Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet shop that sells large rat cages

• 11-11-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a pet shop (willing to travel) that would regularly stock large rat cages (like the Midwest Critter Nation). I know there's a few sites online that deliver them but I'd prefer to pick one up in a store if at all possible. If anyone can give me a price that would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I know Maxizoo sell big cages, I was looking at some for rats before.
    Not sure on price but you can bet they won't be less than 150!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Silverfish wrote: »
    I know Maxizoo sell big cages, I was looking at some for rats before.
    Not sure on price but you can bet they won't be less than 150!

Can you remember how big? I was looking at some of the 5ft tall ones online! I'm expecting to pay around 260-300 quid for one anyway, it's just a matter of finding a store I can go into! Maxizoo seems like a good bet then, its just awkward when they have a website and no stock section :rolleyes:

Yup, their site is woeful!

I was in the Tallaght store, they definitely had the tall cages in there, about 4 - 5ft tall. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they have and how much.

Yup, their site is woeful!

I was in the Tallaght store, they definitely had the tall cages in there, about 4 - 5ft tall. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they have and how much.

Great stuff, might give them a call tomorrow and see what the craic is. Longford is probably closer for us, but I imagine if I ring ahead they could order one in?

I know you want to go to a shop but http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Rat_Cage.html - seems cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know you want to go to a shop but http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Rat_Cage.html - seems cheap!

They sell live fish online, really puts me off tbh.

I was looking at it and the main problem I have with it is the wire floors :( Ive been told they're not great for ratty feet and the critter nation cages (to my knowledge) have adjustable plastic floors.

Stheno wrote: »

So does Seahorse Aquariums, aren't they supposed to be fantastic though? My main reason for not wanting to buy online is simply financial paranoia :P I dont really like the thoughts of handing over 200 odd quid online for something I might not see for at least a week!

Edit: You can pay for the fish with Pet-Bliss online, you have to go collect them though!

I know, it's not ideal, but most fish are imported anyway, so once they're couriered it's usually okay. One of the best show standard goldfish suppliers send fish worth hundreds to thousands around the world, via courier.

I presume since they require you to contact them first that they must arrange some specific type of shipping.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I was looking at it and the main problem I have with it is the wire floors :( Ive been told they're not great for ratty feet and the critter nation cages (to my knowledge) have adjustable plastic floors.

Yeah, you don't want wire floors :(
    Could put some coroplast bases in on top of the wires? Lot of messing about though, and also the waiting!

Time to dig out the phonebook and call around!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    So does Seahorse Aquariums, aren't they supposed to be fantastic though? My main reason for not wanting to buy online is simply financial paranoia :P I dont really like the thoughts of handing over 200 odd quid online for something I might not see for at least a week!

Edit: You can pay for the fish with Pet-Bliss online, you have to go collect them though!
    I know, it's not ideal, but most fish are imported anyway, so once they're couriered it's usually okay. One of the best show standard goldfish suppliers send fish worth hundreds to thousands around the world, via courier.

I presume since they require you to contact them first that they must arrange some specific type of shipping.

Yeah, you don't want wire floors :(
    Could put some coroplast bases in on top of the wires? Lot of messing about though, and also the waiting!

Time to dig out the phonebook and call around!

I'd prefer to see any live animal in person before I'd buy it, suppose it's just a hangup I have.

I also remember that years ago about five years ago they shipped without any checks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Meirleach

I don't think they post em out though, or at least the website says:

"Live Fish must be collected

from Wicklow (no delivery available)"

I'd prefer to see any live animal in person before I'd buy it, suppose it's just a hangup I have.

I also remember that years ago about five years ago they shipped without any checks.

Yeah they dont ship them, so I imagine its for experienced fish owners who know what they need and want to make sure the fish are in stock before they go to collect. I myself wouldnt have fish delivered unless it was from the chippy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I got a fantastic explorer on donedeal for our rats, have you tried there?

Maxi zoo Carlow had big explorer type cages when I was in last, not sure of make but close on €300.
    I paid 130 for my cage and its perfect, and if you are a member post in the irish rat club forum for info on what places stock them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Maybe try online at zooplus not sure if they are cheaper, haven't checked, but they are worth it generally for the price when it comes to larger cages and you can always send it back if you're not happy with it.

Ideally don't buy from any pet shop that sells unsuitable cages like round cages for birds etc. so you're not supporting pet shops that sell miserabley small hutches etc.

Maybe try online at zooplus not sure if they are cheaper, haven't checked, but they are worth it generally for the price when it comes to larger cages and you can always send it back if you're not happy with it.

Ideally don't buy from any pet shop that sells unsuitable cages like round cages for birds etc. so you're not supporting pet shops that sell miserabley small hutches etc.

I tried boycotting any shops that sold goldfish bowls or small unfiltered tanks, or small hutches etc, its nearly impossible :(

I tried boycotting any shops that sold goldfish bowls or small unfiltered tanks, or small hutches etc, its nearly impossible :(

What's even worse (tied to my post a while back about a suitable petshop in the North East that sells fish and equipment) is that all my local pet shops not only sell overly-small and cramped living spaces for pets, but they have sickly looking and badly cared for puppies and kittens in the shops as well. It puts me off buying from them, but since I have an elderly dog and two disabled middle-aged ratties, I've often got no choice but to run to the nearest pet shop.

I've looked at Done Deal and Adverts.ie, but there is nothing suitable within a reasonable distance (was looking for aquariums as well) and the money we'd be out on petrol to and from them would equate to buying a brand new one anyway :confused:

Aww, poor middle aged ratties!

Is the cage for them? Did you have any luck with Maxizoo?

I definitely think selling live animals should have tighter controls, especially dogs, cats and rabbits, when shelters are full of them :/

I bought mice from various pet shops, they were either hopping with fleas or had various illnesses, they've racked up some serious vet bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I started to buy my dog food in a hardware shop (one that doesn't sell pets), zooplus I go to for any big items and then Maxi Zoo if I'm really stuck although they do sell pets in some shops but have seen them in one shop so far and the animals were kept way better than any other pet shop I've seen so far. Not ideal but hopefully one day people will only be able to buy from reputable breeders or rescue.

I bought my tiels cage from zooplus, a lot cheaper and it's perfect had it a very years now and he loves it, it's big enough so that if for instance I had to go away for a day or two (with someone feeding him etc.) there's enough room for him to mince about in it without getting bored, it's on castors (if getting a large rat cage I highly recommend casters they're so handy).
    The shiney lock on the top of the outside of the cage is his girlfriend..must be the reflection but he loves that lock..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

When I was shopping for ratty accommodation, none of the walk-in shops had anything half big enough. I got my Furet Tower XL on Zooplus, it was great value and it's ideal for ratties. Be warned though it is HUGE! Don't do what I did, and assemble it in the living room only to discover it won't fit through doors. :P

The Furet Tower is perfect for multiple rats. I had two in mine and they were in heaven. They wouldn't be losing out if you got two rats a Jenny instead though. It's half the size but still very roomy.

The creme de la creme of rat cages is the Savic Royal Suite - currently on sale on Zooplus!

The Irish Rat Club also have an online forum where you sometimes see second-hand cages for sale. Not sure if I'm allowed put up a link but if you google it you should find it.

Also if you join the Fancy Rats Forum there is a great section on housing with reviews of all the different cage options. :)

Going to be waiting until pay day before I make any decisions! But I imagine we will take a spin to Maxizoo and give it a look. Shadow needs a new collar and tag, and the ratties need more food so it's a pet shop I need to be going to soon!
    Zoidberg is deaf and Lemmiwinks is blind (from birth, again another pet-shop disaster) but they lead each other about pretty well. Z will lead Lemm to treats I put in to the cage (unless it's ham or biscuits, she runs with them then :p ) and Lemmiwinks always lets Z know if Im coming toward the cage. I'd love something bigger for them to get a bit more independence from each other :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

If you're still looking, I can definitely help you out on this one.

I've got 12 rats split into two groups of six (one group of boys and one of girls) so I know the need for large cages.

If you would like a slightly cheaper version of the Critter Nation, they sell this one on Zooplus http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/chinchilla_cages/157454

I've talked to people who keep their rats in it and they all said it's really good. On the site there should be an option near the picture to view other customers photos of the cage in use, that can often give you a good idea of what it will realistically be like with animals living in it.

I decided to pay extra and get a real critter nation. I bought mine in Pet Mania, who also stock large FOP cages for chinchillas that are well big enough for up to six rats, but aren't as easy to clean or hang toys and hammocks inside. It's up to you, it's about 150 for the white FOP chinchilla cage (I used to have my rats in it) but it's not owner friendly.

If you go to your nearest Pet Mania they can usually order the Critter Nation in, 199 for a single and 299 for a double. The critter nation is much easier to clean and hang toys and beds in, it also makes it harder for the rats to climb out if you leave their door open while you're feeding them or anything, as it's elevated off the ground. There's a little shelf under it to store all their food and unused toys and such.

Good luck with your cage hunting and ratties, they're the greatest pets :3

RossPaws wrote: »
    If you're still looking, I can definitely help you out on this one.

I've got 12 rats split into two groups of six (one group of boys and one of girls) so I know the need for large cages.

If you would like a slightly cheaper version of the Critter Nation, they sell this one on Zooplus http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/chinchilla_cages/157454

I've talked to people who keep their rats in it and they all said it's really good. On the site there should be an option near the picture to view other customers photos of the cage in use, that can often give you a good idea of what it will realistically be like with animals living in it.

I decided to pay extra and get a real critter nation. I bought mine in Pet Mania, who also stock large FOP cages for chinchillas that are well big enough for up to six rats, but aren't as easy to clean or hang toys and hammocks inside. It's up to you, it's about 150 for the white FOP chinchilla cage (I used to have my rats in it) but it's not owner friendly.

If you go to your nearest Pet Mania they can usually order the Critter Nation in, 199 for a single and 299 for a double. The critter nation is much easier to clean and hang toys and beds in, it also makes it harder for the rats to climb out if you leave their door open while you're feeding them or anything, as it's elevated off the ground. There's a little shelf under it to store all their food and unused toys and such.

Good luck with your cage hunting and ratties, they're the greatest pets :3

Yet another pet shop with a really fancy looking website and no stock list on it :p
    Yeah I'd prefer to go into a shop and buy it outright than ordering online. I know Zooplus is perfectly safe, but there's a lot more reassurance in handing over 250 euro in a shop and getting an item and a receipt than handing over 270 euro online with your card, and getting nothing but an email :rolleyes:
    They're very, very explorative and the current cage was fine when they got floor time for three hours a day, but now that I have the family dog, that's just too risky - they only get an hour when OH is home to watch the dog, and I can tell they're restless come night time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The only suitably-sized cage I saw in Maxi Zoo was crap. Wooden platforms that are gonna get soaked with ratty pee and stink!

Can I just say I do find zooplus very good, I've ordered large rabbit hutches and runs from them, I had an issue with one of the runs and emailed them to say it wouldn't go together, they were back to me within minutes offering to send another one or give me a refund (and I could keep the broken one).

Turns out I was just putting it together wrong :)

Did you have any luck with Maxizoo?

Can I just say I do find zooplus very good, I've ordered large rabbit hutches and runs from them, I had an issue with one of the runs and emailed them to say it wouldn't go together, they were back to me within minutes offering to send another one or give me a refund (and I could keep the broken one).

Turns out I was just putting it together wrong :)

Did you have any luck with Maxizoo?

Our car decided it was her time to go, so unfortunately finances are on hold! OH said he saw a few suitable ones in the (not sure if its the name) Little Shop Of Horrors in Wicklow, but he didnt get to see the price. Hopefully we will have something for them really soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Yet another pet shop with a really fancy looking website and no stock list on it
    Yeah I'd prefer to go into a shop and buy it outright than ordering online. I know Zooplus is perfectly safe, but there's a lot more reassurance in handing over 250 euro in a shop and getting an item and a receipt than handing over 270 euro online with your card, and getting nothing but an email
    They're very, very explorative and the current cage was fine when they got floor time for three hours a day, but now that I have the family dog, that's just too risky - they only get an hour when OH is home to watch the dog, and I can tell they're restless come night time

I hate that too. They never list their products on the website, yet they fill it up with other crap that's irrelevant to most of their casual customers. Still, if there's a Pet Mania near you it might be worth a look. They can be really good with their selection of rodent cages, though I only ever go to the one in Santry.

Have you checked around Donedeal and gumtree? Sometimes people are practically giving away large cages just to get rid of them. They can take up a lot of space once your pets are gone.

Good luck anyway, do tell if you find a good one! ;)

RossPaws wrote: »
    I hate that too. They never list their products on the website, yet they fill it up with other crap that's irrelevant to most of their casual customers. Still, if there's a Pet Mania near you it might be worth a look. They can be really good with their selection of rodent cages, though I only ever go to the one in Santry.

Have you checked around Donedeal and gumtree? Sometimes people are practically giving away large cages just to get rid of them. They can take up a lot of space once your pets are gone.

Good luck anyway, do tell if you find a good one! ;)

Not having much luck on Gumtree, had one offered to me and just happened that after I added her on Facebook to talk more of it, someone else came in and advised me not to take it, it's a very deceptive cage and badly rusted! We're keeping an eye out, even for parrot cages, because I imagine once the bar spacing is small, they're just as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Hi OP!

This is the melbourne from Maxi Zoo, bought it on offer for 149 if I remember rightly, not sure of the full price cost. This is a picture of the one they had set up in their store for their pet rats.
    480867_4416372920297_1729485721_n.jpg

They also do one called the sydney which is on offer in their christmas flier (got the flier in the shop today :)) This one has a removable divider and comes with or without the stand.
    vogel-kleintier-oder-nager-more4birds-voliere-sydney-more4birds-1-l.jpg

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I had rats when I was an impoverished student, so I couldn't afford a giant cage. I used a large plastic box as a base, and bought a large cage for about €70. I threw out the shallow base that came with that cage, and attached it to the plastic base instead. Then I added a collection of other smaller cages, including a particularly attractive birdcage that my grandmother donated and the gerbil cages I had had as a child. There was a bit of messing about with wirecutters and pliers, but the result was impressive. I think there were seven levels altogether, of varying sizes. I used cardboard (easy to get, cheap to replace every week or so) to protect their feet from the wires on the upper levels, and connected everything together with rope ladders and those loofah things as staircases.
    The bit I was most pleased with was the litter for the base. I used to get big bags of peat moss in garden centers, and I would put about six inches in the bottom of the plastic box. It worked brilliantly. It absorbs odours, which is a bonus too. Whenever I cleaned out the cage and changed the peat moss the rats would spend a day and a night digging and exploring. To keep them busy I used to hide treats in it for them. I found out later that wood shavings are a bad idea as it can cause respiratory problems, so I was extra smug.
    My rats really didn't spend much time in the cage, but I never felt bad if I had to "lock them up," even if it was for a couple of days. I felt they had enough space and plenty of interesting bits and pieces to keep them busy.
    Whenever I moved house, the way students do, I moved the rats into one of the cages, and the other cages nested together quite nicely for easy transport. Looking back, those were good times...

• Advertisement
Advertisement