Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2013 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bundaberg

4am and I've been awake for the past 2 hours. This insomnia sucks! Though its good practice for the night feeds ill be doing soon..! Uncomfortable all day yesterday with dull aches, thought there was a pattern building at one stage but then they just stopped. Just feeling lots of pressure and heaviness in my pelvis :( everyone says how low my bump is now too. Just wish baby would make a move! Hoping ill either get a sweep at midwife appt this mornibg in hosp or else get some info as to how long/what the plan when overdue. I'm a week overdue on Sunday. I'm with the Domino midwife scheme so not sure about induction policy etc.. At this stage I feel like I'll still be pregnant at Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Bundaberg wrote: »
    4am and I've been awake for the past 2 hours. This insomnia sucks! Though its good practice for the night feeds ill be doing soon..! Uncomfortable all day yesterday with dull aches, thought there was a pattern building at one stage but then they just stopped. Just feeling lots of pressure and heaviness in my pelvis :( everyone says how low my bump is now too. Just wish baby would make a move! Hoping ill either get a sweep at midwife appt this mornibg in hosp or else get some info as to how long/what the plan when overdue. I'm a week overdue on Sunday. I'm with the Domino midwife scheme so not sure about induction policy etc.. At this stage I feel like I'll still be pregnant at Christmas!!

I'm Domino too, what hospital are you with? Am meeting with consultant team tomorrow about induction will let u know what to expect.

xalot wrote: »
    I'm Domino too, what hospital are you with? Am meeting with consultant team tomorrow about induction will let u know what to expect.

I'm with WRH in waterford. Had midwife appt this morning, I asked her how long do they leave you before induction, it's 14 days here. Aargh! Hoping I won't be waiting that long. I'm going bonkers as it is. Having a sweep on Sunday as I'm officially one week overdue then. Feel like this baby will never arrive lol. Hope your appointment goes well xalot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Wow 14 days is a long time, it's 10 in the Coombe. Really don't want to be induced as they take you off Domino which I have really liked so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

We're officially having August babies. I know what you're saying about the insomnia Bundaberg, had such a broken nights sleep last night. Feel absolutely shattered but I want to have a major cleaning day today. 14 days is far too much. I feel like this baby has grown so much in the last week and still have to get to Tuesday to be induced. I really want to have a natural birth too.

• Advertisement

xalot wrote: »
    Wow 14 days is a long time, it's 10 in the Coombe. Really don't want to be induced as they take you off Domino which I have really liked so far.

Yes I've liked it too, the midwives are fantastic. Fingers crossed the sweep will trigger something on Sunday though I'm losing hope. 14 days is a long time! I thought it was 10 here as well but I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Hey, can anyone tell me what you do wh the clip on the umbilical cord? A still has her clip on, I dunno if I should take it off or wait for the phn who is coming out tomorrow? I'm terrified of going near it!

We're officially having August babies. I know what you're saying about the insomnia Bundaberg, had such a broken nights sleep last night. Feel absolutely shattered but I want to have a major cleaning day today. 14 days is far too much. I feel like this baby has grown so much in the last week and still have to get to Tuesday to be induced. I really want to have a natural birth too.

Shattered here as well but just back from a big walk to try wake this laid back baby into moving lol. I'm thinking the same about the 14 days, I hope it doesn't get to that but in not holding out much hope at this stage. I asked the midwife today did the baby feel big or average when she was palpating my bump , she thinks it could be in the 8 pound region, said it was a long baby not necessarily chunky. Now I'm nervous I'm gonna have a big buster if I go to 14 days over! Yikes! I'm all bump I've been told, and they say my bump is all baby- worries me.,! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

loubian wrote: »
    Hey, can anyone tell me what you do wh the clip on the umbilical cord? A still has her clip on, I dunno if I should take it off or wait for the phn who is coming out tomorrow? I'm terrified of going near it!

Just wait till it falls off by itself hun then wipe her little belly button with cotton wool and cool boiled water for a few days till it's clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Just wait till it falls off by itself hun then wipe her little belly button with cotton wool and cool boiled water for a few days till it's clean.

Public health nurse always took the clip off for me about the 4th/5th day after baby... they have a special clamp to cut it. Then just keep it clean with cooled boiled water and cotton wool and the stump will fall off (some PHN's reccomend the alcohol wipes but they dry the skin around it out too I find)

• Advertisement

Bundaberg wrote: »
    Shattered here as well but just back from a big walk to try wake this laid back baby into moving lol. I'm thinking the same about the 14 days, I hope it doesn't get to that but in not holding out much hope at this stage. I asked the midwife today did the baby feel big or average when she was palpating my bump , she thinks it could be in the 8 pound region, said it was a long baby not necessarily chunky. Now I'm nervous I'm gonna have a big buster if I go to 14 days over! Yikes! I'm all bump I've been told, and they say my bump is all baby- worries me.,! Lol

Got my cleaning done with a little help. If the babies comes now I'd be happy.

I was told to be expecting a baby anything from 7.5 to 8.5 pound! Myself nor the babies father are particularly tall or big so I don't know where that weight comes from. I suppose K Middy was tiny and still managed a big baby. At least you won't have much bother losing the weight after if you're all bump.

Is there any way to tell them you're very nervous about going too far over and book you in sooner. Haha, I suppose I tried that but to no avail and with the bank holiday weekend they only have skeleton staff on.

I was told to be expecting a baby anything from 7.5 to 8.5 pound! Myself nor the babies father are particularly tall or big so I don't know where that weight comes from. I suppose K Middy was tiny and still managed a big baby. At least you won't have much bother losing the weight after if you're all bump..

I was told around week 37 that the baby felt around 3kg, so I was expecting her to be about 4-5kg or more by the time she was born. Wgen she was born, she was 2.8kg!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I was told to be expecting a baby anything from 7.5 to 8.5 pound! Myself nor the babies father are particularly tall or big so I don't know where that weight comes from. I suppose K Middy was tiny and still managed a big baby. At least you won't have much bother losing the weight after if you're all bump.
    I was told at 36 weeks that S was 6 and a bit pounds. At 39 she was only 7. A friend of mine was told her baby was going to be 7, he was 8 and a half

How did everyone feel the few days after baby is born? Did you feel ill n tired after the most little exercise (I.e going for a walk)?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

Loubian I felt like I got hit by a car the first few days!!
    Baby is 8 days old now and I'm still uber emotional crying for no reason? Anyone else feeling the same?

Loubian I felt like I got hit by a car the first few days!!
    Baby is 8 days old now and I'm still uber emotional crying for no reason? Anyone else feeling the same?

Yeh that's a good description of how i feel! I walked too much today, I'm exhausted :( I'm glad to hear it's normal, not that I was expecting to feel fine, but I just didn't know it'd be like this! My back is in bits! I broke down crying cooking pasta last night. I feel like bursting out crying at random times during the day!

The baby blues, it happens to everyone :) Just keep yourself relaxed and rested and you'll be fine :)

I was told my first was going to be 7lbs two weeks before her birth and she was 6lbs when she came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Be kind to yourself. You've just done the most physically exhausting thing possible. It's a huge emotional and physical rollercoaster. Your body needs to heal and you're adjusting to being a mum. I'm a great fan of not getting dressed for at least 2 weeks so I couldn't leave the apartment and I had to rest. I was still in resting mode after 4 weeks this time around. I'm definitely not one of those new mums you see in the shopping centre just days after having a baby.

Be kind to yourself. You've just done the most physically exhausting thing possible. It's a huge emotional and physical rollercoaster. Your body needs to heal and you're adjusting to being a mum. I'm a great fan of not getting dressed for at least 2 weeks so I couldn't leave the apartment and I had to rest. I was still in resting mode after 4 weeks this time around. I'm definitely not one of those new mums you see in the shopping centre just days after having a baby.

Lol, I know where you're coming from. I plan on living in my pjs for a while. I'm gonna buy a pair for every day of the week :). I'll start exercising properly after 6 weeks but until then I'll gonna be house bound and glued to the baby :)

PHN told me 5 days after my c section that I should be dressed and heading out for a walk to clear the cobwebs, no thanks love... I'm recovering from major surgery, I'll be a hermit as long as I can thanks!

• Advertisement

Barely slept last night, every time I was drifting off I felt like my breathing would stop n I'd be gasping for air :( I'm going to be so so tired today :( have the phn coming out to check up n do heel prick test, not looking forward to hearing her scream, might get my mam to stand in for that! She's only down after her 4.30 feed n its already 6am. Going to try sleep for a few hours before phn comes

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭vanna

Barely slept last night, every time I was drifting off I felt like my breathing would stop n I'd be gasping for air :( I'm going to be so so tired today :( have the phn coming out to check up n do heel prick test, not looking forward to hearing her scream, might get my mam to stand in for that! She's only down after her 4.30 feed n its already 6am. Going to try sleep for a few hours before phn comes
    Haven't been on since Darragh was born so a big Congrats on the arrival of your little baby.
    I'm shattered myself this morning, our baby has terrible reflux and is finding it difficult to sleep on his back so he's been on my chest sleeping since 2am! He's during to wake for a feed and when he does daddy will be taking over so I can sleep!
    Anyone any suggestions for helping him sleep in his crib with the reflux?
    It's hard to believe that these little people are only just in our lives and yet I can't remember what it was like before he came along!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My phn would ask why you were dressed when she calls and she'd insist you get into your pj's and stay in them for 2 weeks. As I said I've been very very lucky with our phn.

I am one of those looney mums you see that the same days as I left the hospital with no. 1 I walked from rathmines to Stephens green and back for a steriliser and I try to get out now with the two. But that is As much my choice as it is other mothers choose to stay inside. Every woman is different and wants to relax her own way. I don't go far. Just the corner shop sort of thing. Anything else is far too exhausting. Had to get the luas to mothercare last week. That was exhausting.

Loubian are you bf or bottle? Bf babies take forever to feed at night. I tend to live life now with a boob hanging out at all times.

I'm bottle feeding. She seems to want a lot, I'm making up 90ml bottles and I think she'd take it all hut I'm afraid of giving her too much in case it hurts her stomach.. n then she seems to get a lot of wind. She us getting it up but it takes ages so sometimes it can be 90 mins after her feed that she's actually settling down. I panic when she starts her high pitched squeal coz I just don't know what to do :( I've given her a soother but sometimes I don't like giving it to her, I'd rather try settle her without it so we're not always relying on it but then my nerves kick in nI give it to her to calm here down.

The whole feeling like I can't breathe thing is freaking me out, I'm getting imaginary chest pains because my mind is going overboard with worry. I know it could be a bit of anxiety but literally every time I seemed to drift off, I woke up gasping for air :/ so on top of worrying about A, I'm worrying about my heart, my back is still sore from epi, my bum is still bruised from the forceps, my stitches are driving me nuts, n now my milk has come in so my boobs are huge n killing me!
    :/ uggghhh feckin emotions have me all over the place :(

It's a pain. Literally. My back hurt for a few days from the epidural too. And my stomach hurt a lot more this time as well as they did repair work from my last section (I was butchered to get A out) and my meds meant I got horrific constipation :( they never warn you about the post pregnancy Related crap.

My boobs sting anytime S cries or if she is due a Feed.

Of she is eating it and seems happy, go with that.

As for the panic attacks I used get them all the time. With everything you have just went through having a baby and other stresses with her father it's no wonder you are Getting them. Its neither fun nor easy. *hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm bottle feeding. She seems to want a lot, I'm making up 90ml bottles and I think she'd take it all hut I'm afraid of giving her too much in case it hurts her stomach.. n then she seems to get a lot of wind. She us getting it up but it takes ages so sometimes it can be 90 minstre after her feed that she's actually settling down. I panic when she starts her high pitched squeal coz I just don't know what to do :( I've given her a soother but sometimes I don't like giving it to her, I'd rather try settle her without it so we're not always relying on it but then my nerves kick in nI give it to her to calm here down.

The whole feeling like I can't breathe thing is freaking me out, I'm getting imaginary chest pains because my mind is going overboard with worry. I know it could be a bit of anxiety but literally every time I seemed to drift off, I woke up gasping for air :/ so on top of worrying about A, I'm worrying about my heart, my back is still sore from epi, my bum is still bruised from the forceps, my stitches are driving me nuts, n now my milk has come in so my boobs are huge n killing me!
    :/ uggghhh feckin emotions have me all over the place :(

I had that loubian...you try to sleep. ..but your mind won't shut off...it whirrs around and then you worry if you cant sleep you cant cope the next day...making you more unable to sleep...which makes you worry more and it builds and builds.

If you can sit out the back for a while in the garden and feel the air on your face try it. If its not easing talk to your phn or your gp. It helps just saying it out loud. Its all part of the swings and round abouts of giving birth, it helps to hear them say they've heard it before xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Loubian, could your blood be low? I had shortness of breath when I was anaemic so maybe get your iron levels checked. x

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Loubian, could your blood be low? I had shortness of breath when I was anaemic so maybe get your iron levels checked. x

It could be. I had low iron during the pregnancy so I might take galfer for a week or so to see if it helps. I thinknit may have been a bit of anxiety. Last night I felt a bit better, n when I thought of the father, I could feel it starting up agsin, so going to try not think of anything too stressful! How are you getting on with your twins?

• Advertisement

I feel like over the last two days the baby has got huge. The bump has a peculiar shape too. Really long and narrow, jutting out at the front. I'm not feeling the baby move as much as before either. I'm not happy with the hospital, I wish they induced me yesterday according to the original plan. Tuesday seems like light years away.

Advertisement