Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco at Liffey Valley

• 11-11-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭

Has there been any update on the prospect of a Tesco being built at Liffey Valley?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's new to me. I bet M&S wouldn't be happy with that, they might as well shut up shop if that happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tesco-to-spend-tens-of-millions-on-massive-new-store-3009163.html

http://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/clondalkin53

Last I heard,supermarkets in Lucan and Clondalkin and residents in the area objected to it being built because it would damage their businesses and increase the traffic problems in the area.Was supposed to be a planning decision made in August,then in October,but no news of the outcome seems to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's currently going through an appeal process i believe. Businesses from Clondalkin,Palmerstown and Lucan have all submitted objections to it. No point in dressing it up,they're all bricking it at the thought of what it'll do to their business.

I hope it gets approved. 56,000 sq feet isn't that big either, I think that's less than half the size of Tesco Maynooth.

There's a serious lack of competition in supermarkets in Lucan. No Supervalue, no Dunnes and the only Tesco store is old and small. And Superquinn and M&S are so overpriced it is amazing they still exist.

Granted there are 2 Lidls and 1 Aldi. I read the other day that Aldi (8% of the market) is now bigger nationwide than Superquinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

unkel wrote: »
    That's new to me. I bet M&S wouldn't be happy with that, they might as well shut up shop if that happens...

They co-exist in Dundrum Town Centre, however I am not sure what their food section is like over there - if any at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I just searched for the Tesco planning permission link and found this which is separate and in the Irish times today.

"Planning application lodged for €25m Liffey Valley project"

Nov 13th 2012 - Irish Times Link
    NewsLink wrote:
    A planning application for a €25 million extension to the Liffey Valley shopping centre has been lodged with South Dublin County Council.

It is claimed the project will create some 670 jobs between construction, and full and part-time staff.

The development would bring the number of people employed at the centre to more than 2,500, and take just over two years to complete.

The application envisages an additional 10,500sq m of space at the western end of the centre in a move which would bring new brand name, fashion shops, restaurants and an expanded cinema complex.

The expansion comes at a time when many other shopping destinations across the State are reporting trading difficulties, including Dún Laoghaire, which was recently reported to have closed 100 shops since 2008.

By contrast, Liffey Valley’s owners, Aviva Investors and Grosvenor, said Liffey Valley is 100 per cent occupied.

Included in the proposed extension is a three-level retail unit of 6,577sq m, with alterations and expansion of the Vue Cinema.

There will also be six restaurants, again laid out over three floors.

Public facilities are to include a space of more than 3,000sq m to accommodate regular managed events. Architects DMOD expected this area to become a meeting place and focal point for the centre.

The revamp also includes improved links to parking and public transport.

The Liffey Valley shopping centre was opened 15 years ago, and is located at the junction of the major N4 and M50 routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I shop in Tesco myself
    if it was convenient to shop around Lucan village (parking is the problem) I'd prefer to go to small shops
    on the other hand tesco is good value.

However I dont think there is a need for another Tesco.
    Maybe they could just modernise the Lucan branch, possibly build another level.They'd be limited with what they could do I suppose and the parking would still be a problem, and the local residents might not be happy with a larger building.

Traffic is pretty bad in and around Liffey valley at times and the parking when its busy isn't great either, if another Tesco is built there, it wont get any better, plus I can see a lot of small businesses affected.

In ways it would be better for me, I wouldnt have to go to the Lucan branch anymore, but I see it causing a lot of problems for other people.
    first i've heard of it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Merch wrote: »
    Maybe they could just modernise the Lucan branch, possibly build another level.

The Dodsboro Tesco is pretty poor.
    I drive to the Maynooth store just 20 mins up the motorway, much larger and a bigger range.

Merch wrote: »
    if it was convenient to shop around Lucan village (parking is the problem) I'd prefer to go to small shops

I don't want to take this off topic, but have you tried in recent years? Both parking and traffic are much better than they were (outside of peak traffic / Friday afternoons)

I never struggle to find a parking spot on main street / Lucan road during shop opening hours

If you can (and can afford it), please support local Irish businesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

I drive to the Maynooth store just 20 mins up the motorway, much larger and a bigger range.

I too do this. The parking facilities are a shambles its so hard to get into and out of that people end up parking on the streets around it. For the life of me I cant understand why it isnt knocked and rebuilt and pushed right to the back wall with the parking at the front. Obviously this must be a planning issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

I just searched for the Tesco planning permission link and found this which is separate and in the Irish times today.

"Planning application lodged for €25m Liffey Valley project"

Nov 13th 2012 - Irish Times Link

That would be great if it went ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I too do this. The parking facilities are a shambles its so hard to get into and out of that people end up parking on the streets around it. For the life of me I cant understand why it isnt knocked and rebuilt and pushed right to the back wall with the parking at the front. Obviously this must be a planning issue.

I'm sure the locals would throw an almighty hissy fit if at attempt was made to redevelop the Dodsboro Tesco.
    They've also spent quite a bit of money refurbishing it recently.
    I haven't been in it in about two months but it can't be any worse than it was.
    Like a lot of others, I prefer to drive to Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

the doddsboro one is rubbish. I shop at 8.30 am on a sat morning and they never have anything fresh out. Instead i do it online now.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

I think its a good idea if it is built with the same spec as the ones they build in the UK with bigger variety of foods and well laid out aisles.

The one in Clondalkin is a joke, I hate shopping in there, still feels like your shopping in the 90's.

The one in Lucan looks very dated as well but never shopped in there so cant comment.

I dont think M&S and Tesco will be in competition really, M&S are rather different to Tesco and will still maintain there loyal M&S Foody Fans.

If they go down the clothing line Dunnes would probably have something to say about that as well.

I would like to see a more modern looking Tesco around the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The closest Tesco to Lifffey Valley would probably be Ballyfermot and that's a complete dump, it's almost as bad as the one in Clondalkin!

I'd love for this to go ahead, not only would it be a great jobs boost but we'd finally have a nice, modern supermarket close by. It would probably be a 24 hour one too, which would be especially handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

wouldn't an Asda be great:D we can all dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Well I for one hope it doesnt go through

Already Tescos in Lucan clondalkin ballyfermot and a big ones in Maynooth and Naas. Tesco will do what they do and small business will get screwed over and closed down. Already plenty of options including plenty of tescos locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Already Tescos in Lucan clondalkin ballyfermot and a big ones in Maynooth and Naas. Tesco will do what they do and small business will get screwed over and closed down. Already plenty of options including plenty of tescos locally.

Im not sure that will be the case.

There will be enough custom that frequent liffey valley to maintain its presence there and I dont think any of the Tesco's will be touched in either of the above locations due to vicinity being very central and needed in them villages.

I think its a good idea to have an option when your up in LIffey Valley if you are clothes shopping(very rarely these days :() but would be nice to have the option instead of having to pay M&S prices for foods.

It should also add a 100 or more staff I would imagine if its a big enough supermarket.

Already Tescos in Lucan clondalkin ballyfermot and a big ones in Maynooth and Naas.

Tesco in Clondalkin is worse than the crappy one in Lucan. Wouldn't even have thought of going to Ballyfermot. Naas is way too far away for anyone from Lucan to go grocery shopping. Leaves the only nice one, in Maynooth. Nearly everybody I know in Lucan would regularly go to Tesco Maynooth

I'd prefer another nice well stocked Tesco 3km from me, not 15km (that's about €5 in petrol alone just to go buy food)

There's room for more Tescos anyway, as Tesco is one of the few supermarkets (along with Aldi and Lidl) actually managing to increase market share in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The only nearby supermarket close enough to actually feel any effects imo is that overpriced Supervalu on the Neilstown Rd, and even then I'd say the local residents would still go there for their bits and pieces like they do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The Supervalu in Rowlagh?I don't know anybody living around there that does actual grocery shopping there.They treat it like a newsagents.

Tesco in Clondalkin Village is awful,they'll have stuff in stock one week and it won't appear again for a month.

Would definitely shop in Liffey Valley Tesco if it was anything like Naas or The Square.

Apparently this has got the go ahead from Bord Pleanala,there was a story in the Echo about it that i can't seem to link to online as their website is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD12A/0014&type=apps&dateoptions=any&area=Any&keywordtype=applicant&term=tesco

That is the link to the application on the SDCC website, so all the supporting documents are there to view.

I'm trying to figure out what they are doing to the roads though. There is mention of upgrades to various points on the surrounding roads (Lomans Road, Fonthill).

That's great news. Also 350 new jobs and more competition, so better deals is a win win for everybody in the area, except for the profits of some British owned multinational companies :D

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD12A/0014&type=apps&dateoptions=any&area=Any&keywordtype=applicant&term=tesco

That is the link to the application on the SDCC website, so all the supporting documents are there to view.

I'm trying to figure out what they are doing to the roads though. There is mention of upgrades to various points on the surrounding roads (Lomans Road, Fonthill).

From reading the submissions,it appears upgrades means some new toucan crossings at St. Lomans/Fonthill(LV roundabout),and Coldcut road and the creation of a slip lane at the roundabout on the Fonthill opposite the Fonthill retail park.

The idea of a ped crossing at the liffey valley roundabout is frightening. Traffic at peak times is horrendous as it is around there and a ped crossing is going to make it considerably worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Are they going to shut the one in Lucan?
    I can't see them keeping it open if they have massive ones in Liffey Valley and Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

phasers wrote: »
    The closest Tesco to Lifffey Valley would probably be Ballyfermot and that's a complete dump, it's almost as bad as the one in Clondalkin!

Every manager in Tesco Ballyfermot should be sacked.

The staff are good but management haven't a clue.
    Place is filthy and has been for years.

Prices on display are constantly wrong but that's ok as I go to customer service for my "double the difference".

The head manager goes around the store shouting her business for all to hear.

Did I mention the place was filthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Heroditas wrote: »
    Are they going to shut the one in Lucan?
    I can't see them keeping it open if they have massive ones in Liffey Valley and Maynooth.

Doubt it, the one in Lucan is decent open 24 hour and does decent business all hours, if anyone of them was to be closed probably be the one in Clondalkin village which is a dump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Every manager in Tesco Ballyfermot should be sacked.

The staff are good but management haven't a clue.
    Place is filthy and has been for years.

Prices on display are constantly wrong but that's ok as I go to customer service for my "double the difference".

The head manager goes around the store shouting her business for all to hear.

Did I mention the place was filthy?

You could be all right about the above ;)But it does produce good singers :D and has the xfactor.

Advertisement