Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance

Options
  • 11-11-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello just asking if anybody would know if repairs to roof would be covered by home insurance. I climbed into attic yesterday to investigate some dampness I noticed on wall. I can see one cracked tile and felt is damage and hanging down. The wooden supports also have signs of water staining on them. Should I contact insurance company. Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

A standard home policy would cover the roof for things like storm damage and accidental damage if you have chosen it. They will not pay out if they find the damage due to general wear and tear/aging.

I'm an insurance broker myself and what I always say to my clients is only claim off your house insurance if you really have to (i.e you can't afford to fix it yourself) as you will lose the discount that you have earned for not claiming and your premium will go up at renewal time. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

A standard home policy would cover the roof for things like storm damage and accidental damage if you have chosen it. They will not pay out if they find the damage due to general wear and tear/aging.

I'm an insurance broker myself and what I always say to my clients is only claim off your house insurance if you really have to (i.e you can't afford to fix it yourself) as you will lose the discount that you have earned for not claiming and your premium will go up at renewal time. Hope this helps.

Thank you for reply. I have spoken to some roofing contractors about what work needs to be done. My excess on policy is more than cost of getting roof tile and felt replaced. Think I will stay away from insurance. Thanks again

Advertisement