Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Thanks, my friend is on her way to pick me up. Probably is a false alarm but baby is number one and need to get her checked.

Let us know how you get on xx

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bundaberg

Thanks, my friend is on her way to pick me up. Probably is a false alarm but baby is number one and need to get her checked.

Hoping all will be ok for you, better for peace of mind just to get checked and have the once over for you & baby. X

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bundaberg

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Went for my appointment, baby is doing well thank goodness. But the registrar was absolutely clueless. She was more worried about getting through people than actually dealing with those in front of her.

She argued with me about my reason for getting a section and dismissed the low placenta completely. I had to tell her what the consultant said, seeming as he is the expert and had to argue evidence based medicine with her. All afternoon here and have to come back next week since I refused to go natural without the placenta moving......cow!

How dare she? Utterly ridiculous that you had to experience this today, hope karma bites that doc square in the ass..! :pac: ;) good on you for standing up to her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Icescreamqueen hope everything is okay x

I'm wide awake since 4:20am but it's my last day in work and I plan on doing nothing so I don't care if I'm tired!
    Had a check up with the midwife, babies head is down so she told me I've to live on the birthing ball now to get it engaged!
    Went and got wax last night just in case baby decides to pop out early. That's one less thing to worry about now but I'm sure when I'm in labour I won't actually give two hoots :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am hoping icescreamqueen and her little one are alright and that they kept her in for observation for the night or that she is tired from whatever time she came home.
    Bundaberg wrote: »
    How dare she? Utterly ridiculous that you had to experience this today, hope karma bites that doc square in the ass..! :pac: ;) good on you for standing up to her though.

She was clearly rushing through patients to get them out of the way, but I dare say were you to ask them would they rather wait and get thoroughly looked after or be rushed out, the most would ask for the first option. But she clearly went into medicine for the wrong reasons, and when you have spent time around people in that course/career, you can recognise the ones that hate their job, and she is one of them. Her peers and superior all agree on the section will be necessary if the placenta does not move sufficiently and I know I can argue that. And if not, set the OH on them :D

Going for a scan again today. My OH was fuming over yesterday too so has arranged to take a half day and come in with me. Personally I think he is wasting his afternoon as the harpy was yesterday, but still, I think he saw how worn and upset I was so he wants to help :)

Hope you have a great last day at work SS. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Hi, thanks for all your messages of concern. My friend took me to the hospital at 11.30 last night and I have been in ever since under observation. It was a very restless night as we were in and out of the assessment room and I was only given a room in the ward at 6a.m after my friend begged for me to be seen by the doctor as the midwives couldn't sign off on anything. I haven't had any more bleeding since last night. Will be glad to see my own bed tonight if I get that far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

39 week app today in HS..any ideas what I am to expect? Is it just the usual BP, urine and scan or should I expect an internal exam as well?

MichB2012 wrote: »
    39 week app today in HS..any ideas what I am to expect? Is it just the usual BP, urine and scan or should I expect an internal exam as well?

Internal??? Whoa, I only got that when I was in labour! That was the Rotunda though. They did the usual with me at 38 weeks, nothing extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

Do they not check your cervix towards the end? They had the plastic instrument things they use on the table in the room while I was waiting for the consultant at my last app so they def must use them in the clinic? The thoughts of it!!

Do they not check your cervix towards the end? They had the plastic instrument things they use on the table in the room while I was waiting for the consultant at my last app so they def must use them in the clinic? The thoughts of it!!

I know there was one or two women yesterday at my appointment that had been brought/came in to the hospital that were slightly dialated (2 or less cm) and that had their bags with them and were checked (one was brought to the labour ward) but it was standard checkups for everyone else, not in the Rotunda anyway. I went all the way to my 40 week appointment with my son and just got the usual.

All I can say when you are brought in with suspected labour/when you are in actual labour and they are checking, finger length is everything!!!

• Advertisement

It's definitely worse than it looks. It was used on me last night to see if I had any internal bleeding. It took the doctor a few gos to use it as I kept chickening out. Just try to think of sunshine and lollipops when it's being used on you. It'll be over in no time ;)

Glad to hear you're ok so far icecreamqueen! Are you at home yet?
    I'm over halfway through my second last Friday working this year! Think it's finally hitting me that I'm finishing next week! Think I'm going to be in a daze for the week next week! :P
    At my possible last counselling session for a while as I have one scheduled for the 12th July but I might not make it! I feel calm and happy which is great :)
    How's everyone else doing on this overcast Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

loubian wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're ok so far icecreamqueen! Are you at home yet?
    I'm over halfway through my second last Friday working this year! Think it's finally hitting me that I'm finishing next week! Think I'm going to be in a daze for the week next week! :P
    At my possible last counselling session for a while as I have one scheduled for the 12th July but I might not make it! I feel calm and happy which is great :)
    How's everyone else doing on this overcast Friday?

Hey Loubian! Im the same as you - halfway through my second last Friday!
    Reading your post was a serious hit of reality - Im finished work in one week!!! :eek: :eek:

Im really looking forward to it, my poor feet cant handle all the walking to and from the train station! :o

JD24 wrote: »
    Hey Loubian! Im the same as you - halfway through my second last Friday!
    Reading your post was a serious hit of reality - Im finished work in one week!!!

It's officially one week now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Officially on maternity leave!! Got a lovely send off in work, they got me a big hamper of goodies for the baby and a one for all voucher for myself!
    It's weird I was dying for this day to come now it feels strange I have no routine at all after going to work in the same place for the last 9 years!!!

Officially on maternity leave!! Got a lovely send off in work, they got me a big hamper of goodies for the baby and a one for all voucher for myself!
    It's weird I was dying for this day to come now it feels strange I have no routine at all after going to work in the same place for the last 9 years!!!

I'd say it's an amazing feeling :)
    I'm walking through the shops looking at things thinking oh that might be good for work then realise I have a week left! :D I've done it about 4 times in the last 40 mins!
    Just bought the cutest top in next! I wasn't going to coz I'm apparently going to get so much presents but I couldn't help myself! I though maybe i could get someone to buy it for me, but figured it'd be gone! It's soooo cute :D

So glad your last day went well ss, and that they gave you a good send off to mat leave :)

one week left for loubian and JD24 :) and loubian, its okay to get anything you love. if i went shopping i would be the same, just as long as you dont go mad.

went for my scan today, baby is 6 and a half pounds and just 36 weeks :D head is fully engaged, so I need to be careful, but it has pushed the placenta to the safe distance :)

Aw that was the longest day. I had to get the hospital to discharge me at 1 o'clock as my principal made me come in to the school to sign in to get paid for the summer! Then I had to come home and pack up my stuff ready to move out tomorrow and clean the house top to bottom. I can't wait to be able to relax in Donegal when all the unpacking has been done.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    went for my scan today, baby is 6 and a half pounds and just 36 weeks :D head is fully engaged, so I need to be careful, but it has pushed the placenta to the safe distance :)

This is good news! How do they check if the head is engaged?

Aw that was the longest day. I had to get the hospital to discharge me at 1 o'clock as my principal made me come in to the school to sign in to get paid for the summer! Then I had to come home and pack up my stuff ready to move out tomorrow and clean the house top to bottom. I can't wait to be able to relax in Donegal when all the unpacking has been done.

Could your principal not have waited?
    Make sure you get your rest once you get to your new home! Is everything okay now? Xx

• Advertisement

Could your principal not have waited?
    Make sure you get your rest once you get to your new home! Is everything okay now? Xx

I rang one of the other teachers and got her to tell the principal that I was in hospital. I got a phone call in the hospital from the principal saying I had to come in as soon as possible.
    Anyway glad that day is over. Everything is fine with the baby thank god. I had no more bleeding after last night. I had a scan this morning and the baby is measuring at 5 pound 15 ounces. Was trying to get it out of the midwives if I'd go early but they wouldn't tell me anything. I'm convinced I'm going early now.

I rang one of the other teachers and got her to tell the principal that I was in hospital. I got a phone call in the hospital from the principal saying I had to come in as soon as possible.
    Anyway glad that day is over. Everything is fine with the baby thank god. I had no more bleeding after last night. I had a scan this morning and the baby is measuring at 5 pound 15 ounces. Was trying to get it out of the midwives if I'd go early but they wouldn't tell me anything. I'm convinced I'm going early now.

You'd think she'd be able to wait a day or two for you to get back on your feet!!
    That's great that you and baby are ok :) not trying to scare you, but my sister had a bleed at Christmas and she gave birth two and a half weeks later! But she had a small uterus, so even though baby was only 5lbs something, it was too big! Hope you have your feet up now x

little guy is due back from nana's today and I am able to sleep in if I want, but nope, come 7am I am awake and feel as fresh as a daisy, damn it. :(

When I was getting the scan yesterday loubian they were checking the location of the placenta and the distance from my cervix. the only thing was, they baby's head was right against the cervix. so close they couldn't see where the placenta was in relation to it. the baby has literally headbutted it out of the way.:D so thats why I have loads of pressure and haemorroids and sore varicose veins. baby is pushing down alot.

You'd think she'd be able to wait a day or two for you to get back on your feet!!
    That's great that you and baby are ok :) not trying to scare you, but my sister had a bleed at Christmas and she gave birth two and a half weeks later! But she had a small uterus, so even though baby was only 5lbs something, it was too big! Hope you have your feet up now x

In an ideal world, I would love a week off now to get everything unpacked and cleaned up at home. If the baby came any time after that I'd be delighted but these babies have their own minds. Reckon I'm close to going though. My friends Mum is a retired midwife and I'm going over to her house later to go through a few things with her. She worked in the same hospital that I'm having the baby so she should know the drill.

Just something for everyone to be aware of. You should ask for a swab to be taken by the hospital or your GP as soon as you can. Because I had 3 UTIs during the pregnancy, the midwife took a swab and I found out I have Group B strep which means that as soon as I go into labour I need antibiotics or else I'll pass the infection onto the baby, which could be very dangerous. Apparently 50% of the population are carrying this infection but its not tested for during pregnancy because it costs too much money to swab everyone!!

Just to add to that, I happened to mention to the schools secretary yesterday that I have Group B strep and she told me that a little girl in our school caught meningitis when she was a few days old because her Mum wasn't aware she had GBS and wasn't given any antibiotics during labour. The little girl has special needs and needs very special care now. Sorry I hope I didn't scare anyone but its something to be aware of.

Oh these braxton hicks are coming strong and frequent! They don't hurt so no imminent labour but can feel them every few minutes! :P

My friends were over n they've just gone home, I'm getting really nervous about being in the house on my own when it's dark n its really getting me down :( my mind gets hyperactive and starts thinking the worst! What am I gonna be like when the baby gets here :(

My friends were over n they've just gone home, I'm getting really nervous about being in the house on my own when it's dark n its really getting me down :( my mind gets hyperactive and starts thinking the worst! What am I gonna be like when the baby gets here :(

Aw ya poor thing :(. I was the same way when I arrived home earlier, I didn't want to stay in my house on my own. I ended up going to my friends house to stay here for the night. Just think that the baby is keeping you company and you're not on your own. You should put on loads of lights and have the radio and any kind of noise going.

Aw ya poor thing :(. I was the same way when I arrived home earlier, I didn't want to stay in my house on my own. I ended up going to my friends house to stay here for the night. Just think that the baby is keeping you company and you're not on your own. You should put on loads of lights and have the radio and any kind of noise going.
    I have all the lights on yeah! I think it's coz of the baby I'm getting freaked out, coz I can't run (from scenarios in my head) n I suppose I'm trying to protect her now! It really bothers me :( just trying to keep my mind occupied!

• Advertisement

I have all the lights on yeah! I think it's coz of the baby I'm getting freaked out, coz I can't run (from scenarios in my head) n I suppose I'm trying to protect her now! It really bothers me :( just trying to keep my mind occupied!

Aw don't worry. The baby is looking after you. I think being a mother will give us strength. The strength of a woman is unbelievable. Try not to fret, everything will be fine.

Advertisement