Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any value in going up north for shopping anymore?

Options
  • 11-11-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Thinking of heading up the north to do some Xmas shopping soon, probably Newry, wondering is it worth it anymore with the euro doing so badly against the pound now, it's about 80 pence to the euro now, any one been up recently? I need to do all kinds of shopping, grocery, clothes etc etc and booze of course

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A lot of the big retailers advertise their rate so bring cash and check the rate.
    One place I shop in is .90 e to £1 so having euro cash there is a big help

It varies store by store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

Get a Kalixa prepaid Mastercard and you get the actual exchange rate (as shown by Google) with no fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If it's food/drink then the value isn't really there anymore. Clothes vary by retailer. Big ticket items and electricals there's still value to be found, assuming you're not driving from the south coast to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I went to Asda a few months ago, spent over €240 and dident even have any meat in the trolley. I'll never go back again unless things change drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NOt so much these days, and I think the numbers from the South travelling has definitely decreased.

I know all my in-laws have stopped travelling North, as they said they ended up buying things they didn;t really need as they felt they had to load trolleys to the brim cos they had made the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not worth your while, fuel costs mean you will need to be spending lots of cash to recoup any savings. Have a look at www.asda.co.uk or www.sainsburys.co.uk for ideas of prices but on booze the premium brands are mostly cheaper down south.

If there's items you want to order from UK shops and avoid big delivery charges you could use the likes of Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry but you still would get better booze deals in NI, even on premium brands, but the difference isn't as big as it once was.

I travel to NI for work so would still buy certain things in NI, including beers. But I have to admit that places like SuperValu now do decent deals on premium beers, and with my sterling getting 25% extra, it would only be slightly more expensive to buy in SuperValu in RoI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

www.mysupermarket.co.uk compares prices for groceries/drink/beauty stuff across the major retailers.

Advertisement