Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnno1970

So, got some Petersons Connoisseurs choice in the post the other day after reading some very good reviews on it. I have to say I am disappointed though. Not getting any flavours coming through whatsoever. Anyone else have the same experience with this tobacco?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

johnno1970 wrote: »
    So, got some Petersons Connoisseurs choice in the post the other day after reading some very good reviews on it. I have to say I am disappointed though. Not getting any flavours coming through whatsoever. Anyone else have the same experience with this tobacco?

Never tried that blend but tbh I'm not a big lover of Peterson blends. Either the taste is too strong, burns to fast or the dreaded tongue bite. Have some Peterson Whiskey if you want to try it, I found it to be a little too strong.

I find Dunhil to be far superior for the same money. I'm going to purchase some Nightcap over the weekend as I heard some good reviews. I'll let you know.h

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

I had some petersons connoisseurs choice early last year.
    I'd have to say i was looking forward to it, it was listed as their best seller the previous year and the description of aroma/flavours appealed to me.

However after a few smokes of it i was in the same position as yourself, i just wasn't finding it as i thought i would, and overall i felt it was a let down in terms of aroma/flavour.

Strange because I've liked most other petersons I've tried, bar the whiskey one, i found it a bit strong for me.

Ever think of trying some Aromatic blends? Alot of pipe smokers hate them but I love them tbh. Cherry Cavendish is one of my personal favourites.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Ever think of trying some Aromatic blends? Alot of pipe smokers hate them but I love them tbh. Cherry Cavendish is one of my personal favourites.

Love aromatics.
    Ive yet to buy the same tin twice as I'm still trying to sample as much as i can, money permitting!
    So far i have to say i would buy sunset breeze and luxury blend/mix again, i liked those two. Particularly sunset breeze.

• Advertisement

If you're ever in Spain/Portugal you should look out for Borkum Riff Tobacco. They do a large range of aromatics plus it's only like 5 quid for 50g!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

I'm finding it difficult to buy my favourite fuel - Mick McQuaid - in Rathfarnham/Templeogue area. Any advice appreciated.

garancafan wrote: »
    I'm finding it difficult to buy my favourite fuel - Mick McQuaid - in Rathfarnham/Templeogue area. Any advice appreciated.

JJ foxes in College Green stock the stuff. You can order online if that suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 U5ername

Hello gents. I'm new here and not even new to pipe smoking yet.
    I'm in my forties and all of a sudden want to trade in my roll-up cigarettes for a gentleman's pipe.
    I'm in Co. Wexford (Enniscorthy) and haven't a clue where to get hold of my first pipe.
    Any suggestions?
    I don't drive by the way. I regularly get taken into Enniscorthy & sometimes Wexford town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You can order online, from Peterson's for example, if you can't find a bricks-and-mortar option.

• Advertisement

Yeah, looked at that. 70 e + is not what I had in mind. I was thinking of a cheap beginners pipe hopefully with stand / tamper etc.
    I see a real cheap kit like that on e-bay but the pipe looks bad.
    Whatever I go for, looks like I'll have to mail order.

http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=209_232&products_id=1571

What i started with. Pipe good quality, and comes with all you need to start.

Thanks guys. I found a shop in Enniscorthy with pipes!
    Delaney's newsagents have a dozen or so. I went with a Peterson's that was 34e (cheapest there - 6 styles at that price).
    Obviously only just starting to learn / practice.
    I've found myself just holding it up but mostly unlit - it somehow feels natural to me.
    Filling it to burn nicely is not so natural yet. I'll get there. You-tube's on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

U5ername wrote: »
    Delaney's newsagents have a dozen or so. I went with a Peterson's that was 34e (cheapest there - 6 styles at that price).
    Are there any pipe tobacco for sale in that shop?

Yes, but don't ask me what. As a first timer I went for the best selling which was mellow virginia.
    He had some pouched tobaccos. None of those special looking tins, or not that I saw anyway.
    Many may sniff at mellow virginia but it IS the aroma I associated with pipes from childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Obviously only just starting to learn / practice.
    I've found myself just holding it up but mostly unlit - it somehow feels natural to me.
    Filling it to burn nicely is not so natural yet. I'll get there. You-tube's on the case.
    It's probably a second. Were the pipes mounted on a small board with the Peterson name across the top? Nothing too much wrong with Peterson seconds.

In general, I find that new pipes don't work at their best until you have smoked a few bowls. So hang in there.

Yes, but don't ask me what. As a first timer I went for the best selling which was mellow virginia....
    It's the best seller for a reason: a lot of people like it!

It's probably a second. Were the pipes mounted on a small board with the Peterson name across the top? Nothing too much wrong with Peterson seconds.

In general, I find that new pipes don't work at their best until you have smoked a few bowls. So hang in there.

Yes. Mounted on a 'Peterson' board. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Of course I'll hang in there.

Quick question - every pipe smoker seems to know what type/style their pipe is.
    I don't. Looks just like this one if anyone can help.
    Okay as a new user I can't link a photo so here it is broken up:

https: (delete this) //rebornpipes.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/yb20 (delete this) .jpg

Here it is unbroken: https://rebornpipes.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/yb20.jpg

This is the nearest Peterson equivalent I can find (on a quick trawl): http://www.peterson.ie/p/5328/kildare-87 In all probability, if it is a second, the stem will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tiffin3665

Recently started on the pipe. Anyone any idea if Mac Baren is available in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Im heading away in the morning for a few days amd will be flying.

I'm just wondering can my penknife be in my pouch or would that cause trouble at the airport?

I could make do with just the smokers companion and cleaners for the few days, it's just i will only bring one pipe and the penknife is handy i find for cleaning proper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If I'm going handluggage-only I clean when I get home. I wouldn't bring a companion, let alone a penknife.

Yeah ive just packed the pipe and tobacco now.
    I flew home from Edinburgh last year with a companion no problems at all.

I'm gonna bring the companion, leave the penknife at home!
    Worst case scenario I'll be told to throw the companion in the bin, bearing in mind it's in a pouch with pipe, cleaners and tobacco.

Yeah ive just packed the pipe and tobacco now.
    I flew home from Edinburgh last year with a companion no problems at all.

I'm gonna bring the companion, leave the penknife at home!
    Worst case scenario I'll be told to throw the companion in the bin, bearing in mind it's in a pouch with pipe, cleaners and tobacco.
    My "good" companion has a proper knife blade. I never take it on a flight except in a checked bag. I fly with one of the cheaper ones with a spoon-like bowl cleaner. Never had a problem with security.

Thanks for the advice gents.
    As it happened aer lingus took our carry on luggage with the checked luggage for free so i had no bags going through the security.

I'll see how it goes when I'm coming home.

I'll see how it goes when I'm coming home.
    And if you don't report back, we will infer that you are being held in a secure facility somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Al_An

Hello dear pipe smokers,
    I'm very happy to be able to join you.
    I started over 10 years ago while I was still a teenager. Although it was rather occasional pipe smoking- mere curiosity and off-beat fascination at first it developed into more of a hobby sort of thing (despite the fact my smoking was still on on-and-off basis).

Now I know a bit more about the art of smoking pipes and it's all thanks to people like you- who shares your knowledge and experience on the Internet. Thank you to you all.

I've got two Peterson's pipes so far: straight Killarney (the post about heating problem with that pipe was most helpful) and one bent system. Also some broken ones and lost ones behind me from years when I knew next to nothing about pipes.

I am looking forward to learn more from you, and maybe contribute sharing what I have learned and experienced. But most of all I am looking forward to all those great bowls yet to come.

Good evening.

And if you don't report back, we will infer that you are being held in a secure facility somewhere.

I can report back...again aer lingus took the hand luggage with the checked bag, free of charge at check in. So i learnt nothing about whether the smokers companion is ok or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lexicious

Hey pipers.

I'm pretty new to the forum and only been smoking a pipe for little over a year (barely touched them the past couple of weeks though)

I look forward to chatting to you folk about briar and baccys.

Happy Smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rodserling

Hi Guys, I'm up in Blackrock in south Dublin. If ever you want to have a smoke give me a call. I've been smoking pipes for quite a while. Let's get a community going here.
    Believe me there's no great mystery to achieving or buying a blend you want.
    Regards to you all . Can't post my address. Is it any wonder the Irish pipe people can't get together? Please reply.
    No youtube videos yet but they'll come.
    Happy Smoking, Ian.

Advertisement