Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

• 11-11-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello everyone. Lets talk pipes and pipe tobaccos. My name is Churchwarden and I am a keen pipe smoker and pipe collector.

This forum is for the experienced and novice piper. Pipe smoking is an growing hobby, again, and I would like to hear from people sharing their experiences with various pipe models, tobaccos, social stigma and acceptance and other general pipe related topics.
    Also if you are new to pipe smoking, don't be afraid to ask for advice or help in starting your new hobby. Remember, there are no such things as stupid questions Mod Snip. :) Eventually I am to organize a regular Pipe Club when we have enough interest online. So stay tuned.

Tomorrow I will be collecting 3 new 10" Churchwardens and a brand new 6" bent. No markings or branding as they were hand crafted by a local Dublin craftsman. So really looking forward to carbonizing those bad boys and also trying the Peterson's 2012 Christmas blend.

So what pipes do you have and what do you fill them with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

I currently have one pipe, an Irish seconds that I got as a birthday present (it's bent but that's as far as my knowledge of pipe shapes goes) along with a tin of sunset breeze and sweet Killarney (lucky me!!). Breaking in is going slow but steady, and unfortunately sunset breeze bites me terribly regardless of bowl temperature or puffing rate. Thinking of trying out a flake soon as I'm a cigarette smoker and have heard mostly good things!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Churchwarden

Maybe try a longer pipe or a softer tobacco. Some heavy English tobaccos can give a bite but it is also a thing of trial and error. I also suffered bite at the start but soon vanished when I found the right tobacco to condition the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi,
    hope you don't mind my tuppence worth.

Started on a pipe at 20, and that's over 30 yrs ago, never got the hang of cigarettes, myself, prefer a long relaxing smoke, and a pint ( remember those happy days, )

When I worked in Dublin city, the joys of visiting Kapp & Peterson on payday, and trying out some mixtures.

Always prefered a bent pipe myself, rests on the chin, found the Churchwarden a bit presumptious ( no offence to OP )

Now I work in a rural area, and live also, havent been in Dublin city for years, so I am resolved to being on Mellow Virginia, its a pleasant enough smoke.

One final thought for now, when I see a fellow pipe smoker, I always Nod, a knowing Nod, saying we are in a fellowship, and I always get a Nod in polite reply.

Thats more than a tuppence worth, thats a thruppence if ever. Great to hear. I bought my first pipe from there when I was 15. How I got away with it I will never know. Must have said it was a present for the aul fella. It was a half bent with that lovely diamond shaft shape. Think I smoked tea leaves in it ").
    I like the look of a Churchwarden but never smoke it outside as it does have a pretentious air to it. I do like my bents though. Your right about the chin rest.
    Also good to hear hear of etiquette when acknowledging fellow pipers. It really is a fellowship. It also raises a question that was posed to me recently about pipe smokers being elitist. But then isn't everyone to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I prefer a curved pipe. Is that the same as bent?

I have always bought from Petersons – hints dropped approaching Christmas sometimes results in a present of their "Pipe of the Year".

My favourite smoke is Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake which is towards the heavier end of what's available. It's out of stock at the moment, that happens from time to time and irritates me no end.

The fallback flake is Bracken Flake – also from Samuel Gawith's which is close enough, if slightly more moist (oiler).

One area of difficulty for me is getting a satisfactory pipe lighter at a reasonable price. Peterson's stock a couple of refillable ones for around a tenner but they are not very durable. Their basic disposables are hopeless for pipes.

Fox's stock a decent disposable for €2.10 – it was out of stock for a couple of years but is now available again. It would last me for about a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Condatis wrote: »
    ... Fox's stock a decent disposable for €2.10 – it was out of stock for a couple of years but is now available again. It would last me for about a month.
    Is that the one with piezo ignition and which delivers the flame at a right angle to the body of the lighter?

Yes a bent is the same as a curved. Nice choice in tobacco Condatis. Samuel Gawith do some lovely tobaccos. My findy seeky at the moment is W.O Larsen's Signature. Good even burn, nice and nutty with a hint of sweetness. Very tatsy. But can only get it in Duty Free so have to wait till friends leave the country to get them to get it for me.
    I prefer matches myself. I know lighters get the job done but I just like the ritualistic feel.

What do you guys think of the new Peterson's shop? Cant wait to see how they convert the other two floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Is that the one with piezo ignition and which delivers the flame at a right angle to the body of the lighter?

No. I don't know that one. Is it refillable? How much do they charge for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Condatis wrote: »
    No. I don't know that one. Is it refillable? How much do they charge for it?
    It's more than 2 years since I bought them. Nicest pipe lighters I ever used. Yes, they were disposable. I think they cost a couple of euros each.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Hello everyone. Lets talk pipes and pipe tobaccos. My name is Churchwarden and I am a keen pipe smoker and pipe collector.

This forum is for the experienced and novice piper. Pipe smoking is an growing hobby, again, and I would like to hear from people sharing their experiences with various pipe models, tobaccos, social stigma and acceptance and other general pipe related topics.
    Also if you are new to pipe smoking, don't be afraid to ask for advice or help in starting your new hobby. Remember, there are no such things as stupid questions Mod Snip. :) Eventually I am to organize a regular Pipe Club when we have enough interest online. So stay tuned.

Tomorrow I will be collecting 3 new 10" Churchwardens and a brand new 6" bent. No markings or branding as they were hand crafted by a local Dublin craftsman. So really looking forward to carbonizing those bad boys and also trying the Peterson's 2012 Christmas blend.

So what pipes do you have and what do you fill them with?

Hi Churchwarden. Glad to see a another pipe smoker/collector. I was surprised to hear that we have a pipe carver in Ireland (other than Petersons). What kind of a pipe was it?

• Advertisement

I think he was just a wood turner trying his hand. Funny enough they are 3 Churchwardens and a full bent. They all have wooden stems, which is a slight disadvantage when it came to sterilizing them. I was hoping the tenon did not expand, which they all did, but got them to fit into the mortise again. As far as I know the Sallynoggin factory is the only one making pipes here but would love o see if there are any in the wood crafts community that can do it. I'd like to see some contemporary designs from Irish crafts men that can give Peterson's a run. Have you seen some of Erik Nordings designs? Very striking.
    So as for collecting. I have 4 Churchwardens, 2 full bent venturi pipes and a a cheapo half bent. I had a full collection of various others but they got swiped. So now I am building them back up. What do you have yourself Horsemaster?

He must have some amazing talent creating 4 pipes. I am glad you you got your pipes from him as it may encourage him to make some more. Never had a wooden stem myself (most of mine were bakelite or acrylic). Have you tried the retort method of sterilizing them? That might help you with the wooden stems.

Aside from Petersons, I know there is a clay pipe maker in Ireland. I forgot the place where she makes it. yes, I used to have Nording's designs before. Beautiful lines on those.

I used to have a number of pipes when but gave them all away. I am currently not in Ireland, so I miss smoking my pipes. Once I get back to Ireland, I will start smoking my pipes again. Churchwardens really provide a cool smoke but I am too shy to smoke them outside. I personally prefer to smoke half bents and straights. As for bacca, Old Dublin is my staple. What blend do you go for Churchwarden?

I know. They are the first wooden stems I have come across but the design is nice. That is why I went for them. Never dawned on me to use retort sterilizing. I'll try that in future.
    I would not mind getting my hand on a good clay. They smoke beautiful. I never suffered from ghosting in a clay pipe and could alternate tobacco in them constantly. Such a good material but very fragile. I must search and see if that person you mention still makes them. Where are you living now Horsemaster?
    As for tobacco I go for Sam G''s Cherry mixed with dirty lovely old Clan and also a Rum tobacco from The Decent Cigar Emporium. They tell me who makes it is a small company in England that I cant remember the name of. Old Dublin is nice but waiting to get my hands on Peterson's 2012 Christmas blend. I had a smell in the shop and it seems very nice. Nutty and fruity.

These are my babies

Gorgeous pipes there! I don't worry about ghosts from my pipes. With clay pipes, I heard that you just have to leave it in the fireplace for a bit with a good fire and that removes the ghosts and taste. You are right about them clay pipes being fragile though. I know you can get them ata vistor centre in Knockcroghery, Roscommon. Heard a lady mades them from the original moulds.

I am currently working in Singapore. Can't smoke my pipe here as the bacca here is too costly. You are lucky to be able to enjoy the baccy at a great price. Makes me jealous that you are going to get the 2012 Christmas Cheer. I love heading down to Dublin and visit the pipe shops there. JJ Fox has few pipes but they have their own blend of tobacco so that grand. Petersons is great and I can spend hours there but I am afraid the shop is too small crowded. When I get back to Eire, that will be my first pilgrimmage!

That raises the question of import and export laws regarding tobacco. Have you looked into having any delivered or is there import restrictions in Singapore?
    Apparently the pipes are made from Rose wood, but I am not so sure as it does not look like rose wood. I must get them checked. As for the Clay pipes. That old tradition of cleaning them in the fire also weakens the clay. Still would ot stop me from having one again. So it looks like I will have to pop to Roscommon. Seems all roads lead to Roscommon for me. I'm doing my family tree and we originally come from there. Knowing me I will end up living there and smoking clay pipes all day.
    If push comes to shove I can post over some nice tobacco.

This is why pipe smokers are known among ourselves as Brothers of Briar! They are always willing to help each other out. Thank you very much Churchwarden. It is very kind of you. Unfortunately, My friends tried to send me tobacco via courier and mail but they all have been confiscated. I was always warned by the cutoms. But I do want to thank you for your kindness and once I get back to Ireland, I am sure we will meet up and the drinks are on me! Singapore is very strict when it comes to tobacco.

You are right about the clay pipe will weaken somewhat if tossed into a fire. Might be another way to clean them but I am at a loss.

My hope is when I come back, I hope to start a pipe club. It will give a chance to keep the hobby alive. If there is anything you like from Singapore, please let me know and I will bring it with me when we meet up. I can talk about pipe and tobacco all day!

Your very welcome and yes, customs can always be an issue. This is expected. Especially in Singapore. And yes when you arrive back a drink and pipe chat is always welcome. may have more pipers to join at that time.
    Thanks for the offer from Singapore but I am fine for everything. Well apart from a nice Meerschaum I have my eye on.
    How strict are the Singapore authorities on smoking in public these days?

I love Meers. I know there are a quite a few purists who age them to a golden patina wearing gloves! I just smokes them like my normal pipes. As I can get clumsy, I got a plain Meer. What kind of Meer are you getting? I have heard conflicting remarks on their teflon tenon. I saw a few videos on how they harvest/mine them and make them into intricate pipes.

Singapore is very strict about following the laws and smoking is no exception. They actually have a yellow outlined area in outdoor eating areas which is good. A lot of smokers here but I have seen very smoking pipes.

What kind of finish do you like Churchwarden? I have a few friends who only like smooth grains with flame or straight grains. Sandblasted pipes are another option. There are some really nice rusticated pipes out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Hi
    I recently returned to pipe smoking following many years of cigar smoking. Am currently enjoying several of McClellands brands in particular Blue Mountain and Frog Morton Cellar both English blends. I have some Erinmore flake and Jackknife plug on order as well as Peterson, Old Dublin and Irish Flake.
    My years ago when I first smoked I used to smoke Mick McQuade and yachtsman but since returning to pipe smoking I've decided to try a wide variety of tobaccos.
    I am currently smoking corn cob pipes, Missouri Meerschaums.
    I intend buying a Peterson churchwarden, Savinelli Bing and an Invicta Poker in the near future and I'll keep the cobs for testing new tobacco.
    It's good to see that there are fellow pipe smokers on Boards
    Cheers
    Paxo

• Advertisement

Thats great Paxo. I was just wondering, I see you like your plugs and flake. I think they are flavourful. I can see you are going to have a great Christmas with all those 'to have' list of pipes.

I'm just after a plain Meerschaum. Nothing fancy. I am actually looking forward to the gradual coloration. The slow corruption from white to that lovely amber tone. But of course I would do it without the gloves. That would be too fanatic. Send on the links to the videos of the Meerschaum production if it is available Horsemaster.
    I like a smooth finish. Not too much into the course grain. It ruins the aesthetic of my interpretation on how a pipe should feel in the hand.

Hi Paxo. Good t hear from you. Savinelli Bing always reminds me of a mini Churchwarden. Take it you like your slenders. Sounds like you have a nice selection of tobacco too. Maybe we should start the odd review now and then. New pipe and new tobacco. I might try get to Peterson's tomorrow and give this years Christmas blend a twirl. €40 down the drain if it tastes like potpourri :). Where are you from Paxo?

Maybe try a longer pipe or a softer tobacco. Some heavy English tobaccos can give a bite but it is also a thing of trial and error. I also suffered bite at the start but soon vanished when I found the right tobacco to condition the tongue.

Thanks Churchwarden! Unfortunately my bank account somewhat limits my ability to buy more pipes/too many new tobaccos. I'm going to go with researching different tobaccos as much as possible before buying. That, or win the euromillions! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thats where a pipe club comes in handy, swopping and tasting other tobaccos that you'd not usually buy.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

You can always buy cheap pipes, just to break in your smoking techniques. I am sure one of our nice Brothers of Briar (thanks Horsemaster) can donate a pipe to you. I have a nice Churchwarden I can donate to you if you like. Am happy to help you along.

You can always buy cheap pipes, just to break in your smoking techniques. I am sure one of our nice Brothers of Briar (thanks Horsemaster) can donate a pipe to you. I have a nice Churchwarden I can donate to you if you like. Am happy to help you along.

Thanks, but I couldn't! I only really smoke once a day in the evening so I honestly don't think I could justify taking one! The pipe I have smokes very well with sweet killarney so I think Sunset breeze may just not suit me.

Thanks for the offer though, it seems true what they say about the generosity of pipe smokers!! :D

Pipe smokers keep together. It makes us a nice brotherhood. Well you are always welcome. Next time your in Dublin we should all try meet up for a pipe session. I know a few Dub pipers wouldlike to meet but the Pipe Club of Dublin does not meet so often.

Send on the links to the videos of the Meerschaum production if it is available Horsemaster.

This video is about how Meerschaum is mined
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqBD4lCHUJo

These 2 video are about Meerschaum pipe carvers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrtdBxEw3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1B5e-z4PlY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Hi Paxo. Good t hear from you. Savinelli Bing always reminds me of a mini Churchwarden. Take it you like your slenders. Sounds like you have a nice selection of tobacco too. Maybe we should start the odd review now and then. New pipe and new tobacco. I might try get to Peterson's tomorrow and give this years Christmas blend a twirl. €40 down the drain if it tastes like potpourri :). Where are you from Paxo?

Churchwarden
    I'm in Brisbane Australia, beautiful weather at the moment for sitting outside and enjoying a pipe. I do prefer the slender pipes as I usually smoke while sitting out on the deck or reading. My daughter is going to pick up a Peterson Churchwarden Dublin for me when she visits Ireland in January I'm looking forward to breaking that in, Might try an convince her to pick me up some Mick mc Quade
    Paxo

Advertisement