Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood to replace floorboards

• 11-11-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

Planning on replacing wooden floors in an old house and keep them exposed and would like to varnish them.

Would like to buy reclaimed wood flooring but its looking a bit expensive at the moment.

Question is,where do I get standard solid wood used for flooring?flooring company or builders merchants?would appreciate a guide on spec for what I should be looking out for

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Most builders merchants stock lengths of white and [slightly better wearing]red deal floorboards in 4 - 5" width. Can you not salvage your existing boards ? What width and quality are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Most builders merchants stock lengths of white and [slightly better wearing]red deal floorboards in 4 - 5" width. Can you not salvage your existing boards ? What width and quality are they?
    hi i did a floor for a guy awhile ago in a similar situation. we just used red deal solid. 18mm 6inch boards. he sanded and oiled it after. turned out very well. i can check the invoice tomorrow for the sqm price if you want. As for a pre finished solid floor prices range for 23-55 depending on type and quality. plus fitting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi paddylonglegs,
    Your builders merchant will have what your looking for.
    you can use 150x22 T&G white deal or 75/100x22 red deal T&G. White deal will need a stain and finish with a hard gloss or matt varnish. Red deal will need only a finishing floor varnish, this will colour up to a golden brown finish because of the nature of the pigment in the timber. The only thing to watch for is the moisture content of the timber. White deal will have a moisture content of about 18 - 20%, This means the flooring will shrink when it acclimatises.The flooring will acclimatise at about 12% or less. Red deal moisture content will be about 16% and will acclimatise to about 12% or less as well. White deal 150mm or wider will need to be faced nailed otherwise you will get cupping. Red 75/100 can be secret nailed. It will take about 4 coats of varnish for a hard wearing surface, As you apply the varnish slightly sand with fine sand paper between coats to give the next coat a grip
    NW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

wayoutwest wrote: »

Folks thanks for the great replies so far. With regards to refurbish existing,I'd love to do this but am not experienced to know whether wood is in good enough condition. There is some woodworm but I don't know if timbers are salvageable.

Will contact builders merchants tomorrow for costs. I would like as natural a finish as possible so I think a clear lacquer would be best

Thanjs

Advertisement