Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Al_An

Hi rodesling,
    Nice idea- never knew anyone (personally) who smokes pipe and thought it would be nice change from smoking on your own. Maybe when my schedule permits I will give you a shout.

And happy smoking Ian

Decided to give a try to petersons university flake- will try it tonight. Heard positive things about it.

Question to the community here,
    Did anyone ever try shopping tobacco online? Can you recommend a good online shop?
    Thing is I'm off cigarettes (well rallies) piping full time now and the prices of pipe tobacco are killing me. Not planning on travelling anytime soon so thought maybe Internet shopping can help out.

Thanks a lot everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

No offence but pipe smokers smell like ****, how you could breath it in I will never know

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No offence but pipe smokers smell like ****, how you could breath it in I will never know
    It's hard enough for smokers to find a safe space to talk about what they enjoy without this kind of thing. Consider this a warning, wallywhittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lexicious

Al_An wrote: »
    Question to the community here,
    Did anyone ever try shopping tobacco online? Can you recommend a good online shop?
    Thing is I'm off cigarettes (well rallies) piping full time now and the prices of pipe tobacco are killing me. Not planning on travelling anytime soon so thought maybe Internet shopping can help out.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I'm in the UK so use Gauntleys most of the time.

I just checked and they ship to Ireland wish price based on weight.

Just did a test basket and shipping half a kilo of baccy to Ireland would cost 13.64 GBP which is 18.82 Euro.

I'd say that's pretty good, would probably cost less then that as you'll most likely order less then half a kilo as that's a hell of a lot of baccy.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Advertisement

Lexicious wrote: »
    I'm in the UK so use Gauntleys most of the time.

I just checked and they ship to Ireland wish price based on weight.

Just did a test basket and shipping half a kilo of baccy to Ireland would cost 13.64 GBP which is 18.82 Euro.

I'd say that's pretty good, would probably cost less then that as you'll most likely order less then half a kilo as that's a hell of a lot of baccy.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks a lot for this, and all the trouble for finding things out for me. Really appreciate this.
    I must say you are spoiled for choice there- really good shop, but holly ***@!€& the prices! I know quality costs, but it's not something I couldn't afford to smoke everyday.
    I will keep looking for more affordable solution.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

rodserling wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm up in Blackrock in south Dublin. If ever you want to have a smoke give me a call. I've been smoking pipes for quite a while. Let's get a community going here.
    Believe me there's no great mystery to achieving or buying a blend you want.
    Regards to you all . Can't post my address. Is it any wonder the Irish pipe people can't get together? Please reply.
    No youtube videos yet but they'll come.
    Happy Smoking, Ian.

Sure I'll have a smoke with you! I have a tin of peterson whiskey that you more than welcome too. Way to strong for my liking.

I'm thinking of experimenting with my tobacco and infusing it. Sometimes I would like a hint of extra flavour. Would you have any tips from your own experience?
    I read somewhere you can use essential oils. I wonder if a hint of lavender for an evening relaxation after work would be a good idea.

On the other note. I recently tried the new ready rubbed Peterson tobacco. Green pouch. I was rather dissapointed. Dry like hay, very little flavour. Not sure if you had similar experience with this tobacco.

I'm thinking of experimenting with my tobacco and infusing it. Sometimes I would like a hint of extra flavour. Would you have any tips from your own experience?
    I read somewhere you can use essential oils. I wonder if a hint of lavender for an evening relaxation after work would be a good idea.

On the other note. I recently tried the new ready rubbed Peterson tobacco. Green pouch. I was rather dissapointed. Dry like hay, very little flavour. Not sure if you had similar experience with this tobacco.

Haven't tried it myself but looks interesting. Im sure there's plenty of examples on Youtube and Pipe forums. Im not the biggest fan of Peterson tobacco to be honest. Find it either too strong, lacking flavour or burns too quickley.

I love Captain Black 'Red Sun'. It's full of flavour, nice and sweet and is a lovely smoke to have In the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I love Captain Black 'Red Sun'. It's full of flavour, nice and sweet and is a lovely smoke to have In the evening.
    Where you can buy Captain Black in this country?

• Advertisement

Haven't tried it myself but looks interesting. Im sure there's plenty of examples on Youtube and Pipe forums. Im not the biggest fan of Peterson tobacco to be honest. Find it either too strong, lacking flavour or burns too quickley.

Thanks. There are some videos but about alcohol flavouring mostly. I suppose part of experimenting is not knowing exactly how to go about things and discover while you go ;) if interested will keep you posted. I can only hope I'm not going to create some sort of tobacco poison.

It's reassuring to hear other people find petersons tobacco lacking. Although I honestly have to say I enjoyed university flake a lot- despite its gentleness flavour wasn't shy. Great evening smoke. 3p's I think has potential once I re moisture it.

Anyway I'm always on the lookout for quality tobacco so thanks for your tip on captain black. Will out it on my wishlist.

All the best.

Seweryn wrote: »

And I would like to know that. Do you order online?

Seweryn wrote: »
    And I would like to know that. Do you order online?

Yeah guys I order online. I've been so lucky because I have received all my orders without customs getting their greasy mits on it. Most of my orders work out at around €60 yet if I were to buy similar her I'd be looking at €300!

Thanks. There are some videos but about alcohol flavouring mostly. I suppose part of experimenting is not knowing exactly how to go about things and discover while you go ;) if interested will keep you posted. I can only hope I'm not going to create some sort of tobacco poison.

It's reassuring to hear other people find petersons tobacco lacking. Although I honestly have to say I enjoyed university flake a lot- despite its gentleness flavour wasn't shy. Great evening smoke. 3p's I think has potential once I re moisture it.

Anyway I'm always on the lookout for quality tobacco so thanks for your tip on captain black. Will out it on my wishlist.

All the best.

If you want I can give you some of mine (No charge). I'm on my last tin of Red Sun but can give you enough for 2 bowls so you can try it yourself. It's a lovely flavour plus no tongue bite.

I've already ordered more so it's no bother.

Yeah guys I order online. I've been so lucky because I have received all my orders without customs getting their greasy mits on it. Most of my orders work out at around €60 yet if I were to buy similar her I'd be looking at €300!

I ordered online once so far -from Germany, and it came through nicely, but only recently I was expecting a present for Easter. 4 tins of different blends. Was really looking forward. I received the box with security tape all over. Pr*** left only empty plastic bag in which the tins were. Nor they left note stating what they have confiscated.

If you want I can give you some of mine (No charge). I'm on my last tin of Red Sun but can give you enough for 2 bowls so you can try it yourself. It's a lovely flavour plus no tongue bite.

I've already ordered more so it's no bother.

Wow that's very nice of you. I would be delighted to try it out- of course if you are sure it's no bother. Maybe at least you would like to wait until you receive your order. Just in case something goes wrong with the postage. I wouldn't like to be who deprived you from last two bowls of your fav tobacco.

Wow that's very nice of you. I would be delighted to try it out- of course if you are sure it's no bother. Maybe at least you would like to wait until you receive your order. Just in case something goes wrong with the postage. I wouldn't like to be who deprived you from last two bowls of your fav tobacco.

it's fine. I have tons of pipe tobacco. Pm your address and I'll post you some.

Just seen this on the Jamesfox website.....Looks interesting??

http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=301&products_id=2531

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just seen this on the Jamesfox website.....Looks interesting??

http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=301&products_id=2531
    Especially the delicious canopies!

Is anyone here going on Wednesday night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Anyone at the night in dublin there and if so how is it so far?
    Cant make it due to a variety of reasons, one being that i used up my pass on a brewery tour last week!

Nah I didn't make it either. Did anyone go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Sorry to read that few people made it.

It was the wrong side of the country for me so I was never going to get there.

I gave up the pipe about 10 or so years ago for health reasons but I still get a sort of vicarious pleasure from reading and hearing about them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Hi all, first time poster so please excuse the ignorance. I was talking about buying a pipe for the last couple of years cos I'm smoking rollys to beat the band and my wife (kids) bought me one for fathers day. It's a petersen fisherman, and I'm a bit lost as to how to start

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Put tobacco into it and set it on fire :)

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi all, first time poster so please excuse the ignorance. I was talking about buying a pipe for the last couple of years cos I'm smoking rollys to beat the band and my wife (kids) bought me one for fathers day. It's a petersen fisherman, and I'm a bit lost as to how to start

Hi and welcome longranger.
    Let me say it's a good thing you are doing.
    Indeed the beginning can be intimidating. You probably know already that some people take pipe smoking as art and they have crazy amount of rules and techniques.
    But also smoking pipe can be as simple as stuffing it and puffing.

There are lots of sources on the Internet of good info about how to start smoking pipe. I remember there is this one place pipedia (yeah I know wired name) they had a good manual covering all the basics.

I wont give you tips on how to smoke, because there are probably much better people at it here, there are many articles written on it by great pipe smokers and also because you have to find what works for you- most important is that you will enjoy the smoke.

Also let me tell you that I used to smoke rollies too- and I was pretty heavy smoker. I managed to go off them completely several months ago and I smoke only pipe now. I feel so much better now. All the cigarette related **** was going on with me is gone.

Transition can be difficult though. For a while you will miss that hit of nicotine when inhaling the cigarette smoke- but it is only a matter of few weeks- each bowl of tobacco has more nicotine than many cigarettes.

I used to mess up something while smoking pipe a lot at the beginning. I either packed the pipe to tight or smoked it too hot, air hole would get stuck or moist would flow like from a tap. If you are cigarette smoker and you feel you need to smoke now and the pipe just refuse to work with you... that gave me some hard time -I would often go nuts. But it does gets easier with time and practice makes perfect.

If you want to leave rollies all together though I suggest you need extra pipes. If you can buy yourself cheap ones so you can carry them in the pocket smoke the crap out of them if you have to and if it breaks you will be glad it's not your Peterson you got as present. Keep the special pipe for special moments like evening relaxation or nightcap.

Seriously practice it. Read about it buy good tobacco get past the first week or so of bad tongue bite (in my case the stinging sensation in my mouth was pretty intense) and you will find what a real pleasure smoking tobacco is.

Last thing- it's very personal- but I smoked about 6-7 pipes a day first I went off rollies. With the price tag of 20 quid for a small tin here in Ireland it is a strain. Search online and stock up.

all the best and keep us posted how u are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 U5ername

Well I can't beat that answer.
    I'm also pretty new to it and still smoke the rollies too.
    I used you-tube for tips. As you'd expect there's good and bad tips there, but either way it helped me.

U5ername wrote: »
    Well I can't beat that answer.
    I'm also pretty new to it and still smoke the rollies too.
    I used you-tube for tips. As you'd expect there's good and bad tips there, but either way it helped me.

True-YouTube vids helped me too. Easier when you can see the thing been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

You tube was the way for me too. The ones i watched were actually from James Fox. Type in James Fox Pipe Video, and there are 4 or 5 of them, from choosing a pipe, choosing tobacco, how to fill and smokes etc.

Great to see someone do it so it was easier to try it yourself then

• Advertisement

Guys I have a tin of petersons whiskey if anyone wants it. Smoked maybe 2 bowls of it but it's not my cup of tea.

Rather give it to someone than leave it in the draw.

Advertisement