Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup for 5 yr old boy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hippies! wrote: »
    Don't get him a jack russell anyway whatever you do. You mentioned love etc, you won't get that from a jack russell. They're more suited to old bachelors imo. Collie be grand or something.

A collie is the last breed id recommend around children....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

andreac wrote: »
    A collie is the last breed id recommend around children....

+ 100!

Unless you can offer the kind of daily exercise and stimulation a collie needs, and put in a mother load of work training the dog, it would not be suitable around children.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

I'd like a child for my dog to play with and your son sounds perfect ha!

Seriously I have two dogs one is a little mix breed who I adore and the other is an English Springer Spaniel and my partner and I often talk about how he actually needs a child to play with.
    I have had two Springers (both boys) and they are excellent dogs for kids.

I'll give you the cons first:

If you go with a medium to large dog like a Springer your child is bound to get knocked over at the age he is now and if the dog is not good on the lead he might pull him along but I don't imagine you would be letting a five year old walk a dog around the place by himself anyway.

They shed, not a lot but you will find some hairs on the bed if the dog has been up on it.

The pros: Springers are just so loving and are an all round great family dog, it's like they know what each member of the family wants. He snuggles into me, plays ruff and tumble with Dad and when kids come over he gets silly happy cause of these tiny humans who just want to play with him.

They can be very hyper and very calm from minute to minute, I can have ten minutes of crazy play with my fella and then I need a break so I tell him we have to rest and he does, then back to crazy play again.

Both my Springers toilet trained quickly, I remember the first day we got the fella we have now and we forgot to buy those puppy training pads so there was one accident, the 2nd day we put one down beside the back door and he went on it throughout the day, we moved it out the back that night and he never went in the house again.

As with all dogs they have their own personality so you never know, you could get a peeing, couch chewing, barking monster but I bet you would still love him anyway.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

swanangel wrote: »
    I'd like a child for my dog to play with and your son sounds perfect ha!

Seriously I have two dogs one is a little mix breed who I adore and the other is an English Springer Spaniel and my partner and I often talk about how he actually needs a child to play with.
    I have had two Springers (both boys) and they are excellent dogs for kids.

I'll give you the cons first:

If you go with a medium to large dog like a Springer your child is bound to get knocked over at the age he is now and if the dog is not good on the lead he might pull him along but I don't imagine you would be letting a five year old walk a dog around the place by himself anyway.

They shed, not a lot but you will find some hairs on the bed if the dog has been up on it.

The pros: Springers are just so loving and are an all round great family dog, it's like they know what each member of the family wants. He snuggles into me, plays ruff and tumble with Dad and when kids come over he gets silly happy cause of these tiny humans who just want to play with him.

They can be very hyper and very calm from minute to minute, I can have ten minutes of crazy play with my fella and then I need a break so I tell him we have to rest and he does, then back to crazy play again.

Both my Springers toilet trained quickly, I remember the first day we got the fella we have now and we forgot to buy those puppy training pads so there was one accident, the 2nd day we put one down beside the back door and he went on it throughout the day, we moved it out the back that night and he never went in the house again.

As with all dogs they have their own personality so you never know, you could get a peeing, couch chewing, barking monster but I bet you would still love him anyway.

Best of luck!

That's a lovely post. I would second a springer, I don't have one myself but my brother has had for the past 20 years and they are fabulous dogs with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I think this is a terrible idea. I would never get a five year old child an animal. If you had a twelve or thirteen year old kid then yes maybe, but five years old?

I am highly concerned as you say you are running out of things to buy for your child for christmas. Do you really think a dog is the right answer?

I never trust dogs with young children, regardless of breed. You might think your child will be as gentle as and know how to care for it, but what if an accident happens and the dog attacked him?

I really don't think a five year old boy would appreciate the gift of a puppy after the novelty wears off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Melion wrote: »
    I genuinely cannot believe the amount of people recommending ridiculous dogs here, I wouldn't dream of letting my daughter near a JRT or anything else similar. Horrible dogs and constantly barking, yapping and nipping.

My opinion would be a staffie, look beyond what you read in the papers and look into how amazing they are with children. My daughter is 3 and adores my staffie and vice versa, perfect breed of dog if you want to keep your son active too. They are not called the nanny dog for nothing.

I'm shocked at the hostility towards jack russel terriors, i've had 4 throughout my life, and they never bit anyone, and barely barked? they are all so friendly and playful! it really depends the way the dog is reared I guess.

(also do you not realise the dog you suggested is on many lists of most dangerous dogs? I wouldnt go near a staffordshire bull terrior myself)

oh and i think an adult lab would be a good dog for your son, as long as you have seen how he acts around children :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

123 LC wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the hostility towards jack russel terriors, i've had 4 throughout my life, and they never bit anyone, and barely barked? they are all so friendly and playful! it really depends the way the dog is reared I guess.

(also do you not realise the dog you suggested is on many lists of most dangerous dogs? I wouldnt go near a staffordshire bull terrior myself)

oh and i think an adult lab would be a good dog for your son, as long as you have seen how he acts around children :)

You obviously havent a clue about dog breeds then :rolleyes:

The staffie is not a dangerous dog, where did you get that info from??

They are actually known as the nanny dog as they are so good with children.

Please do not post such rubbish when you dont have a clue what you are talking about!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

From my experience of having dogs as a child, I'd never had a puppy until I was 11 when our two dogs (A Collie and Jack Russell X) died. I think as a child I preferred the older dogs they were less hassle as the had mellowed compared to a puppy. The amount of time our Labrador X bit my feet when she was a puppy was unbelievable and if this happened with your son he may start to resent the dog. The Collie and the Jack Russell however were already used to children when I came along as they were already accustomed to my two older brothers. They two dogs had a very nice temperament so I got on great with them. I do think however 5 is to young to have a dog but when he is about 11/12 which is time when most kids in my class seemed to be getting dogs is more suitable age. I have to say though a Labrador is a great dog for children once the dog has matured. They have great patience around children.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The Staffie isn't on any list of dangerous breeds, that I know of!
    There are some rather extreme comments in this thread. All of the breeds so far suggested have traditionally been considered good with children, but I have seen exceptions in all of these breeds too. Some of the suggested breeds always had a great reputation, but indiscriminate breeding and poor early rearing has caused some of them to become less than safe around kids.
    As for a child of 5 not being old enough to have a dog, well, I'd imagine that most posters here are direct evidence that this is simply not true! I'm assuming the OP is sensible enough to know that their new dog will not be the child's in anything other than name. Presumably the OP knows they're to assume the day to day puppy rearing duties, not the child? There were always dogs in my house, I don't remember not having one. Yes, I got bitten, always my own fault, but the lessons I learned, and the path my life took, was all thanks to this early integration with dogs... Under the careful supervision of my parents. Done right, a 5 year old boy sharing his life with a dog is a positive, educational, life-affirming thing, ss long as there is strong parental supervision.
    Just be careful op, where you source your dog. I too would suggest an older pup or young adult of medium-ish size, because they're past the worst bits, and critically, you've a much better idea of how they feel about kids than you do with a young pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I think the problem isnt that a 5 year old is too young to have a dog, its more that you shouldnt be getting a dog purely for the 5 year old. You see so many threads, and in real life, of people saying they want to get a pet for their children. To me this suggests that the main interest isnt in giving a dog a good life, but giving their child something fun to play with. They are only doing it for the child, not for the dog or themselves.

That may not be the case here, but the fact that OP wants a surprise christmas present suggests it is. Pets are not presents.

Oh and also, most parents lose all sense of rationality when a dog snaps at their child. Even though its bound to happen at some point. You should only have a dog in the same house as young children if you are prepared for probable accidents. If you're the kind of person thats gonna freak out and rehome the dog, or worse have it put down, because it snapped at your child, then you shouldnt have a dog at all. Well not until the child is older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was about to agree with you, my mother JRT is a little pet when it comes to people. Just wants to please. And yes it does depend on how the dog id raised.

THEN you come out with this

So the way the dog is raised doesn't apply to staffies? It's ok to be negative about staffies but not JRTs? It's hardly fair to call a poster out on their breed prejudices and then spout the same sort of misinformed opinion yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Your comment about staffies completely negate anything else in your post. I have 1 who my 3yr old daughter takes for regular walks, with no muzzle I might add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Folks, I don't know, maybe some of you would rather flesh out the pro's & con's of various breeds for the OP, but frankly, I'd rather not. I'd much rather see some sort of clarity about the proposed future for whatever dog they do decide to get.

OP, it's a dog first.
    Then it's a breed.

It doesn't matter a whole heap "what breed" if you aren't going to cater for the "dog". If a "dog" isn't treated correctly, if a "dog" isn't exercised, if a "dog" isn't a member of a pack (your family), then the "dog" will not be suitable for your family. At all.

If the "dog" is catered for, then look to the breed. Different breeds require different simulations but ultimately most "family" dogs are going to need LOADS of walking.

Think 1 hour MINIMUM every day, hail, rain, or shine.

They will need mental simulation, think 10-20mins training everyday. This can be incorporated into the walk though. If you box off their needs, your needs will also be met. You'll have a loving companion for your son.

But if their needs aren't met... Think chewing, digging, barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

We have 3 dogs in our home, all breeds mentioned in this thread.

Jack Russell - our little guy was a rescue direct from the streets in terrible condition, a very sick pup of less than 6 months. He has just passed his 16th birthday :) He is a very loving little dog with people, has always been excellent with kids - he has grown up with my daughter - but can be jealous of the other dogs. My Mother -in-law also used to have a JRT who was totally different. We minded him for a couple of weeks once when they went on holidays, treated him like a prince & he bit me when we brought him back to them!

Labrador - our 2nd one! Totally my dog, will take little notice of anyone else!. My daughter was 6 when we got him & she was terrified of him (bearing in mind this is a child raised with dogs all her life & well used to them). He was just to much for her - too big, too bouncy. And labs are very mouthy, especially when young.

Staffy - he is now 7 months old & is my daughters dog(shock horror ;)). Absolute star of a dog, easy & laid back. He & my daughter adore each other & spend loads of time together. BUT he was very mouthy in first few months, as any young puppy will be. My daughters legs & arms were in bits for a good few weeks & she got pretty fed up with it. She is a teenager, who knew what to expect, how to deal with it appropriately & that it would soon pass but she found it very hard to cope with at times.

Also to add, my daughter has a good few other pets as well - cats, rabbits, hamster, fish. Ultimately they are all my repsonsibility, I make sure they are clean, fed, watered & have everything they need. I don't give out to her (too much!) if she neglects her animal-related chores because it was my decision to allow her to have them.

My advice OP would be to look for an older dog, maybe around 2 years, something small(but not too small) to medium sized, that has been used to living in a family situation, so the dog will be calmer and will understand how it is expected to behave.

andreac wrote: »
    You obviously havent a clue about dog breeds then :rolleyes:

The staffie is not a dangerous dog, where did you get that info from??

They are actually known as the nanny dog as they are so good with children.

Please do not post such rubbish when you dont have a clue what you are talking about!!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

why do they have to wear muzzles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Because of an arbitary knee-jerk legislation being brought in, based on laws in the UK.

Whispered wrote: »
    I was about to agree with you, my mother JRT is a little pet when it comes to people. Just wants to please. And yes it does depend on how the dog id raised.

THEN you come out with this

So the way the dog is raised doesn't apply to staffies? It's ok to be negative about staffies but not JRTs? It's hardly fair to call a poster out on their breed prejudices and then spout the same sort of misinformed opinion yourself.

no one seems to understood my attempt at sarcasm :/ :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

and if you read your own link you will see that it is NOT a dangerous dog list, but rather a list of restricted breeds.

the list and the legislation around is completely arbitrary and pointless. The gsd is on there, but not the belgian, what is the difference? i would suggest the difference is that the people that drew up the list had no knowledge of dogs whatsoever, and had never hear of a belgian shepherd dog, but of course the knew the alsatian. Appartently chihuahuas were going to be on the list as well - because of the name, they sounded dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

As other said I would forget about it as an Xmas present. Christmas is stressful enough without adding a dog into the mix. Its going to take any dog a while to settle in so I'd wait till the end of January or early Fen when all the fuss has died down and the weather starts to get a bit better.

Please consider a rescue dog. There is no need to buy a dog when thousands are killed in our shelters every year. As the saying goes "any idiot can buy a dog but it takes a special person to adopt one":D. Plus you'll enjoy the feeling of knowing your not contributing to the overpopulation while giving an animal a home.

A good rescue like the <snip> or the <snip> will interview you and help match you with the right dog. I too would recommend a slightly bigger dog that has previously lived with young children. Maybe a lab, retriever or any medium sized cross of these dogs.

Good luck in your search but seriously forget about having it for Christmas. you'll end up with a puppy farmed dog that has left a history of cruelty behind it.

Mod note: please don't advocate individual rescue groups on-forum. You can do so by PM if necessary.
    Thanks,
    DBB

there are plenty of nice dogs on <snip> as well, i think a dog over a year old would be best :)

Mod note: Links or directing people to this or other sales websites is against the forum charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

there are plenty of nice dogs on <snip>

Please ignore this! Stay away from <snip> Mod edit: online pet sales websites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The OP has a grand total of one post on Boards, has not come back to contribute to the thread and has not logged in two days. They did not seek permission in advance of starting the thread either as instructed in the Christmas puppy sticky at the top of the forum.

Thread Closed.

Please report all threads in relation to Christmas puppies. If anyone wants to have a general discussion on ethical issues, logistics, unavailability of pups from reputable sources at this time of year etc. feel free to start a general discussion thread for this purpose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement