Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hi guys.

Been smoking a pipe for about a year now and I have to say it's a very relaxing pursuit. I have two questions for the more seasoned smoker out there-

Firstly- one of the main reasons that I always had a desire to take up pipe smoking was because of the amazing smell I always associated with it. As a kid I can remember how horible the smell of cigs was but even more distinctly I remember the amazing smell of pipe tobacco. It was a particular smell that I recognized immediately whenever some old guy lit up. I've tried various different tobaccos- aromatics and virginas, but yet I haven't found something that comes close to it. It wasn't sweet like an aromatic or extremely "tobaccoy" like a virginia. It was just a distinct moreish smell. I'm figuring it must have been some widely available over the counter tobacco because it was something I used to smell again and again about 15-20 years ago. A bit vague I know but it's all I've got!

Secondly- any pipe reccomendations for around the 100 euro mark? I have two standard Petersons, an entry level Savenilli and two other unbranded pipes(Purists may scoff but I do think the Savenilli filter system works quite well). All are solid in their own way but I want to add to the collection a bit and begin to look beyond the budget level.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

There was a tobacco my grandfather and uncle smoked, that I loved the smell of when I was younger. St brno. (I think)

My uncle tells me it cant be got anymore. Dunno if that means its not made or its not in ireland anymore, I cant remember.

Is it possible the tobacco you are looking for is still available? Then again if you don't know the name how could you find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There was a tobacco my grandfather and uncle smoked, that I loved the smell of when I was younger. St brno. (I think)

My uncle tells me it cant be got anymore. Dunno if that means its not made or its not in ireland anymore, I cant remember.

Is it possible the tobacco you are looking for is still available? Then again if you don't know the name how could you find out!

Perhaps you mean St. Bruno? I think it can be still ordered, if not got in ordinary shops. I'd be confident that this tobacco is available somewhere. It was really prevelent back in the day, I remember being in pubs as a kid and you'd just know that smell straightaway. It can't have been some esoteric blend because every oul lad seemed to be smoking it. Wish I could be more specific, but thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rodserling

That sounds like a balkan blend. You are smelling the turkish tobacco element. Petersons Old Dublin would be the closest readily availiable in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mellow Virginia and Mick McQuaid would have been popular brands back then

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Might be Condor as it was very popular back in the day. AFIK you can purchase it in 25gms bars from most tobacconists. Both my granddads smoked the bar/plug form and I recall it had a very distinctive smell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Condor gave off a good aroma, but I found it a terrible smoke: very dirty and tarry.

Other brands that seem to have disappeared: Erinmore and Maltan. One of the "superior" brands when I was a young fella was Three Nuns, usually sold in a tin in the form of slices from a rope coil - little discs about the size of a 2C coin. Its name let to the oft-repeated joke that it was the tobacco supplied to prisoners: nun yesterday, nun today, and nun tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

I've got a tin of three nuns in the cellar, must crack it open and see what it's like

Was in Edinburgh there over weekend. Picked up some petersons luxury mix and sunset breeze, £11 each. A pouch for pipe and tobacco for £10. And a churchwarden for a friend. All from the pipe shop on leith walk. (Window full of bongs and grinders etc, and everyone else was buying papers for rolling)

Anyway, today I picked up a Petersons Tara bulldog pipe. Got home and put some sunset breeze into it. My god, the difference in the smoke. Cooler, smoother, and I could taste the ingredients in the mix. I genuinely didnt think the plip and system would make such a difference.

Looking forward to the next smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bassplayer3

Hi fellas,

I have been following This forum for a few months now and have only the on question. What are the best pipe related (in terms of retail). In Ireland or Europe

Thank you kindly
    Gavin

• Advertisement

Are you looking for a pipe or tobacco, and is it to be cost effective or is it quality you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bassplayer3

Are you looking for a pipe or tobacco, and is it to be cost effective or is it quality you are looking for?

I'm looking for both really, quality is a preference
    Thanks
    Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

To a large extent, it's down to personal taste, with the caveat that most very cheap pipes will not be to the taste of experienced pipe smokers. My default choice is a Peterson's Standard System briar, but a few other pipes get into the rotation.

If you are to be a regular pipe smoker, you will want more than one pipe. Typically, I use a pipe for a day, then put it away for several days to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hallopino

Does anyone know where i can get a cheap pipe as im a student and the most i can afford is 20-30euro. Thanks

Does anyone live in the Wicklow area who is willing to sell a beginner pipe smoker a pipe!

hallopino wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can get a cheap pipe as im a student and the most i can afford is 20-30euro. Thanks

My first pipe was a Fox's Tally Ho. Got it as a box set with a tin of tonacco, smokers companion tool, cleaners and matches. €55. From Fox's.

The pipe alone is 35ish I believe, and sure a tin of tobacco is 19, so that was the most cost effective starting point I found. Check them out on line, see what you think.
    Remember the pipe will last years if looked after right so after buying it your outlay will be mainly on tobacco.

Also, they'll deliver I believe so check that too

thanks i saw that pack earlier think ill just go for that. also what do people think of whiskey tobacco?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'm interested in smoking a pipe. I have a pipe, it's not a great one, but it will do until I decide if I like pipe smoking. Do regular shops ever stock any brands of pipe tobacco? I'm talking the likes of Centra and Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Do regular shops ever stock any brands of pipe tobacco? I'm talking the likes of Centra and Spar.
    Unfortunately not, or nothing worth putting into your pipe.

I can occasionally get this tobacco in my local petrol station, but I mainly get all my tobaccos abroad when I am away on holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Very stoopid w here. Is pipe smoking just as damaging as cigarette smoking - from a health point if view ?

May seem stupid but it's a genuine question

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's just unhealthy in a slightly different way to cigarette smoking.

Bear in mind this forum is for discussing the positives of smoking, not the ways in which it's bad for you.

I'm interested in smoking a pipe. I have a pipe, it's not a great one, but it will do until I decide if I like pipe smoking. Do regular shops ever stock any brands of pipe tobacco? I'm talking the likes of Centra and Spar.

Ive never seen anything for pipes in any local shops. I worked in a shop for a few years too, and we never had anything either.
    I am a bit spoiled for choice as college green with petersons and foxs is about a 3 min walk from work!
    I know that they sell and deliver online, a friend down the country does this from time to time.
    Incidentally, does anyone know of any place else to get pipe tobacco?

Just a side note- im sitting in my garden in some shade, smoking petersons irish flake. What a lovely day!!

smoking petersons irish flake. What a lovely day!!

Lovely - a nice 'mild' tobacco :pac:

I was presented with a Petersons Killarney red 69 bent pipe, fishtail mouthpiece, over the weekend as a gift.

I've only gotten three smokes of it so far, breaking it in nice and easy but so far I have to say its the nicest pipe I have. Sits nicely balanced in the mouth, smoking cool. Now to pick another pipe!!

I have a straight Killarney (106 I think), it's a fine pipe to smoke but for some odd reason it seems to get very hot in my hand. I was putting it down to that red finish on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rodserling

Is there a pipe club anywhere around Dublin? Or, if not, is anybody interested in forming one? For a place famous for pipes there doesn't seem to be many pipe smokers about. Maybe I should move to u-tube land!

I have a straight Killarney (106 I think), it's a fine pipe to smoke but for some odd reason it seems to get very hot in my hand. I was putting it down to that red finish on them.

Funny that, it was one thing that I noticed. It got hot in my hand. I was putting it down to the first few smokes to break it in but maybe it is the finish.

I thought the same when I got mine new, smokes fine though but still hot to touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Shadooby

Hi folks,

I have always been a fan of Pipe smoking and have wanted to try it for a long time.
    I feel a bit stupid asking this question.
    Recently, my mother got me a Pipe as a birthday gift but it doesnt look like a real pipe although I have never really handled a pipe before so I wouldnt really know if it was real or not.
    Basically it feels too plasticy, the chamber has draught holes like a normal pipe I would assume but the package it came in was just a rectangular flimsy box. Is this an actual pipe I can use to smoke or not?

I've attached a picture

Advertisement