Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental broker?

Options
  • 11-11-2012 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi there,

Apologies in advance if there's a thread on this already somewhere.

Moved back to Ireland a year ago and have been living back home in order to finish saving a decent deposit. Have done that now but am just not finding the right house. I really want to get back out living by myself so have decided to take the pressure off and just rent myself an apartment for a year or so.

I'm not interested in sharing with people anymore (am 30 now and have had enough of flatmates!) but after just a few days of looking on Daft it seems that all the apartments are gone even by the time I email about them. I have a bit of a busy job so can't really be online that much every day trying to keep on top of all the latest postings. So, at the risk of sounding lazy (as a family member retorted when I asked about this!), in Dublin can you have a broker hunt out places for you, organising viewings etc? I don't mind paying them a commission, I'm genuinely not lazy as I have been seriously house hunting for months now. I just can't believe the only way to find an apartment is by spending my days and evenings trawling the internet...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What a great idea - ditch the busy job and get on to Dragons Den.

Perhaps until then could you register with a few agencies in the area you want to live?

Only in Ireland would we be in the worst property crash in living memory and it be impossible to find a decent rental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

*Sassy* wrote: »
    Hi there,

in Dublin can you have a broker hunt out places for you, organising viewings etc? I don't mind paying them a commission, I'm genuinely not lazy as I have been seriously house hunting for months now. I just can't believe the only way to find an apartment is by spending my days and evenings trawling the internet...

You can retain an estate agent to act for you on commission. They are not supposed to charge the landlord commission if they do this. It usually only happens in the case of Hig end corporate lettings.

The trouble is that as the supply of accommodation tightens, the landlords are starting to advertise themselves rather than using an agent. Tightening supply also means lower turnover as it is more difficult for tenants to move. That means agents are handling fewer lettings than in the boom.
    Another option might be to see if there is anything of interest to you at the Allsops Auction and propose yourself as a tenant to the new landlord after the auction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Why don't you PM some of the posters on this thread who know all about where there is an excess of rentals of property in Dublin and landlords can be bargained down to a point where they are paying tenants to live in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

There's lots of letting agents around who would be only too happy to act on your behalf.

As an aside, I recently let a place. One guy that came to view it, said it was the first of 16 properties that he'd wanted to view, that he'd actually gotten to view! There's a huge amount of interest in City Center properties at the moment.

Advertisement