Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling to Australia via Thailand. cash needed?

Options
  • 11-11-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, me and one of my friends are planning to move to oz on a one year working visa in April next year. We're also going to stop off in Thailand first for 3 -4 weeks. Just wondering if anyone could advise how much cash we will need? Thailand will be just on the p*ss for A month and then when we get to oz we will probably take a few weeks off before we start work. We won't be staying in any fancy places in oz probably just hostel it until we find a place to live. I have €5000 saved up just wondering if that's enough money? Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

More info is required 1878 -sorry!

How far do you need that 5k to stretch? Do you need it to include your international flights, your visa fees, travel insurance and spending money in Thailand?

Or do you mean you'll have 5k when you land in Australia?

If you have that landing in AU, then you'll be fine.

If you need it to include all the rest then you haven't a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Australia is expensive for visitors due to the present exchange rate, I have paid A$12 for a pint of beer in some cities and A$22 for 25 cigarettes. So choose your destination wisely.

smurfjed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

This is way out of date info but for what it's worth 7 years ago my wife and I spent 5 months in SE asia, two months of which were in Thailand. I was able to keep a good record of what we spent by the withdrawals from our banks accounts. In that time we each spent €3,500 each, that included food, accommodation and trips. We could have spent a lot less using dorms but we were flashpackers rather than backpackers.
    Then we left SE Asia and arrived in Australia. We spent as much in three weeks as we had in 5 months in SE Asia and that was with a weaker Aus dollar.
    My advice would be do your chillin in Asia and get job hunting the minute you touch down in Aus unless you've got free accommodation.
    Edit to add: we were tourists in Australia so we weren't trying to save cash and we were really relieved to get to NZ as our funds went a lot further there.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Me and the Gf spent 4000 each in Thailand last year we lived it up but still the local beer works out about 2.50 each and we were staying in 30-40 hotels per night
    Even staying in crap cheap hostels it will be 10-15 a night.

Oz is ridiculous for spending min rent will be 150 a week a night out about 120+ and these are cheap prices

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I say you Will drop a $1000 in Thailand anyway . Maybe more if youre in to the ladyboys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Spudj2

I'm Doing this myself in January - I have already paid for my Visa and flights ..... We are Budgeting 2k euro for Thailand - this 2k is for 20 nights accomadation and internal flights e.g Bankok to Koh Samui , koh Samui to Phuket & Phuket - Bankok ... It will also include our spending money ( drinking money ) !!!

From what I've heard 2k will be loads ( u could probably do it for 1.5k

The plan is to have 2.5k -3k for Australia... We are fortunate to have free accomadation until we get ourselves sorted ... But still hope to be working with 10 days of arriving !

I should be able to provide more info in Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

i landed in oz with $7000 , il be honest i blew 3 grand in the first two weeks silly i know but i was fortunate to start working after a week, but if i didnt get work that early i would have been on a flight home after a month lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Might not be the same as I went on a holiday, but in 4 weeks in Oz with free accommodation and meals cooked most days (was staying with family) I dropped €3k. I would be unsure of how far that €5k will get you if you're hoping it will cover you for 4 weeks in Thailand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

I spent a month in Thailand before Oz last year and spent €2,500 - that was spent on flights, hotels (coz they're cheap) and alcohol &food. I arrived in Perth with $9,000 and after 2weeks in Western Australia, I was down to $5,000 - dont ask me where it went!! We didnt start working till 3months later (we wanted to travel abit first) but if your planning on working as soon as you arrive, I'd keep the €5,000 for Oz and maybe save abit more for Thailand :)

Advertisement