Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 soCKrates

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I got a pal of mine to post me over some tins from the states and have yet to recieve it. Normally I have it within a week but its pushing 2 now.

Hopefully its just the christmas season but Ill let u guys know if I recieve it.

A guy on the FB page said he'd do that for me as well if I couldn't get them myself. My friend is semding over samples from the States as well, its still in LA and was posted on the 14th I think. The one I sent to him was in New York the day after I sent it and is at a standstill now as well. I think you're right, it must be because of the season that's in it. Hopefully says you!

What tin's are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

soCKrates wrote: »
    What tin's are you getting?

3 Tins of Captain Black 'Red Sky', 2 Tins Dunhill 'Early Morning', 3 Tins Ashton 'Smooth Sailing' (My Fav) and 3 Packets 50g of Mac Baron 'Plumcake'(Keeping it traditional!) . It works out at around 100 quid with postage. I just wire my pal the money and return the favour if he needs me to send him over stuff from here.

Hell will have to freeze over before I pay €22.50 for 1 tin here! It would actually work out cheaper if the Euro was strong but I'm still saving a good few quid.

Actually bought a new Falcon pipe (My first) with a Plymouth bowl and am dying to break it in!

3 Tins of Captain Black 'Red Sky', 2 Tins Dunhill 'Early Morning', 3 Tins Ashton 'Smooth Sailing' (My Fav) and 3 Packets 50g of Mac Baron 'Plumcake'(Keeping it traditional!) . It works out at around 100 quid with postage. I just wire my pal the money and return the favour if he needs me to send him over stuff from here.

Hell will have to freeze over before I pay €22.50 for 1 tin here! It would actually work out cheaper if the Euro was strong but I'm still saving a good few quid.

Actually bought a new Falcon pipe (My first) with a Plymouth bowl and am dying to break it in!

Nice! I've yet to try early morning pipe, I'm cautious about trying Latakia just yet.. I'm too much of a fan of Virginia's and VaPer's now ATM anyway and will take a bit of a push for me to branch out! The Ashton blend sounds nice though.. And that's all a hell of a lot cheaper alright, has it worked all the time so far?

I want to try Mississippi river and a few GL Pease and also esoterica blends and whatever else takes my fancy when I have a gander online at smokingpipes. I'm very wary of them making it over though, suppose I won't know until I take the dive.

I've a falcon pipe ready to arrive after Christmas too with a spare bowl. I've also ordered a Plymouth, a billiard and a meerschaum lined hyberbole I think its called. I had to look them up when you said it and I had to have one when I saw them! Awesome looking things and cheap as chips, so why not?!

Nice! I've yet to try early morning pipe, I'm cautious about trying Latakia just yet.. I'm too much of a fan of Virginia's and VaPer's now ATM anyway and will take a bit of a push for me to branch out! The Ashton blend sounds nice though.. And that's all a hell of a lot cheaper alright, has it worked all the time so far?

I want to try Mississippi river and a few GL Pease and also esoterica blends and whatever else takes my fancy when I have a gander online at smokingpipes. I'm very wary of them making it over though, suppose I won't know until I take the dive.

I've a falcon pipe ready to arrive after Christmas too with a spare bowl. I've also ordered a Plymouth, a billiard and a meerschaum lined hyberbole I think its called. I had to look them up when you said it and I had to have one when I saw them! Awesome looking things and cheap as chips, so why not?!

Would you believe I recieved it yesterday morning. It was simply a back up in the postal system. Have to say that the Falcon Piping system is incredibley underrated! It really burns the tobacco alot cooler so you don't get tongue bite! Plus it's such a simplier looking pipe, nothing against most pipes but I find some can be a bit ott with their bowl and stem designs!

I completely agree with your hesitence with Latakia!It's certainly not a blend for everyone, I personally can't stand Nightcap even though alot of smokers consider it their go to brand. It just seems way too strong for me???

The one brand I can't stand is Borkum Riff. I used to swear by it when I started out....the choice of flavours available attracted me to it such as Cherry Canendish, Honey & Orange, Vanilla Cavendish etc... but it's only when you try other brands especially house blends do you realise that it pure garbage. I always assumed tongue bite was the folly of the pipe smoker until I tried other blends!

My only gripe as a pipe smoker is there seems to be alot of us but rarely have I seen a public smoker out n about. I always bring my pipes with me and have gotten some weird looks alright but I couldn't give a sh*te! I may be 30 not 80 but old pipe smokers were once young pipe smokers too!

And don't get me started on ghosting, Im always guilty of it! Even though I have about 20 pipes Im always using the same 2/3 that I love. I think the facon will be number 4 now! Lol

Sure pm me your address and Ill post you a bowl of Early Morning to try. I think you'll like it!

Would you believe I recieved it yesterday morning. It was simply a back up in the postal system. Have to say that the Falcon Piping system is incredibley underrated! It really burns the tobacco alot cooler so you don't get tongue bite! Plus it's such a simplier looking pipe, nothing against most pipes but I find some can be a bit ott with their bowl and stem designs!

I completely agree with your hesitence with Latakia!It's certainly not a blend for everyone, I personally can't stand Nightcap even though alot of smokers consider it their go to brand. It just seems way too strong for me???

The one brand I can't stand is Borkum Riff. I used to swear by it when I started out....the choice of flavours available attracted me to it such as Cherry Canendish, Honey & Orange, Vanilla Cavendish etc... but it's only when you try other brands especially house blends do you realise that it pure garbage. I always assumed tongue bite was the folly of the pipe smoker until I tried other blends!

My only gripe as a pipe smoker is there seems to be alot of us but rarely have I seen a public smoker out n about. I always bring my pipes with me and have gotten some weird looks alright but I couldn't give a sh*te! I may be 30 not 80 but old pipe smokers were once young pipe smokers too!

And don't get me started on ghosting, Im always guilty of it! Even though I have about 20 pipes Im always using the same 2/3 that I love. I think the facon will be number 4 now! Lol

Sure pm me your address and Ill post you a bowl of Early Morning to try. I think you'll like it!

That's good to hear, I'm glad you got it before Christmas. Mines still on the way from LA so there's two chances of it being here before then!

That's what I was looking up about the Falcon pipes.. They produce a nice dry smoke and doesn't burn hot.. Even my Savinelli gets hot very quick and I try to sip it slowly. The rustic 303 I have smokes grand and can take the heat well sonim looking forward to try this Falcon pipe. Its such a unique pipe, I'm surprised I haven't came across it sooner.

I haven't tried Borkam Riff, and now in don't plan to after your description haha I'm actually going off the aromatic blends since I tried Erinmore flake, it smells more like perfume than a good flake. It doesn't taste bad but it's not all its hyped up to be, its definitely up in my swap box now! Its totally unlike Orlik, I love the smell of the golden sliced and the taste is just as good so I'll be holding onto it. On GQ tobaccos he has a few house blends that I have in my cart ready to ship. Askith Kake and Swamp Flower, both VaPer blends. And I want to try non aromatics next so I'll research a few Oriental's and other English's to throw in the mix.

I'm not afraid of ghosts either, I've tried all the blends I have in my 303 and sure its grand, I haven't for too much of a fright yet to put me off smoking.

Yeah you're right, I don't see any pipers out piping, I don't even see old boys. I'm 28 myself and I only smoke a pipe when I'm out for a walk and taking photos really, but people are strange anyway, they'd find something to gawk at, god forbid we look out of place or anything haha

I'll PM you if I can, I have to have a minimum of 25 posts, I'm not sure if I'm there yet, I'll send you a list of what tobaccos I have and swap you whateber you like for a few pipefulls of early morning. Cheers!

• Advertisement

That's good to hear, I'm glad you got it before Christmas. Mines still on the way from LA so there's two chances of it being here before then!

That's what I was looking up about the Falcon pipes.. They produce a nice dry smoke and doesn't burn hot.. Even my Savinelli gets hot very quick and I try to sip it slowly. The rustic 303 I have smokes grand and can take the heat well sonim looking forward to try this Falcon pipe. Its such a unique pipe, I'm surprised I haven't came across it sooner.

I haven't tried Borkam Riff, and now in don't plan to after your description haha I'm actually going off the aromatic blends since I tried Erinmore flake, it smells more like perfume than a good flake. It doesn't taste bad but it's not all its hyped up to be, its definitely up in my swap box now! Its totally unlike Orlik, I love the smell of the golden sliced and the taste is just as good so I'll be holding onto it. On GQ tobaccos he has a few house blends that I have in my cart ready to ship. Askith Kake and Swamp Flower, both VaPer blends. And I want to try non aromatics next so I'll research a few Oriental's and other English's to throw in the mix.

I'm not afraid of ghosts either, I've tried all the blends I have in my 303 and sure its grand, I haven't for too much of a fright yet to put me off smoking.

Yeah you're right, I don't see any pipers out piping, I don't even see old boys. I'm 28 myself and I only smoke a pipe when I'm out for a walk and taking photos really, but people are strange anyway, they'd find something to gawk at, god forbid we look out of place or anything haha

I'll PM you if I can, I have to have a minimum of 25 posts, I'm not sure if I'm there yet, I'll send you a list of what tobaccos I have and swap you whateber you like for a few pipefulls of early morning. Cheers!

I'll send you some Borkum Riff too just so you know the dangers!

Nice to see a fellow young pipe smoker!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reillypadraig

Hey guys, not sure if this is in right section but,
    I'm new enough to pipe smoking and got a liking for it, that and cigars but strayed away last year, back smoking again Balkan flake but went to my favourite dunhill nightcap tin (have humidor) only to find the horror that I left it empty..... So I looked online with gauntleys of Nottingham where I bought last tin......not on the site? Then petersons....not on the site.....have they discontinued it again??? Or can it be got?

Hey guys, not sure if this is in right section but,
    I'm new enough to pipe smoking and got a liking for it, that and cigars but strayed away last year, back smoking again Balkan flake but went to my favourite dunhill nightcap tin (have humidor) only to find the horror that I left it empty..... So I looked online with gauntleys of Nottingham where I bought last tin......not on the site? Then petersons....not on the site.....have they discontinued it again??? Or can it be got?

It can be got in Fox's in Dublin or jamesfox website.

I just checked and it's in stock in Gauntleys

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

hi, unwanted gift for Dad, 5 packs of 50g Clan pipe tobacco from Germany free, to anyone who will use it. in co waterford area,
    offers by pm only
    tha

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

Pm's sent

• Advertisement

sdp wrote: »
    hi, unwanted gift for Dad, 5 packs of 50g Clan pipe tobacco from Germany free, to anyone who will use it. in co waterford area,
    offers by pm only
    tha

Fair play but how about offering 1 pack each to other members instead of giving all 5 to one?

Btw I'm not looking for any myself! Have a ton of tobacco atm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

how about offering 1 pack each to other members instead of giving all 5 to one?
    Per the other thread, the tobacco is now gone.

Just thought I'd refresh this forum with a story that happened to me today. So as we all know we've had a nice few days these week, perfect for piping outside. I was walking through the Phoenix Park today smoking some Dunhill Nighcap in my Donegal Rocky when an elderly man literally ran across the road to shake my hand and tell me how nice it was to see another pipe smoker out n about.

After talking to me for about 20mins asking me how old I was, to how long I smoked pipes, favourite blends etc...he fired up his falcon and smoked with me.

Since I started smoking pipes in 2010 this was a first for me and really made my day. So the lesson to everyone here is get out there with your pipes and fire up! Don't worry about what other people think! There's definitely a brotherhood among us pipe smokers!

Just thought I'd refresh this forum with a story that happened to me today. So as we all know we've had a nice few days these week, perfect for piping outside. I was walking through the Phoenix Park today smoking some Dunhill Nighcap in my Donegal Rocky when an elderly man literally ran across the road to shake my hand and tell me how nice it was to see another pipe smoker out n about.

After talking to me for about 20mins asking me how old I was, to how long I smoked pipes, favourite blends etc...he fired up his falcon and smoked with me.

Since I started smoking pipes in 2010 this was a first for me and really made my day. So the lesson to everyone here is get out there with your pipes and fire up! Don't worry about what other people think! There's definitely a brotherhood among us pipe smokers!

There certainly is a brotherhood among us, it amazes how connected we all get and the amount we have in common with each other. I've made a few new friends all thanks to pipe smoking. Yourself included! You and anyone else whose interested should join PSOI on Facebook so we can arrange a meetup or something. It would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Hi does anyone know what other Pipe tobacco is available in local shops, I'd like to try a few more apart from:

- Mick McQuaid (not available in shops anymore)
    - Condor

thanks ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Would I be better with the Briar pipe or Corn cob? Briar being €6 more expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Briar will last a lot longer, but if you are starting you may save the money and buy one later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 J.B.E

Does anyone know if a shop in Dublin can provide a sampling pack of maybe 10 grams of each Tobacco?

• Advertisement

Not sure. Ask in Peterson's on Nassau Street -- they sell by weight. Some interesting stuff, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I heard today that because of some new law requiring 75% warnings on packages that pipe tobacco will no longer be available in Ireland. Anyone know how true this is? Foxes and Petersons will not have Yeatsmans plug for much longer I can confirm that for sure.

I heard today that because of some new law requiring 75% warnings on packages that pipe tobacco will no longer be available in Ireland. Anyone know how true this is? Foxes and Petersons will not have Yeatsmans plug for much longer I can confirm that for sure.

I find that very hard to believe.

I don't know the exact details but, new FDA regulations are stopping production of certain tobaccos after a certain date in '07 or something. (Additives and whatever aromatics in tobacco need a full description of ingredients. If you get your tobacco from a manufacturer it's almost impossible to get a complete list of ingredients, for obvious reasons.)

It's disatorous for small business because now they have to jump through hoops to process applications for all tobaccos they stock which costs a large amount of money.

GQ tobaccos in the UK are now closing down because of this for example, which is a damn shame. He is one of the good guys. Google the new FDA pipe tobacco regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I find that very hard to believe.

Was told it yesterday buy the guy in Foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi guy's, just a quick heads up

Coming back from Newry at weekend stopped at shop on border and got couple of 25G packs of tobacco for £6.50 each, they did not have any 50G packs.

Paid by card and the conversion rate was 90p

So that's E7.20 for a 25G pack compared to nearly 11.00 after the budget

Appreciate not everyone travels to the north, but it's worth it if you have the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Where is this shop?
    There's a trip north planned in the next few weeks for shopping. I'm low on tobacco too so a few tins of different types would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Any shop, these are Northern prices at present, and at current exchange rates.

Hello all!

There is a pipe club meet up coming up on Friday 2nd December at 1200. This is mainly going to be a tour of Peterson's factory in sallynoggins.

If anyone wants to attend send me a PM and I'll get your name taken down :)

• Advertisement

Hello all!

There is a pipe club meet up coming up on Friday 2nd December at 1200. This is mainly going to be a tour of Peterson's factory in sallynoggins.

If anyone wants to attend send me a PM and I'll get your name taken down :)

I'm in.

Advertisement