googles Mobile OS

None of them get viruses effectively, wextext is way off the mark there.

Go into a shop, try out the iphone 4(no need to get a 5 really), a galaxy S3, a lumia 800/900 or maybe even the Xperia S. For somebody who isnt tied into an OS yet just pick the one that you like most and seems most natural to you.

EDIT: Alan got their first, shows me for going to get a drink.

The op said that she wanted to go Android because iphones were not secure, all I said was that there were more security issues with Android. Viruses are more common in Android (virtually none though, especially if you stay on the play store), but that is only because iPhones are locked into itunes.
    In reality, I agree viruses on any os are not a problem. I was just stating that IOS is secure. Sorry if I wasn't making my point clear enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

wextext wrote: »

The op said that she wanted to go Android because iphones were not secure, all I said was that there were more security issues with Android. Viruses are more common in Android (virtually none though, especially if you stay on the play store), but that is only because iPhones are locked into itunes.
    In reality, I agree viruses on any os are not a problem. I was just stating that IOS is secure. Sorry if I wasn't making my point clear enough.

Stop posting crap, only Windows desktop OS gets viruses, no mobile OS gets any. There are no security issues with Android, none. Software cannot install without you putting it there and agreeing to the permissions it needs

Oh right. If I were to get an iphone it be iphone4 rather than iphone5 as the prices have come down depending which memory I go for. Though think iphone's are likely the last longer, just thing the batter be no different to samsung and they often share similar parts just that the os might vary I am not sure. Power be better in an iphone or is it any different to samsung? One thing i've noticed about the iphones other than the security issues and data concerns I have on them is that the way text messages are displayed are a bit weird looking or is that just me?

So can the calendar be downloaded/an app to go onto it or is it there just not mentioned in the spec? Lumia, sony exp, samsung galaxy's or minis, HTC or the Hauwii be the only ones I'd have an interest in. I looked into Vodafone's own brand and well I don't know mixed feelings on it. Good price but don't know are they too cheap like for a smartphone. Noticed previously they don't have 3G the older versions of vodafone smartphone.

Ya I am one of these people who'd wait until the prices drop some bit or that a particular brand of phone is on the market for a couple of months to a year before buying have a thing about not buying something too new onto the market as I liked to know reviews and how other people's experiences of certain phones are like and how well they last!

Thanks for the info and advice everyone. Still can't decide best to get a brochure in the shop or test them out to compare them best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Whats your budget? What has been pointed out to you so far are mainly high-end phones, and therefore high-end prices. If you want to avoid high prices up front, then you will have to go Bill Pay and a lengthy contract, typically 18 or 24 months. If you go down that road, your chosen network will recoup th price of the phone over the period of the contract.

I rather stick with pay as you go it works out cheaper for me on how much I spend and use the phone than bill pay be a bit silly option for me. Mainly use for texts/internet rather than for calls. I don't mind paying a bit more for a phone if its worth the value. In between really at least between €100 to €500+ but not more than €600 not worth spending that kind of money, roughly €200-€400 range would be the budget I be aiming at. I have noticed that for bill pay some are free but I rather pay for the phone and add credit to that works out more beneficial for me in the long run!

• Advertisement

Have a good look at whats available on www.amazon.co.uk. They are sim free.You can search by make of phone. Just going through them will give you a very good education re smartphones. Then buy from Amazon.de. They are a bit cheaper there. And miles cheaper than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Lumia 800 for 179.99 on O2 PayG is exceptional value.

Right, i've gone into a vodafone shop, happy with the selections of phones they have there, still not sure which one to go for. I saw the samsung galaxy 2 and my first reaction to it, its too big/long samsung galaxy 3 way too big. I'd like something that fit in my hand! I've small hands so a big phone not a requisite but might still end up going for the samsung galaxy 2 in the end!

I usually wouldn't go for a brand new phone on the market unless I really like or if it been on the market a few months to a year though, like to know what I am buying first. The only exception be the samsung galaxy mini 3 which has just come out. I have noticed I could get it in argos or tesco - sim free but wondering will the come into vodafone shops other than maybe meteor, which its in at the moment not sure about carphone warehouse regarding my research as its just out not long after the note and samsung galaxy 3. I saw the lumia or the real narrow one by sony xperia J I think not gone on them to be honest with you!!

Anyway I have whittled it down to a couple of phones in mind, Samsung mini 2 or 3, Samsung Galaxy Y (likely choice), samsung galaxy beam, HTC C, Sony xperia tipo and xperia T. I like the samsung galaxy mini 3 but is it a patch on the samsung galaxy 2 or 3 though or is it any different to the smaller versions of samsungs? It's only just out so only in selective places. Bit pricey though for what it does. Anyone have any feedback on this phone is it worth getting it - The samsung galaxy mini 3? or is it any different to the other minis or samsung galaxy 2 even? Is it worth the money?

Other thing is I prefer a black phone or dark phone in case of wear and tear rather than a white/silver phone so its a touch choice!

So out of them bar the samsung galaxy 2 which out of my list be a good buy?

Thanks for all the advice been a great help!

You should'nt get too caught up on colour. You can get any colour gel cover for most phones nowadays. If you get a white phone, you can get a black cover. Have a look on amazon.co.uk at the choice. Having said that you will be very unlucky not to get a dark-coloured phone. And that Sammy that you have your eye on is not a bad phone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

doovdela wrote: »
    I am not keen on the iphones I would have issues about security and data. Which brand for smartphones is by far the best over all for general use and good clear resolution?

iPhones are the most secure phones on the market, I don't know why you think otherwise. As for Android phones take a look at the article I have linked below.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Android-Security-Is-a-Major-Threat-10-Reasons-Why-148798/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

iPhones are the most secure phones on the market, I don't know why you think otherwise. As for Android phones take a look at the article I have linked below.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Android-Security-Is-a-Major-Threat-10-Reasons-Why-148798/

:rolleyes: You believe everything you read on the internet do you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

areyawell wrote: »
    Not always but I have a good friend who has a Samsung Galaxy S2 who has malware and possibly a virus on his phone that he can't get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Right, i've gone into a vodafone shop, happy with the selections of phones they have there, still not sure which one to go for. I saw the samsung galaxy 2 and my first reaction to it, its too big/long samsung galaxy 3 way too big. I'd like something that fit in my hand! I've small hands so a big phone not a requisite but might still end up going for the samsung galaxy 2 in the end!

I usually wouldn't go for a brand new phone on the market unless I really like or if it been on the market a few months to a year though, like to know what I am buying first. The only exception be the samsung galaxy mini 3 which has just come out. I have noticed I could get it in argos or tesco - sim free but wondering will the come into vodafone shops other than maybe meteor, which its in at the moment not sure about carphone warehouse regarding my research as its just out not long after the note and samsung galaxy 3. I saw the lumia or the real narrow one by sony xperia J I think not gone on them to be honest with you!!

Anyway I have whittled it down to a couple of phones in mind, Samsung mini 2 or 3, Samsung Galaxy Y (likely choice), samsung galaxy beam, HTC C, Sony xperia tipo and xperia T. I like the samsung galaxy mini 3 but is it a patch on the samsung galaxy 2 or 3 though or is it any different to the smaller versions of samsungs? It's only just out so only in selective places. Bit pricey though for what it does. Anyone have any feedback on this phone is it worth getting it - The samsung galaxy mini 3? or is it any different to the other minis or samsung galaxy 2 even? Is it worth the money?

Other thing is I prefer a black phone or dark phone in case of wear and tear rather than a white/silver phone so its a touch choice!

So out of them bar the samsung galaxy 2 which out of my list be a good buy?

Thanks for all the advice been a great help!

Id rule out the Samsung Galaxy Y, HTC Desire C (think that's what you meant by HTC C), and the Sony Xperia Tipo because there not fast enough in comparison to the rest(They only have single core processors).

So that leaves the S3 Mini, Galaxy Beam and Xperia T. Out of them three the Xperia T is the most powerful and has the best features as its a high end phone so i would go for that(however you said you didn't want a big screen and the screen on it is bigger then the S2), would only get the Galaxy Beam if i was interested in getting the projector.

So that leaves the S3 mini, its a decent mid range phone but the initial price seems a bit high.

To be honest it's a tuff choice to find a powerful smartphone with a small screen these days.

If you want something smaller then the S2's screen id go for the Sony Xperia P(cheaper then the S3 mini, better screen, similiar specs) Link or if you could deal with the size of the S2 then id go for that or the HTC One S Link.

Or if you want to save even more money then the shop prices have a look on Adverts.ie, Xperia P & Htc One S.
    The HTC is locked to three but only costs 99p on ebay to get the unlock code, not sure if the Xperia P is locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Stop posting crap, only Windows desktop OS gets viruses, no mobile OS gets any. There are no security issues with Android, none. Software cannot install without you putting it there and agreeing to the permissions it needs

And from that beauty of a line people should know your talking crap....

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/press/2012/Android_Under_Attack__Malware_Levels_for_Googles_OS_Rise_Threefold_in_Q2_2012

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2012/Malware_targeting_Android_has_a_taste_for_Gingerbread_and_Ice_Cream_Sandwich

Also to say only Windows Desktop OS is targeted by and get infected by viruses is straight out wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

areyawell wrote: »

I'm confused does that mean we shoudn't believe you or not? ;)

• Advertisement

I don't know I heard that they aren't and had apple -iphones not got access to users email address or something I remember it in the media about it. I don't want to have breach of data being an issue as for security its not just that I am concerned about internet and data privacy issues.

Ya I meant the HTC Desire C I think...:/, tried one out and seemed ok, not as easy to use though but nice fit in my hand though not too heavy, keyboard on screen good. Sony xperia T too big for me P more suited I think not so sure if I found the sony one easy to use though, I quiet like the size of the samsung mini the basic one but maybe a more up market one be better get better use out of it?

Starting to think the samsung galaxy 2/beam or sony p might be better?
    What's the other HTC's like one s or is there another desire one? Ya if I could get my hands on the samsung mini 3 I would but I don't know it kinda big...what I saw on display in shop today but sounds good but dumbed down version of the bigger version.

Based on layout I prefer the menu of the samsung, sony and htc are similar but not mad on the one for the iphone a bit overcrowded menu if you ask me....

So are the samsung mini, y, htc desire c and sony xperia tipo very much basic smartphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Based on layout I prefer the menu of the samsung, sony and htc are similar but not mad on the one for the iphone a bit overcrowded menu if you ask me....

So are the samsung mini, y, htc desire c and sony xperia tipo very much basic smartphones?

Yes there low end phones, don't cost as much, are lower spec'd etc.

In comparison to the S3 and Xperia T they would be very slow, they don't compare at all really.

Tough choice really, going to have to suss them out further. What ones are good for taking note of things, similar to a diary and keep reminders?

Does the android get sluggish or any of the OS on smartphones?

How often do they have to do updates for the OS's?

Still searching!! Still can't decide but between HTC Desire C more than likely be either a Samsung Galaxy S2 II since its one of the best ones on the market other than the Samsung Galaxy 3 but the size be an issue.

Tried and tested out Samsung Galaxy S3 III and found it very easy to use, samsung is quiet simple to use really which I like. Its a bit too big for me so thinking the samsung galaxy s3 mini and samsung galaxy s2 II be a better option for me all round despite size probably be ok and good phone's I'd imagine?

I am kind of holding out for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini but say the samsung galaxy s2 II would be better I'd imagine when weighing up the specs. Either of them suit me in what I am looking for as a first time smartphone user as well as using an up market type smartphone or near enough! which ever one I go for! Vodafone yet to bring in the samsung galaxy s3 mini so waiting till then to decide hopefully they be in before Christmas as the other networks seem to have them in and won't have to wait much longer!!

Is it worth getting back covers for what ever smartphone I choose? I tend to drop my phone often enough but it hasn't gone banjaxed on the hard floor as of yet but has fallen onto it often enough and either stayed compact or not often thought it be the end of it and the screen is already scratched as it is! Hopefully the phones I have my eye on are scratch resistant but doubt they drop resistant unless I have them in a cover/have back cover on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Does the android get sluggish QUOTE]

very much so unless you are on a high end spec handset like the SGSIII

Has the HTC One S got expandable memory though?

I'd mainly use phone for texts rather than calls, other than the internet/email/socially and for entertainment I suppose.

I'd be looking for very specific things I'd want on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I wouldn't get the S3 mini, very over priced for the specs it has. They are trying to pass it off as a shrunk version of the S3 when in reality its more like one of the cheaper galaxies (Ace, Y) packaged up to look like the S3. Check some reviews.

Have a look at the motorola the razr i, seems like a nice phone speedy for the price and not too big either.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, not too sure, had a motorola before and wasn't that gone on it. Ya I'd have to see it really. Maybe best stick with the samsung galaxy s2 II? Don't know if I can hold out for samsung galaxy mini 3, taking ages for it to get into the vodafone shops and they already in the other network shops.

Advertisement