Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

BeerNut wrote: »
    Never heard of using filters with a pipe. Where do you see that?
    It depends on the pipe. Every pipe I buy, I make sure it can take a 9mm replaceable filter (as on the photo below), which normally lasts two smokes. The filter makes the smoking experience cooler, cleaner and more enjoyable.

peterson_filters.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AndrzejL

Seweryn wrote: »
    It depends on the pipe. Every pipe I buy, I make sure it can take a 9mm replaceable filter (as on the photo below), which normally lasts two smokes. The filter makes the smoking experience cooler, cleaner and more enjoyable.

peterson_filters.jpg

Ok thanks for the info.

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AndrzejL wrote: »
    d) pipe tool that looks sort of like a large nail ;)...
    A "pipe companion" is what it's usually called.
    Any thoughts on the pipe / cleaners that I bought?
    They're fine.

They're fine.
    Well that's really much better then one would expect for €10... Thanks! I cannot wait for them to arrive... ;) Cheers. Andrzej

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah.... TBH I wouldn't get too attached to that pipe. I understand that you get what you pay for with pipes. But it should last long enough for you to learn if pipe smoking is for you or not.

• Advertisement

Yeah.... TBH I wouldn't get too attached to that pipe. I understand that you get what you pay for with pipes. But it should last long enough for you to learn if pipe smoking is for you or not.

That's as long as I need it for... ;)

Thanks.

Andrzej

Ok guys so I bit the bullet and I have bought 2 x 25 grams of Mellow Virginia at local Tesco. Thats the only one they had available and it was not cheap. €16 for 50 grams. That seems expensive especially when I hear that in USA You can get 12 oz. (thats around 350 grams) of pipe tobacco (in shops like wallgreens) for 14 - 15 bucks.

http://pipesandcigars.com/suvapitoblan.html

How do the prices look like at Your local tobacco shop?

Seems to me like we are paying 7 - 8 times more for our puffs...

I have sent the pipes and cigars customer service e-mail and asked them about shipping to Ireland still waiting for a reply.

Kind regards.

Andrzej

How do the prices look like at Your local tobacco shop?
    Hi Andrzej,

I have some tobaccos on the frot of me that I am smoking at the moment and for comparison they are as follows:

This one €5.10,-

This one €6.00,-

This one €7.65,-

This one €8.95,-

All are 50g. The last two are class and the last one is flake cut. All the goodies were purchased in Germany. As previously said, there are no local tobacco shops near me, not a Tesco store either.

Like I said... How comes that in America You can get 500 grams of tobacco for $15 and in Ireland You ahve to pay €16 for 50 grams? I need to find a cheap tobacco supplier... Maybe ordering tobacco from USA won't be such a bad idea?

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Like I said... How comes that in America You can get 500 grams of tobacco for $15 and in Ireland You ahve to pay €16 for 50 grams? I need to find a cheap tobacco supplier... Maybe ordering tobacco from USA won't be such a bad idea?

Cheers.

Andrzej

Quite simply it's tax that causes the price of tobacco to be so high here.

Ordering from the US would leave you open to being hit for duty by customs, check out the sticky at the top of the forum for the regulations.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know it's the tax but is that normal? To pay 20 times more? I mean I am not saying "smuggle" or "contraband"... I am saying they have very expensive tobaccos AND they have very inexpensive tobaccos... we however only have expensive tobaccos... I am just saying that it's very unfair and uncool... but then that's life.

Cheers.

Andrzej

Yeah I know it's the tax but is that normal? To pay 20 times more? I mean I not saying "smuggle" or "contraband"... I am saying they have expensive tobaccos AND they have very inexpensive tobaccos... we however only have expensive tobaccos... I am just saying that it's very unfair and uncool... but then that's life.
    As far as I am aware, Ireland has the highest prices of pipe tobaccos anywhere in the known world. When tobacco was available locally, I remember paying €17 for 50g. Even in the most expensive countries like Denmark the cost of equivalent stuff is no more than half what we pay in Ireland.

That's just not cool... I mean Ireland IS fantastic. I love it here... but the cost of the puffs is ridiculous...

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

That's just not cool... I mean Ireland IS fantastic. I love it here... but the cost of the puffs is ridiculous...

Cheers.

Andrzej

Depends on where you go.......

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Depends on where you go.......

Can You recommend (without breaking the forum rules) any legal places that sell cheap tobacco for pipes?

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If you buy pipe tobacco in Ireland, it's not cheap. If you import it by post or courier, you are likely to be charged excise duty.

If you travel in the EU (but forget the UK, where tobacco is also expensive) you may purchase up to 1 kg. of tobacco and bring it into Ireland for personal use without being charged additional taxes. You could probably bring in a bit more and argue with customs, because the 1 kg. is a guideline rather than a legally-prescribed allowance.

On filters: I have a couple of pipes intended to be used with filters; I never use them.

That is correct... however I am not traveling... Last time I was abroad 3 years ago. Will have to remember to stack up on tobacco next time I am abroad...

Thanks.

Andrzej

I have just smoked my first load. The tobacco was Mellow Virginia. Now I know what all the fuss is about ;). Its really something else... Quite pleasant experience to be honest. I need to get myself a "proper" pipe and a nice stash of tobacco...

I think I am hooked.

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I have just smoked my first load. The tobacco was Mellow Virginia. Now I know what all the fuss is about ;). Its really something else... Quite pleasant experience to be honest. I need to get myself a "proper" pipe and a nice stash of tobacco...

I think I am hooked.

Cheers.

Andrzej

You live in Dublin?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You live in Dublin?

No. Limerick.

Cheers.

Andrzej

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

Hi All
    Just checking if there is any tobacco swapping going on or perhaps anyone could point me in the right direction. I see from some youtube videos in the states that it can be quite popular. Are we able to put it up on boards ?.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rodserling

Good Evening. I'm looking to set up a club of pipe smokers in the Dublin area. Any thoughts? Yours in the briar, Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rodserling

I'm not sure whether you received my previous post; I would like to organise a pipe club for Dublin. What are your thoughts? Regards, Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Keirren

Hi everyone, I am delighted to be a part of this forum as I have only recently taken up pipe smoking and am completely hooked! I own a few pipes now, a vintage Pete 314, an Aran 86, a Killarney 86, standard 303 a falcon and a couple of others. My problem is the lack of pipe and tobacco shops in the Galway area. I desperately want to try different tobaccos of the aromatic variety and apart from online I am at a loss of where to go. I was wondering if any of you fine people had an advice or recommendations on any groups clubs of pipe shops that stock a variety of pipes, tobacco and assesories ? And help would be gratefully received. Kind regards and happy smokes my friends. Keirren :-)

Keirren wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am delighted to be a part of this forum as I have only recently taken up pipe smoking and am completely hooked! I own a few pipes now, a vintage Pete 314, an Aran 86, a Killarney 86, standard 303 a falcon and a couple of others. My problem is the lack of pipe and tobacco shops in the Galway area. I desperately want to try different tobaccos of the aromatic variety and apart from online I am at a loss of where to go. I was wondering if any of you fine people had an advice or recommendations on any groups clubs of pipe shops that stock a variety of pipes, tobacco and assesories ? And help would be gratefully received. Kind regards and happy smokes my friends. Keirren :-)
    Hi Keirren,

All of my tobaccos, pipes and accessories were purchased abroad. There are no shops in my area anywhere. This is unfortunate, and as far as I know it would be illegal to send tobaccos abroad.
    Anyway, there are thousands of various tobaccos on the world market, so any time you get a chance, you can try something new and that is one of the best things in pipe smoking hobby, the variety of stuff is almost endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

If you ever travel to Dublin at all you could just stock up in Peterson's

If you ever travel to Dublin at all you could just stock up in Peterson's
    I am never in that place, however are there any shops in Dublin that sell decent tobaccos (except Peterson), preferably Danish, Dutch or American stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Keirren wrote: »
    My problem is the lack of pipe and tobacco shops in the Galway area.

Have you tried Powells - The Four Corners ? they usually have the full Peterson tobacco range

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Have you tried Powells - The Four Corners ? ...
    It's the only place I know where you can buy a pipe for making music and a pipe for smoking in the one transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Seweryn wrote: »
    I am never in that place, however are there any shops in Dublin that sell decent tobaccos (except Peterson), preferably Danish, Dutch or American stuff?

Foxs. About 20 yards from petersons. Check the internet site for all their stuff. They have their own brands, petersons and many more. They also have many pipes and starter sets.

Advertisement