Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup for 5 yr old boy

• 11-11-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

ok so were thinking of getting our son a pup for xmas (don't worrie it won't b just for xmas) this is our thinking Calem (our son) is very much an outside boy never wants to be inside and because of this we have got him a lot of toys etc for outside n were kinda running out of stuff to get him. We don't want to get him any game consoles because don't want him to get addicted plus he is 2 young and active n don't want that to change. so this thinking has brought us to a dog. we were both rared with family pets and think its a great privilege to have a pet to love as a child i know its a big reaponisablty. so we looking for some advice on what dog to get. thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Midnight Diamond

Hi, I would recommend you get him a jack russell pup. They're loveable little dogs and are great with kids. If you get him one he'll have a friend for life. I think that you'd be better off sticking with a smaller dog. Because your son is so young he would be able to help look after and be more involved wih a smaller dog, such as a terrier, as opposed to a larger dog, such as a labrador.
    Hope this helps you with your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I have a Jack Russell and I love him but he can be snappy and they are not known for patience. Our retriever cross on the other hand is a big softy, with great patience and not too hyper. Either way best of luck, make sure whatever breed or cross you get that you research health issues, buy or adopt reputably and that you get insurance immediately. Also take account of things like the garden is escape proof, that the dog is not too long on it's own especially when very young, that you will never again be able to go away or stay late at a whim because the dog will be waiting. Holidays will now include kennel fees.
    Hope to see piccies of a happy dog here soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would suggest an adult dog/older pup. Not for the obvious rescue reasons, but because training a puppy is difficult and time-consuming as it is, and training them with your children can be even more challenging. An older dog who has probably already been introduced to children would likely be more tolerant to a boisterous 5-year-old boy's antics, and would be more resilient too. A young pup would take much less kindly to any accidents while running around with a (to them) giant boy and playing. They also need a fair bit of training to avoid nips and such. Just a suggestion, mostly for safety reasons.
    ALL pups are very mouthy, and constant supervision outside and inside would be required (with any age or breed of dog), and JRT pups would be very small and fragile enough until they're grown :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Just wondered if you have considered what size of dog you would like to own?

We have a 2 year old Maltese who our 5 year old has adopted as his own, they are best friends, play together, watch tv together and snuggle on the sofa when he plays his ds. She is also non-shedding which means no hair all over the place (something else to consider). Highly recommend them and we have a female yorkshire terrier (also non-shedding), who is best friends with all our children and is the most placid dog ever you will ever meet :)

We also have a Bernese Mountain Dog that our 3 year old owns, (santa took her last year) huge dog, loves children, very placid and friendly, easy to train as she will do anything for food :D but sheds everywhere :eek:

I guess its your lifestyle, time and how much commitment you are looking for. Our children loves our pets but the feeding, cleaning up and grooming is left to myself.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new pet, your son will be delighted with his new friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A lot of breeders won't sell you a pup this close to Christmas, for obvious reasons.

Off the top of my head, I think maybe a Shih Tzu or a Maltese which another poster mentioned. They're great with children, don't shed, but do take a lot of grooming.

What about something like a Miniature Pinscher? or a Ladbrador? I'm thinking off the top of my head, and will have a dig around for more suitable breeds.

I would be wary of getting a rescue dog, as you don't know the history, and I wouldn't want to take a chance with a small child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Whenever people ask what would be a good dog for a family, I automatically think of some form of spaniel. There are loads of varieties depending on what you want. Springers, cockers if you like bigger dogs and are willing to exercise them a good bit, or if you like smaller dogs maybe a king Charles? Very good with kids very placid and contrary to what most people think they love their excercise! Just be very selective in your breeder because they are prone to health problems so make sure the breeder does all necessary tests. Either way if you ask on a public forum like this everyone is going to have good and bad points no matter what breed is mentioned, and people are going to be biased towards their own breed. Each dog is individual and each person has individual tastes so ultamately it comes down to your own preference. Best of luck in the search, and be careful getting a pup so close to Christmas, make sure it comes from a decent source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I genuinely cannot believe the amount of people recommending ridiculous dogs here, I wouldn't dream of letting my daughter near a JRT or anything else similar. Horrible dogs and constantly barking, yapping and nipping.

My opinion would be a staffie, look beyond what you read in the papers and look into how amazing they are with children. My daughter is 3 and adores my staffie and vice versa, perfect breed of dog if you want to keep your son active too. They are not called the nanny dog for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Why do people only ever think tiny / toy dogs are suitable for kids? There are plenty of medium to large to giant dogs that are great with kids. staffy, lab, newfie, even mastiffs. Most tiny dogs are constantly being stalked by kids in order to be picked up & carried around. Far more likely to get a nip like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

xmas really is a bad idea - it's the time of year that you least need to be cleaning up the floor 5 times a day, to be woken up at night for a week, and to have to constantly be keeping an eye on your child.
    A family dog is a great idea, but be aware that you'll need to supervise every moment that the child and puppy are together. Puppy is going to go through a phase of nipping and chewing, and it's tiresome enough when it's just adults being nipped - just read up and be prepared.

I'd choose a medium sized dog, one that will enjoy a bit of rough and tumble when it gets older, and most important with an energy level that whoever is going to be walking the dog can cope with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd recommend something like a Staffie, or even something bigger. Small dogs can get hurt by accident quite easily, and terriers really don't have the temperament for children (I can't count how many times my JRT bit me when I was a kid).

My advice would be to go to the DSPCA rescue and get them to match you with a dog. They won't rehome them at Christmas though, for obvious reasons, so you'd have to wait a few weeks, but Santa could definitely bring some toys and a collar to indicate that a dog's on its way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have a range of dog sizes here from teeny tiny JRT up to lab x and would agree with the others who have said stick to a more medium sized dog, the small breeds can get hurt very easily and can often be far quicker to nip. Kids are always drawn to the smallies too, of all the dog sizes I have my 2 year old only wants the 3kg JRT and I can't tell you the number of times the JRT has snapped cos my 2 year old has tried to hug her too hard, tried to dress her up, bring her somewhere etc etc The bigger dogs are far more tolerant of kids. Don't forget the golden rule though, never leave a dog and a child alone together, for both their sakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Melion wrote: »
    I genuinely cannot believe the amount of people recommending ridiculous dogs here, I wouldn't dream of letting my daughter near a JRT or anything else similar. Horrible dogs and constantly barking, yapping and nipping.

My opinion would be a staffie, look beyond what you read in the papers and look into how amazing they are with children. My daughter is 3 and adores my staffie and vice versa, perfect breed of dog if you want to keep your son active too. They are not called the nanny dog for nothing.

Please do not tar an entire breed with 1 label. I have 3 JRT and none of them are horrible, barking, yappy or nippy dogs. 2 of them are absolutely wonderful with children and put up with a lot more from them than they do from adults and are also very aware to be more gentle around children.

In saying that I do agree with your suggestion of a staffy for a family, they are gorgeous people/children friendly dogs.

Every dog is an individual and their reactions and behaviour are entirely down to how they are reared and treated. Do not rule out any specific breed due to the perceptions other people have about them. Research breeds with a very close eye on how they would slot into your lifestyle. If you don't want a house full of hair don't get a lab(for example). If you aren't prepared to put hours of exercise in when the dog is grown don't get a working breed.

A pet is probably one of the biggest and longest commitments you will make as a family so spend the time upfront selecting the right one.

I grew up with an English Setter as my best friend and have such happy memories of my time with him, complete lunatic of a dog but he came everywhere with me and was a huge amount of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a minor point and probably completely unintentional but for the love of behoosa don't say you're getting a dog for your son, or that the dog will be your son's dog, or anything like that.

If you're getting a dog, then it's going to be your dog and nobody else's. Children under 16 are simply too selfish to provide adequate full-time care for any animal, the parent will always be the dog's primary carer. So long as you remember this, everything should go fine.

It's probably completely irrelevant to your post, but I always cringe when I see someone say that they're buying their child a pet. Pets should always be family pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Cant go wrong with a lab pup. hel grow up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

A Newfoundland dog would be my choice, they are gentle giants and notoriously good with children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I hear JRTs shed terribly! Id always assumed that being sleek they didnt but apparently they're as bad as " all" the rest.

Restrictred breed dogs regardless of their personalities bring associated problems - not allowed to be walked in public unless leashed by chain lead + muzzled, + not allowed to be under the control of a child being another - so by this rule your son would be hassled whenever he went to play ball with it, run with it, or even walk it on a lead until he was 17. Staffies, shepards, rothweilers, akitas + some otherd mentioned here ( i think), Google it.

As some other poster mentioned, the work will fall to you ( probably). Does a high energy hunting dog requiring two 1+ hour walks each day suite your schedule - for dogs like sheepdogs, springers,spaniels, pointers, setters, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

How much attention do you expect a five year old to pay to a dog?
    It might be a novelty for the first hour but after that, it will be another toy completely forgotton about until he steps in the .....!

I hear JRTs shed terribly! Id always assumed that being sleek they didnt but apparently they're as bad as " all" the rest.

Restrictred breed dogs regardless of their personalities bring associated problems - not allowed to be walked in public unless leashed by chain lead + muzzled, + not allowed to be under the control of a child being another - so by this rule your son would be hassled whenever he went to play ball with it, run with it, or even walk it on a lead until he was 17. Staffies, shepards, rothweilers, akitas + some otherd mentioned here ( i think), Google it.

As some other poster mentioned, the work will fall to you ( probably). Does a high energy hunting dog requiring two 1+ hour walks each day suite your schedule - for dogs like sheepdogs, springers,spaniels, pointers, setters, etc.

As far as I know, the age for someone to be legally responsible for someone to be in control or a restricted breed is 16 years not 17, not that it makes much difference. The child shouldn't be out walking the dog on their own at the age of 5 anyway so there is going to be an adult present. I don't think the rule is too well enforced anyway judging by gangs of teens around Limerick with GSDs and Staffies, and I've never seen anyone be stopped and asked what age they are/ to put a muzzle on a dog.

Oh, and it's Rottweiler not Rothweiler :P When people spell it the wrong way it always remind me of a pack of ciggies ;)

Y - so he'lll have to wait until he' s able to prove hes 17 to be officially able to walk it.

Stoping + hassling common in Dublin - better policing, more social awareness - or yobs less well armed?

I like the picture of Rothweilers smoking fags thou- adds to their image!

Without the H.

Allegedly!

• Advertisement

Y - so he'lll have to wait until he' s able to prove hes 17 to be officially able to walk it.

Stoping + hassling common in Dublin - better policing, more social awareness - or yobs less well armed?

I like the picture of Rothweilers smoking fags thou- adds to their image!

I don't get what you mean by the first part of your post? He'll have to wait till he is 16 to walk the dog on his own, but that doesn't mean the dog won't get walked it just means that there has to be an adult present, I don't get that there is a problem with this? If I had a 5 year old son I wouldn't want them out walking a dog around on their own until they were at least 16 anyway, regardless of RB or not.
    And it's not allegedly without the H, it is without the H ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Katiefla wrote: »
    ok so were thinking of getting our son a pup for xmas (don't worrie it won't b just for xmas) this is our thinking Calem (our son) is very much an outside boy never wants to be inside and because of this we have got him a lot of toys etc for outside n were kinda running out of stuff to get him. We don't want to get him any game consoles because don't want him to get addicted plus he is 2 young and active n don't want that to change. so this thinking has brought us to a dog. we were both rared with family pets and think its a great privilege to have a pet to love as a child i know its a big reaponisablty. so we looking for some advice on what dog to get. thank you!!!

If I were you I would be matching the dog to your energy/exercise levels, Calem is too young to be exercising a dog beyond playing at the minute so it does kind of depend on what you intend on doing as regards exercise. Obviously some breeds need far more exercise than others and if you dont match that properly it may be tough on you and the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

A puppy for such a young child may not be the best idea. Pups are a huge amount of work and mixing an un-toilet trained, un-trained in general pup with a young child can be a pretty big deal. An older pup or an adult may be a better idea. Rescues are bursting at the seams with brilliant dogs that are great with kids (they will be checked out before they are homed with a child) and often quite a lot of the training is already done for you. The other big upshot of going the rescue route is that you will know the dogs personality before you home it, this allows you to better judge the individual dog that is right for you and your lifestyle. Plus, you won't be filling the pockets of dodgy breeders and will be saving a dogs life along the way - win win!

Breed wise, I would go with a Spaniel or a Staffie - or any other dog that is good with kids. Breed isn't always a determining factor when it comes to personality - for example, some Labs are great with children while others are not - it all depends on the dog. My advice is to go to rescues, explain what you want/need in a pet and let them help you pick out a dog. They have your best interest at heart, and the dogs best interest at heart - a rescue doesn't want to home a dog that is going to be unsuitable and returned to them, they want to find a forever home! Don't let looks fool you, some dogs may look tough/scarey/scruffy etc. but have hearts of gold! You need to be sure to consider the fact that it will be you taking care of the dog - feeding, walking, cleaning up after etc. etc. - and try to be realistic with what you can provide a dog, I know that the big eyes looking up at you can really entice you but if you cannot realisticly provide what that dog needs it is a recipe for trouble.

Most of all - good luck on your search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

This is a terrible idea.

Terrible, terrible idea.

Where are you going to get the pup? Genuine breeders wont have puppies available to buy without notice at Christmas, for obvious reasons. So where will the dog come from? A puppy farm? Or a responsible breeder who just happens to have bread a litter, and has yet to find homes for the puppies, at Christmas? Honestly, what do you think is the likely result here?

So you find an unlikely but genuine breeder...

When are you going to give this present to your 5 year old? Generally speaking gifts are given as surprises to people on Christmas day. So are you going to pick up the puppy on Christmas day? Or a day or two before hand? If it's a day or too before hand, where's the puppy going to live, without its mother or litter?

So it's not a surprise/you pick the puppy up on Christmas morning....

Puppies bite. What happens when the puppy bites your child on Christmas morning? The child is crying, what do you do to the puppy?

Puppies ****e. What happens when the puppy ****es in your good room on Christmas morning? Is the puppy banned form the good room?

Look i know this board can have issues with people getting uppity, and I never wanted to end up "that poster", but this idea, on face value, is a really, really terrible one. Please, give more that a few weeks to think this through. Sure buy the boy a dog. Dogs are great, but not in the next month. Not for Christmas.

Why not make it a separate event. He's five you say? When is he finished "senior infants"? Maybe to mark him becoming a big boy and going into 1st class, he could get the dog that summer?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

not allowed to be walked in public unless leashed by chain lead + muzzled, + not allowed to be under the control of a child being another - so by this rule your son would be hassled whenever he went to play ball with it, run with it, or even walk it on a lead until he was 17.

Just on another point of information, in case anyone reading this is misled, not only does the law state that a person must be 16 or older (not 17), there is nothing in the legislation about having to use a chain lead... Not sure where you got that from. It must be a sufficiently strong lead of no more than 2m length, but there is no stipulation as to what the lead must be made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I would support Zulu's suggestion of getting a pup at the start of the Summer holidays.

It makes so much sense & really makes life much easier with a small pup if doors can be left open to outside to help with toilet training & there is a big difference in standing out in the garden waiting for the pup to do his business at 11pm on a July evening to 11pm on a freezing cold, wet January night! Plus the getting up again at 4am to let them out to the toilet!

Also. everyone seems to have more time during the summer, due to longer days & the 2 months of the holiday would be the ideal time for your son to really bond with the dog, as they could be together all day, every day.

Would you maybe consider putting off actually getting a dog until next year & use the time in between to plan for it, your son included. You could then fully research different types of dogs to see what might best suit your family, maybe meet some dogs of the breeds you prefer and even visit a few rescues to see how the rescue process might work for you?

In the meantime, maybe a dog breed book & Nintendogs for Xmas to start the ball rolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Sorry, my bad! Just re-read OP & you don't want your son to have games consoles, so scrap the Nintendogs idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Your location is important as any when planing to buy a dog.
    Are you rural or urban. Will the dog be raised on a farm or in a town. If its a farm you need to be wary of the dog chasing cattle/sheep etc.
    If you buy an older dog to avoid the hassle of toilet training, is the dog used to strangers (if your walking him/her in towns).

Small dogs in the countryside will be constantly covered in s*ite if they venture outside at all, short legs near to the ground and all that.

A cocker spaniel maybe? Although I think they shed quite a bit.

Instead of adding to all the regular panic/excitement of xmas, why not wait till a birthday or some other special event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Don't get him a jack russell anyway whatever you do. You mentioned love etc, you won't get that from a jack russell. They're more suited to old bachelors imo. Collie be grand or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hippies! wrote: »
    Don't get him a jack russell anyway whatever you do. You mentioned love etc, you won't get that from a jack russell. They're more suited to old bachelors imo. Collie be grand or something.

Wrong, my Jack Russell is full of love, playfullness and happiness. I don't think Jacks are right for kids though as kids tend to treat them like teddy bears and constantly pick them up, earning themselves a snap and a growl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement