Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rodserling

That looks very much like a chinese made pipe. A 'real' pipe wouldn't have draught holes in the chamber. If you'd like to try pipe smoking have a look at some youtube videos on the subject. An estate briar pipe can start as low as 10 euro or so on ebay. All you need is a light aromatic tobacco and a box of matches and you're on your way. Peterson's or Fox's sell those.
    The best way to go would be to join a pipe club but there don't seem to be any in Dublin. It's important to have a pleasant experience the first couple of times you try the hobby, both in packing and lighting the pipe correctly. Don't inhale! Again, youtube have some good tutorials on this.
    Thank your mother and quietly put that pipe in a drawer. It looks like a thoughtful present. Hope these few lines are of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Shadooby

Cheers rodserling,

Yeah I have looked online at guides on how to fill the pipe and smoke it, have been on Peteson and Fox website too looking at their tobacco and pipes, seen some flavours I would love to try and some pipes I would love to buy as a collection to show off rather than smoke.
    I probably owe my curiosity to my grandad as my earliest memory of him is him smoking his pipe. He would buy me those toy pipes that you blew bubbles out of so we could "smoke" togethe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rodserling

There's a nice path to steer between being a collector and a smoker. There are many who have their 'working' pipes and their 'special occasion' ones, and ones that they don't smoke at all! Then there are the many hundreds of different tobaccos. Some, again just smoke a few and stick to them, myself, I'm always trying new ones and even blending some myself. This hobby can be a frugal one or, if you like your Dunhills and Castellos ...
    My Grandad smoked and mayhaps so will my grandkids. so it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Guys,

First post here, but a 40year pipe smoker.

Question is, anyone recommend a shop in North Co Dublin that stocks pipe cleaners.

I visited all my locals last year but no luck, then on Holidays in Kenmare, I went into a small shop,

Well you would not believe it, they were rummage round in the attic, and found a box of Pipe Cleaners, probably bought in the 70's, so I bought the lot.

Other than that, the Airport in. Zurich, has a tobacconist, which sells Cleaners.
    I have a Son in Switzerland.

No Garage, Supervalue, or Costcutters in my area stock them

Any suggestions, or better still an on-line shop.

Happy Smoking and cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Peterson sells them online, though if you're in Dublin it's handier just to go in to the shop on Nassau Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

BeerNut wrote: »
    Peterson sells them online, though if you're in Dublin it's handier just to go in to the shop on Nassau Street.

Thanks for that.

I haven't been into Dublin City for years, I live in the North Co. and work in Co. Meath, it's safe to say I haven't been south of the M50 in a long time.

So anyone know of a shop, who stock Pipe Cleaners?

Other than that I will order on-line as suggested

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Boeavatu

I got my first gentleman pipe a couple of weeks ago. My only complaint is the bowl is too narrow to fit my index finger in. I don't have this problem with my legends..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RebornBriar

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and came across this post. I am from Belfast and have been a pipe smoker for many years now.

My favourite pipes to smoke are English classic shape pipes from companies such as GBD, Comoy and Dunhill etc. Although a few I have a few Petersons which I smoke regularly. I only really smoke Virginias with my favourite being Opening Night.

Are there many other pipe smokers up North?

Reborn

Welcome to the Smoking Forum, RebornBriar. Please don't use it to advertise your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RebornBriar

Apologies I have edited my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sam Gawith

Hi all,

Pipe cleaners north co. Dublin. They sell them at the gala on the road from Ratoath to Ashbourne, Its co. Meath but close enough.

Also if your in that area the Supervalue in Ashbourne has a reasonable stock of pipe tobacco (Maltan, Velvan plug, mick McQuaid).

Hope this helps Martin123.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's been a long time since someone uploaded anything to this forum so I thought I'd contribute.

Been a pipe smoker for 4 years now (29 years old now), I couldn't say how I got into it? Maybe it was just observing many old men smoking them that intrigued me... that's really the best I can come up with! Neither my dad or grandfather smoked pipes :confused::confused:

Started with a Peterson's straight Briar pipe and have bought 3 since with my 4th this christmas. I generally buy one each year to slowly build up my collection, which reminds me I need to buy another pipe rack!

I love to smoke flavoured tobacco whether it's cherry, Vanilla, Whiskey etc... I know alot of experienced Pipe Smokers avoid these but I likes what I likes!

I never buy my tobacco here as it's too bloody expensive so I buy it in Spain and the USA. For a 50g pouch it's only €4.90 in Spain and something like $8-$9 in the states. Compare that to €20 in Ireland and you can see why! So I just stock up when I'm away about twice a year.

In all my time smoking pipes I think I only saw one other person smoking one which led me to believe that we must be a dying breed or something. Also you seem to get funny looks from people as if to say we are commiting a crime or something but to hell with them!

I have got some positive comments like " The pipe smell is lovely or it reminds them of their Grandad :eek: but hey that can be expected I suppose!

Here's two pics of my Pipes and Tobacco anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I've been fascinated by pipe smoking for ages and have been thinking of taking up the hobby.

The only thing that's stopping me is I'm not that regular of a smoker. I smoke the very occasional cigar/cigarillo and don't go near cigarettes.

Maybe no one will be able to answer this but would a pipe be overwhelming for a novice smoker? :confused:

Nope. I don't smoke anything else either. Most pipe smokers don't even inhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

I was only thinking over the weekend that this was gone a bit quiet!
    That's an interesting variety of tobacco there to be sure. I do like the flavoured or aromatic type myself.
    I've just had a few smokes of petersons irish oak, and find it quite nice. Not as nice in my opinion as some of the aromatics but still a good smoke.
    I got the tin off a friend after i gave him petersons irish whiskey, which i found was actually hurting my throat every time i smoked it. (Like a bad aftertaste)
    Incidentally he also gave me a mr brog pipe, which seems to be breaking in nicely. I am pleasantly surprised with it given its price.

For the possible pipe smoker, i smoked cigarettes for years and stopped. I smoked the occasional cigar and just over a year ago started with pipe smoking. It wasn't overpowering or anything like it, the first few smokes were a bit awkwardly put together but i learned how to pack the pipe better and enjoy the occasional pipe smoke now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Incidentally he also gave me a mr brog pipe, which seems to be breaking in nicely. I am pleasantly surprised with it given its price.
    I have two Mr Brógs. A No 36 Perry and a Vinewood No 28. They are very nice to smoke and cheap :).

Yeah this one certainly has made me look at them (mr brog) and they seem to be excellent value amd interesting designs.
    I shall invest myself i believe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

How much are we talking fir a new pipe for a novice?

My first was a foxs tally ho, it came as part of a kit. Pipe, cleaners, smokers companion tool, foxs aromatic tobacco and matches. Think it was 55euro, which is good value to get all you need for starting out.

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I've been fascinated by pipe smoking for ages and have been thinking of taking up the hobby.

The only thing that's stopping me is I'm not that regular of a smoker. I smoke the very occasional cigar/cigarillo and don't go near cigarettes.

Maybe no one will be able to answer this but would a pipe be overwhelming for a novice smoker? :confused:

Not at all! The hardest part is figuring out how to pack and light the pipe correctly. It's hit and miss with regards to choosing the tobacco you like though.

Alot of pipe smokers swear by Captain Blacks but I can't stand the stuff personally. But the joy of pipe smoking is the vast range of tobaccos available.

• Advertisement

idnkph wrote: »
    How much are we talking fir a new pipe for a novice?

Buy a corncob pipe, they're only 10 quid in petersons. They're only a temporary pipe but the advantages are great, they're cheap, don't have to be broken in and allow you to decide for yourself if pipe smoking is for you without breaking the bank.

If u get one let me know. I'll give you some tobacco to get you started.

Does anyone know if Savinelli pipes are a good smoke? The reason I ask is I've always bought Peterson's and I'll be buying my new pipe before christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I only tried one Savinelli and wasn't mad about it but that could have been because it was one of those 9mm filter types and was a bit bigger than I usually like.

I like Stanwell pipes, my modest rotation consists of only Peterson and Stanwell

Seven Worlds will Collide

I only tried one Savinelli and wasn't mad about it but that could have been because it was one of those 9mm filter types and was a bit bigger than I usually like.

I like Stanwell pipes, my modest rotation consists of only Peterson and Stanwell

Stanwell? I'll look for a few on flea bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnno1970

Hello everyone,
    First time posting here, just wanted to say hello. I'm new to the pipe scene, after 27 years a cigarette smoker. I quit that habit in February this year, and have been on e-cigs ever since. Anyway after 10 months of suffering with mouth ulcers as a result of giving up smoking I came to the conclusion that I need tobacco smoke in order to have a life without these hellish mouth ulcers. So it was either go back to cigarettes or try a healthier(perhaps) alternative of pipe smoking. I chose the pipe. I went to my local tobacconist and picked up a Molina pipe, 25gr of Condor, a bag of pipe cleaners and a pipe tool all for €40. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with my first effort. I was also surprised at how long a bowl of tobacco lasted, 50 minutes or so. I don't intend to use it more than once a day, will stick with the e-cigs as well if I can, but really enjoyed a relaxing puff with the pipe. Looking forward to trying some more tobacco blends in the future!

Welcome, johonno! Exploring different blends is my favourite thing about being a pipe smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnno1970

Thanks for the welcome beernut! Now if you were me starting out again, what blend would you go for next? Knowing what you know now of course. I do like the Condor if that would be a guide.

D'y'know I've never smoked Condor. But I do like Peterson's De Luxe Blend as an everyday, accessible tobacco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Advertisement