Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cravings

• 11-11-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I'm trying to eat better and loose weight unfortunately I've a sweet tooth and craving for crisps. I do eat fruit and veg
    Is there anything I can eat, do or take to stop both as I won't loose the weight otherwise thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

When I started to lose weight, I cut out the sugary treats and crisps gradually. I was seriously bad for them. I would go into the shop on the way home from work and within the next hour I'd have a share size bag of sweets and massive tub of pringles or something similar gone.

The reality is you're trying to eat better, but in my humble opinion, you'll be more likely to succeed by cutting these out gradually rather than cold turkey. I know when I tried to do it cold turkey I ended up binging then.

The cravings will be tough, I won't lie, but it's worth it in the end. You're taste buds will change gradually and while I still have a serious sweet tooth I don't actually eat crisps anymore. Can't remember the last time I had crisps. My sweet tooth is usually satiated now by things like peanut butter, small amounts of fruit, yoghurt sweetened with some natural sweetener the odd time...

In terms of trying to bring about these changes make sure you're eating plenty of filling foods- a full tummy will make you less likely to crave those sweet/salty things. Eat plenty of foods high in protein and fibre as these will keep you full for a longer time. Eat less white carbs as they give you a sugar high/carb high that when you come down from, you'll end up craving the sweet things to get your energy levels back up. So stick to wholegrain carbs when you can.

Worst comes to worst the little tricks I used to use (and still do when needs be!) were to brush my teeth as the minty taste helps to stop cravings or chew a piece of sugar free gum.
    Another helpful thing is a small tub of sugar free jelly which is really sweet and might kill that sweet craving after dinner without wrecking your diet.

Most of all, don't panic about trying to make all these changes at once. I'm three years trying to eat better and I'm really only getting my head around it now and I do feel better for it health wise. Even when I got to my goal weight I was still eating a hell of a lot of sugar and it made it really difficult to maintain. If I knew then what I know now...!

Best of luck, as I said, it's worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hi OP.

My advice to you would be that you shouldn't just completely cut these things out. This is how and why a lot of people fail when they try to lose weight. In my opinion there is no point torturing yourself if it's long term goals you want to acheive. The best way to lose weight IMO is to change your habits gradually as the poster above said.

I've lost just under 3 stone so far and at no point have I stopped eating crisps and stuff. I just eat in moderation and don't eat as many crisps as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Aw thanks for replies il try my best
    I might stick to dark chocolate and see

• Site Banned Posts: 39 Mr Clamp

cazzak79 wrote: »
    I'm trying to eat better and loose weight unfortunately I've a sweet tooth and craving for crisps. I do eat fruit and veg
    Is there anything I can eat, do or take to stop both as I won't loose the weight otherwise thanks
    Don't be a lazy fattie. Motivate yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

See you in a week. Pointless reply looking to bait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I managed to cut out junk food from my regular diet but only over a long period of time, and I still allow myself treats every so often. It takes a while to get over cravings at first, but as doctorwhogirl suggested, you can have low sugar alternatives. Sugarfree jelly isn't to everybody's taste, but I actually buy a few little pots of it every week. It's good to have in the fridge when I'm pms-ing, because I find for about a week before my period my body still craves some sort of comfort food.

Dark chocolate is also something I'd go for too, and I much prefer it to milk chocolate. I go for the 85 or 90% dark choc, so it's heavier and a bit tart, meaning I usually only have a few squares at a time.

Maybe try to replace the crisps with popcorn too. Keep these alternatives in your house, and when you feel a craving you'll have them to hand. Also you could set yourself a day of the week to allow yourself a treat if that works, something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Thanks for replies I'm doing ok so far so il try keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Raisins. I always had a bag of the mini californian raisin packets around, or one of the bigger bags of sultanas. Any time I got a craving, I popped a handful into my mouth and was sorted. But when I started doing this, well, I visited the toilet a lot more often.

It's still sugar being consumed, but IMO its the lesser of two evils and makes the transition easier.

Advertisement