Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Study

• 11-11-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Okay so I got 10 A's in the JC, and all I did was listen in class, & do my homework....only studied for about 2 hours per subject the night before the exam

But what's the deal with leaving cert... when do I need to start studying?
    I'm currently in 5th year, and already getting pressured!

What do I need to do to get 600 points-ish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

You got 10 A's in the Junior? Well you're pretty much sorted then...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Wing it

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Hi all,

Okay so I got 10 A's in the JC, and all I did was listen in class, & do my homework....only studied for about 2 hours per subject the night before the exam

But what's the deal with leaving cert... when do I need to start studying?
    I'm currently in 5th year, and already getting pressured!

What do I need to do to get 600 points-ish?

Firstly congrats on excellent JC results. However you need to put the JC behind completely, its an entirely different exam and surprise suprise many others probably took your approach and done well since thats how its designed. Also it may make you complacent, presuming you can do well in the LC with this study method just like you did in the JC. Obviously this is wrong.
    In 5th year listen carefully in class and ensure you understand what is being taught, reinforce that knowledge by doing homework to your very best and study for upcoming tests. No need to get pressured yet. If you don't get frequent tests don't let the study accumulate; you'll become put off. Study for 2/3 hours each night but no more! You will become burned out by 6th year, been there done that. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭orriray59

I'm sorry but how can one study for up to three hours during fifth year? Yeah, maybe on the weekends but hell I'm home at 4 and start my homework at 4 which regularly takes up to 2/3 hours. I'll start locking **** down as soon as sixth year starts, though.

Couldn't fathom studying for hours on end after school at the moment. Maybe I'm thick, but I just couldn't be committed enough to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I assume you have photographic memory OP?

• Advertisement

orriray59 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how can one study for up to three hours during fifth year? Yeah, maybe on the weekends but hell I'm home at 4 and start my homework at 4 which regularly takes up to 2/3 hours. I'll start locking **** down as soon as sixth year starts, though.

Couldn't fathom studying for hours on end after school at the moment. Maybe I'm thick, but I just couldn't be committed enough to do that.

Perhaps 3 hours is excessive for some but for others it's normal. It all depends on the points you're striving for.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whistlingmilk

Perhaps 3 hours is excessive for some but for others it's normal. It all depends on the points you're striving for.

It all depends on how you learn. It is important to take time in 5th year to figure out how you learn, not what quota of hours you should be fulfilling. Figure out whether you're someone who needs the pressure of an impending exam to make all those subjects stick in your head, maybe you need to take each subject bit by bit and learn them slowly over time, or maybe you have photographic memory. Regardless, there is a specific method of study that it is most effective for each individual person.

Finding this method is what's important. More hours does not in any way mean more points.

It all depends on how you learn. It is important to take time in 5th year to figure out how you learn, not what quota of hours you should be fulfilling. Figure out whether you're someone who needs the pressure of an impending exam to make all those subjects stick in your head, maybe you need to take each subject bit by bit and learn them slowly over time, or maybe you have photographic memory. Regardless, there is a specific method of study that it is most effective for each individual person.

Finding this method is what's important. More hours does not in any way mean more points.

Valid point but naturally the more time you spend studying the more you learn hence the more points you're likely to get. I understand that it's difficult to appoint an exact number of hours for each person to spend studying but 2, max 3 hours is sufficient. It's enough time (for most) to reinforce what they've learned without going overboard.

Advertisement