Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bronco_

Hello everyone. Have you any experience with Danish Pipe Shop danishpipeshop com?
    Im looking to order a few tins and i dont want my shipment to get seized customs. its really hard to find any mac baren or samuel gawith or any other blends for that matter and i wanna try some new flakes and blends. Im also looking for some time now at that new Dagner Cob...a corn cob poker. Anyone has it?..any thoughts on that pipe. I really want a poker shaped pipe custom made...but dont have 100 e or more for it now and that one is in my budget and looks good enough.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Their site says:
    If you are an EU citizen you can therefore buy tobacco without any problems from a majority of the EU countries due to the fact that Denmark is an EU country and taxes has been paid in a EU country.
    This is factually incorrect (unless you pick up the tobacco from them in person) and implies that they don't make any customs arrangements with destination countries, and therefore if you order tobacco from them it may be seized by Irish customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bronco_

so the best option would be to order from UK..or is it same anywhere you order from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Bronco_ wrote: »
    so the best option would be to order from UK..or is it same anywhere you order from?
    Your only good option is to import in person. Anything sent to you can be seized.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you order from outside the EU there is at least the option to pay the tax owed, so if you give it a couple of years before placing that UK order... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 soCKrates

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I'm in.

Your name is down :)ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Thanks man. Just fire me a pm with the info when we get closer to december.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 connemara1

Hi. I'm awaiting my first pipes. I've ordered 2 via eBay (a fairly new, briar Chacom,Opal Exclusive,Meerschaum,Bent Rhodesian and a straight Darnell from the 60's). My father always smoked a pipe. He had around 15 of them back in the 70's but I need to have them sent to me which may take awhile. I'm in Galway, its there any good places for decent tobacco? I heard Powells have some, so far I picked up a pouch of 'Mick McQuaid' at my local shop as it was the most popular seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 norventon

Hi soCKrates
    I would like to go for the tour at the factory as well, do you know how long would it take?
    I can only take hour of 2 off on Friday and im working near the factory so that helps?

thanks and reagrds
    Norbert

norventon wrote: »
    Hi soCKrates
    I would like to go for the tour at the factory as well, do you know how long would it take?
    I can only take hour of 2 off on Friday and im working near the factory so that helps?

thanks and reagrds
    Norbert

Hi Norbert.

Have you a Facebook account? If you do, look up 'PSOI' and request to join the page then you can request that your name be put down for the tour.

I think the numbers that are attending have been sent off already, so I'm not sure if I can ask for another name to be added at this stage that is not a member of the group.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 norventon

ok thanks soCKrates, will log in to Facebook and request to join the group
    regards
    Norbert

norventon wrote: »
    ok thanks soCKrates, will log in to Facebook and request to join the group
    regards
    Norbert

If you're not added by now just PM me here with your name and I can add you :)

connemara1 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm awaiting my first pipes. I've ordered 2 via eBay (a fairly new, briar Chacom,Opal Exclusive,Meerschaum,Bent Rhodesian and a straight Darnell from the 60's). My father always smoked a pipe. He had around 15 of them back in the 70's but I need to have them sent to me which may take awhile. I'm in Galway, its there any good places for decent tobacco? I heard Powells have some, so far I picked up a pouch of 'Mick McQuaid' at my local shop as it was the most popular seller.

Not many places online in Ireland anyway. There's the Peterson shop and James Fox's in Dublin. But for more selection, I suggest using online shops such as 'danish pipe shop' or 'pioes and cigars' in the US. Just be aware of custom/tax charges if you're ordering from abroad.

Hi. I bought a 1960's era Darnell pipe via ebay. When it came, it was broken in half with part of the stem inside the bowl. It may be a bit of a trial but I may be able to get the broken piece out. It seems to be firmly stuck. Can anyone suggest a site to order a new stem? Or advise on the procedure?
    Many thanks in advance.

soCKrates wrote: »
    Not many places online in Ireland anyway. There's the Peterson shop and James Fox's in Dublin. But for more selection, I suggest using online shops such as 'danish pipe shop' or 'pioes and cigars' in the US. Just be aware of custom/tax charges if you're ordering from abroad.

I just saw your reply, my broadband is dodgy at best. Thanks for that!

connemara1 wrote: »
    Hi. I bought a 1960's era Darnell pipe via ebay. When it came, it was broken in half with part of the stem inside the bowl. It may be a bit of a trial but I may be able to get the broken piece out. It seems to be firmly stuck. Can anyone suggest a site to order a new stem? Or advise on the procedure?
    Many thanks in advance.

You can get stems on eBay. I'm not sure what kind of a pipe a Darnell is but look it up and see what stem it is (plastic, ebonite etc) then look up specs, you might find dimensions for it so you can find the right stem for your pipe.

Stems are easy to get, they just might not fit so may take a couple of fittings before you find the right one. Which could be costly.

Try not damage the inside of the pipe, the stems can be replaced easily but protect the briar at all costs!

If in doubt, join the PSOI page on Facebook. There's a lot of experienced pipe smokers who do repairs/refurbs and make their own so definitely a good place to acquire knowledge!

Hope this helps! :)

Hats off to a great day yesterday. Petersons without doubt went above and beyond for all of us who took the tour.

They arranged for a private minibus to bring us from the Nassau St shop directly to the factory in Sallynoggin. On arrival they had sanwiches, cake, tea/coffee for everybody and allowed everyone to relax and mingle before splitting the group in 2.

We were taken to the factory by an experienced member of staff who took us through the entire manufacturing process, from a piece of uncut briar to the finished article. We could ask as many questions as we liked and take as many pictures but no recording was allowed.

After the tour we were each presented with the 2016 Christmas Pipe along with 100g of the christmas blend. Also the two guys who arranged the tour were given a beautiful Spigot pipe as a special thank you from Petersons.

The sight of everyones reaction was hilarious, it was so unexpected and appreciated by us all. We were also given the option of buying a pipe at a discounted rate if we chose but they didn't put anyone under any pressure. I bought a small barrell Rocky which looks very like a cob except in Briar.

I honestly have to say that I enjoyed the day so much, all the guys from PSOI were as cool as fcuk and Glen and all the staff out in Petersons deserve an award for how welcoming they were and the amount of work they put in.

Without doubt it was a 10/10 experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Have to say that sounds amazing. I've always missed Petersons days because of other commitments, this year being work, last year being I'd organised a tour of a local craft brewery. (Which was good!!!)

I've always found the Petersons lads in the shop very helpful when looking for advice and friendly just to chat to, be it pipe or cigar related.

On another note I've been handed a tin of their Christmas blend this year for my birthday so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into that. It smells fantastic anyway!

Hats off to a great day yesterday. Petersons without doubt went above and beyond for all of us who took the tour.

They arranged for a private minibus to bring us from the Nassau St shop directly to the factory in Sallynoggin. On arrival they had sanwiches, cake, tea/coffee for everybody and allowed everyone to relax and mingle before splitting the group in 2.

We were taken to the factory by an experienced member of staff who took us through the entire manufacturing process, from a piece of uncut briar to the finished article. We could ask as many questions as we liked and take as many pictures but no recording was allowed.

After the tour we were each presented with the 2016 Christmas Pipe along with 100g of the christmas blend. Also the two guys who arranged the tour were given a beautiful Spigot pipe as a special thank you from Petersons.

The sight of everyones reaction was hilarious, it was so unexpected and appreciated by us all. We were also given the option of buying a pipe at a discounted rate if we chose but they didn't put anyone under any pressure. I bought a small barrell Rocky which looks very like a cob except in Briar.

I honestly have to say that I enjoyed the day so much, all the guys from PSOI were as cool as fcuk and Glen and all the staff out in Petersons deserve an award for how welcoming they were and the amount of work they put in.

Without doubt it was a 10/10 experience.

I saw all the photos, it looked like an amazing experience and totally gutted I couldn't make it myself. The guys at Peterson are a wonderful friendly bunch and I'm glad you got to meet some of the guys from PSOI I've no doubt they treated you as one of our own.

See you at the next one :)

soCKrates wrote: »
    I saw all the photos, it looked like an amazing experience and totally gutted I couldn't make it myself. The guys at Peterson are a wonderful friendly bunch and I'm glad you got to meet some of the guys from PSOI I've no doubt they treated you as one of our own.

See you at the next one :)

I really can't thank you enough for putting my name down for the tour it was brilliant. In fact we were told that we were the first ever Irish group to tour the factory!? It's mainly Americans, British etc...

And to tomtucker, the Holiday Season tobacco is really good! Mild on the pallet, burns nicely in the bowl and leaves a nice room note.

Sockrates I have your adddress so I'll send you two bowls worth as a thank you. I'll post it monday.

• Advertisement

I really can't thank you enough for putting my name down for the tour it was brilliant. In fact we were told that we were the first ever Irish group to tour the factory!? It's mainly Americans, British etc...

And to tomtucker, the Holiday Season tobacco is really good! Mild on the pallet, burns nicely in the bowl and leaves a nice room note.

Sockrates I have your adddress so I'll send you two bowls worth as a thank you. I'll post it monday.

No problem at all, I'm glad you got to go and experience the wonder of it all! Being the first Irish pipe group attending was seemly very special for the guys at Peterson as well, as you can tell :)

Thanks for the sample, it smells really nice actually. I may get a new corn cob to test it in.. Almost all my pipes are dedicated to Turkish/Latakia blends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Westie89

Hi All,

Any pipe clubs across the country?

Cheers,

Westie89 - avid pipe smoker/collector

Westie89 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Any pipe clubs across the country?

Cheers,

Westie89 - avid pipe smoker/collector

Check out Pipe Smokers of Ireland on Facebook. Great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

+1 for PSOI, they are a great bunch of people. I'm currently enjoying Christmas in America as my parents live here. I've gotten my orders from P&C and smoking pipes but I plan on checking out the two best local shops in the next few days. Time to practice the eyes down and shuffle for the airport baggage reclaim at home!

I have found Germany a good place to stock up in the EU, Munich airport has a small branch of Wolsdorff tabak, prices are about half that of Ireland and they have a reasonable selection of Macbaren, DAN tobacco etc.

Having said that, as much as I buy abroad, I still try to give business to home shops too, the last proper Tobacconists here in Cork closed in 2012 so if I want Peterson tobacco I try to get it direct from themselves and always buy something from Mr. Powell at the 4 corners in Galway when I visit my OH up therd, even if it's just a pack of cleaners. With the way regulations are going it will be harder and harder to find supplies. Tobacco can no longer be sold by weight here, the jars in Peterson's are just for having a sniff, and they told me that soon all packaging will be plain and completely off display like cigarettes are now.

Just thought I'd give this thread a new bump for 2017. In the last few weeks I heard that Dunhill is ceasing production of all piped tobacco so if anyone here likes Early Morning pipe, London Mixture, Nightcap etc... I'd advise to stock up.

So is there any new Pipers about or any blends you'd like to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Feldi

Hi all...anybody up for a swap?...I have a tin of Old Dublin 2 bowls smoked and i am not gonna smoke it anymore...virginia blend or a burly would be nice...but feel free to suggest anything...I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jakub P.

Does anyone know what happened with Pipe Smokers of Ireland? It seems they no longer exist on Facebook.

It is still there, the name was changed to PSOI due to Facebook trying to ban tobacco related groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jakub P.

Thank you, Sir :)

• Advertisement

Jakub P. wrote: »
    Thank you, Sir :)

Lady :P an even rarer breed than the gentleman pipe smoker!

Advertisement