Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of flying

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

not yet wrote: »
    How does that work if you crash into the sea.

you swim, and if you listen to the person in the middle of the plane aisle telling you how to react, that also can help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I've flown a lot but this one time I was flying to Charlotte and one of the movies was air crash investigation . Wtf like
    Hahah I've been trying to find that on the entertainment system for years!
    I love it and I wanna see how many people around me will **** themselves when I watch it on the plane

I love flying, you wouldn't believe how safe flying is at the moment. The chances of crashing is vanishing. Only thing I hate is that I get a headache everytime I get on a plane so I've to take paracetamol right after take off..which sucks cos I want to be a pilot :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

[Quote=Hippies!; I don't know why you're so worried about flying over icebergs though considering the temperature outside the plane for most of your journey will be -100C .[/Quote]
    Ha, just remembered when titanic came out, didn't want to go the ferry to Wales for fear of icebergs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

not yet wrote: »
    How does that work if you crash into the sea.

Crashing into the sea is still a very forceful event and it can tear the plane apart violently. It would still be the safest place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Don't go to sleep at 6pm you'll feck up your sleep pattern. Hang on til nine or ten if you can :)

Yeah I was thinking of hanging on till then meself. Dunno I guess if I go to sleep at 6pm I'll be able to get away from the in-laws early before they all start drinking and mocking my poverty stricken self again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Hippies! wrote: »
    You'll be fine Op, they've air marshals nowadays so if you panic and people think you're a terrorist they'll probably shoot you. I don't know why you're so worried about flying over icebergs though considering the temperature outside the plane for most of your journey will be -100C but of course you're in a pressurized container which they heat for you as long as it isn't Ryanair so everything will be fine and dandy just like the 1000's of other planes that will be hurting along at 600 miles an hour over the Atlantic that day narrowly avoiding each other thanks to some guy in a tower somewhere looking at dots on a screen, one thing that guy can't see though are the millions of birds that could blow out an engine at any second on a flight. That would kinda suck.

Birds don't occupy the jetstream, there's a distinct lack of oxygen that high. Taking off and landing though, thats when birds can get you, especially geese, just ask Sully Sullenberger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Birds don't occupy the jetstream, there's a distinct lack of oxygen that high. Taking off and landing though, thats when birds can get you, especially geese, just ask Sully Sullenberger

Oh yea, oxygen and stuff. Yea so really what you're saying is that even if you take off a-ok and the flights going smoothly, you can't relax really because the landing could easily kill you...like if a goose doesn't wreck an engine, the landing gear could fail for example. That's 7 hours tension right there thinking about that on-route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Your chances of dying on a plane are very very low. Having said that - there's a boatload of reasons planes go down:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=air+crash+investigation&oq=air+crash+investigation&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.2262.7870.0.8052.25.8.1.16.16.0.61.429.8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.uEPqfZF0sFg

I am returning to Ireland next week. I need to take 2 long hauls over an 18 hour period. Often, near the end of such a flight, I pray for death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

1ZRed wrote: »
    Crashing into the sea is still a very forceful event and it can tear the plane apart violently. It would still be the safest place to be.

No. No it wouldn't. Most water crashes will kill everyone on board. It's much harder to crash land safely on water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Run to the hills told me that it's actually impossible for a plane to accidentally crash. Apparently is CIA control all the airline companies in the world and crash planes carrying left wing political figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I've flown a lot but this one time I was flying to Charlotte and one of the movies was air crash investigation . Wtf like

Watching "Air Crash Investigations" actually makes me more confident of flying. Most crashes have a number of avoidable causes and with each episode I think, "well, that's one less thing to worry about when flying"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I don't really suffer with fear of flying but I sympathize with those who do .I tend to use my own physiology were I just pretend that I'm off to the bus terminal and might have to hang around a bit longer than usual to board and then when actually in the air , it's just the bus belting down the motorway ...

( sticks nose further into book )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I've heard these theories before that the safest place to sit in a plane in the event of a crash in just before the wing.

I think nowhere is safe to sit on a plane.

No it's definitely down the back, when was the last time you heard of a plane reversing into a mountain. :pac:

I have no fear of flying, it's crashing that scares the crap out of me.

Confab wrote: »
    No. No it wouldn't. Most water crashes will kill everyone on board. It's much harder to crash land safely on water.

Reminds me of this episode of ACI (I wasn't lying when I said I watched every episode compulsively)

RustyNut wrote: »
    No it's definitely down the back, when was the last time you heard of a plane reversing into a mountain. :pac:.

It depends, if the plane crashes into a mountain then yeah being at the back is better. But if the plane goes on fire on the runway then you want to be near the front to get out the doors quicker, being down the back your more likely to die from smoke inhalation.

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    Watching "Air Crash Investigations" actually makes me more confident of flying. Most crashes have a number of avoidable causes and with each episode I think, "well, that's one less thing to worry about when flying"

After watching dozens of EP's of ACI, I have never had a lower opinion of air travel. I am almost convinced the fact that aerospace engineers are badasses seems to be the only reason planes don't fall out of the air any more than they already do. As with everything else, it relies on human interaction and the human condition. And all of us on AH know how well that goes some times. ;)

The good thing is if you crash, you'll likely die and rarely be maimed.

RustyNut wrote: »

No it's definitely down the back, when was the last time you heard of a plane reversing into a mountain. :pac:

I have no fear of flying, it's crashing that scares the crap out of me.
    It all depends on the nature of the crash. The back would be safer for crashes into mountains like the Japan Airlines 747SR that crashed into the side of a mountain leaving 4 alive, all seated at the back. That said, many survivors died before rescue services arrived.

But I think the wing section is safer in some crashes because the body is built stronger there and it's reinforced because it has to support the wings. If you were in a plane that had a crash landing on a runway or in a sea, the middlle would be safer.

So unless you know what kind of a crash you're going to have and have enough time to relocate to a suitable crash position, there's nothing you can do about your position in the flight

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It all depends on the nature of the crash. The back would be safer for crashes into mountains like the Japan Airlines 747SR that crashed into the side of a mountain leaving 4 alive, all seated at the back. That said, many survivors died before rescue services arrived.

But I think the wing section is safer in some crashes because the body is built stronger there and it's reinforced because it has to support the wings.

So unless you know what kind of a crash you're going to have and have enough time to relocate to a suitable crash position, there's nothing you can do about your position in the flight

The pilots are in pretty much the most vulnerable part of a plane so its in their interests to do everything they can to make it not crash.

The pilots are in pretty much the most vulnerable part of a plane so its in their interests to do everything they can to make it not crash.
    True, at least one pilot dies in most big crashes and most of the time they're just victims of poor maintenance, poor ATC, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Funny thing about people phobic about flying (and I'm one of them!) is that they rarely give pause for thought for others (family, friends etc) going off on flights. No begging or pleading with them not to go off on their respective flights, no imagined worst-case-scenario-wings-falling-off-the-plane incidents in store for them. Of course they'll come back unscathed! Pretty revealing really...

Self-preservation. It's instinctive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I'm flying to America next week and really stressed out about it. I've never been afraid of flying before but suddenly I'm dreading a 7 hour flight over the icebergs this time around. I was never afraid last time. I've been taken these panic attacks recently and I keep thinking ''what if I am going to take a panic attack on the plane and they all freak out and think I'm a terrorist'' :eek::o

Anyone else here have a fear of flying? I remember my first ever flight EVER. I was terrified. Especially more terrified half ways through the flight when reading my Bob Dylan book to be notified that the engines on the right wing had failed. :eek:

Probably nothing compared to some of your stories.

Youre gonna die.

That's right, you're gonna die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I find that plenty booze before during and after a long flight usually calms the nerves.:D

Please Note: This may impede your exit from the aircraft if you actually do have a crash and probably reduce your survival rate.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Like the Horslips.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Youre gonna die.

That's right, you're gonna die.

Of course he's going to die, we're all going to die.

Someday ;)

Of course he's going to die, we're all going to die.

Someday ;)

Especially if I have my way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Lapin wrote: »
    Sit at the back of the plane OP.

If it crashes into a mountain or one of those icebergs you mentioned, you'll be the last one to snuff it.

Or alternatively die the slowest at the back.

The largest single plane crash was into a mountain, the ones at the front died instantly. The only survivors were at the back and most of those who did survive the impact at the back, died in the cold of the night awaiting rescue instead.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Love flying and about to catch a flight soon, in dubai airport gate 22b if anybody wants to say hi

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Love flying and about to catch a flight soon, in dubai airport gate 22b if anybody wants to say hi

Hi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Are you the lady with the head scarf beside me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I used to love flying and have now developed a hatred of it. I still do it because i love going places but i really dislike it.

I have two things i try to do before every flight.

1) Stay up late. Possibly drinking so that when I get on the plane I'm nwrecked and fall asleep.

2) Pop into my GP and get a prescription for something like zanax. It's irregular enough that my GP just hands ot over. And i spend a flight in a blissful haze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

I'm petrified of flying but I've never really let it stop me travelling anywhere....I use a few coping strategies.

Statistically, if you were to take a flight every day for the rest of eternity, it would be 26,000 years before you were involved in a plane-crash, and, you'd probably survive.

That, and valium. Plenty of valium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Chance are slim of anything going wrong, I fly a lot and have never have had an issue. I am more scared of driving, I wouldn't be able to count the amount of accidents I have driven by and I've also had a few near misses.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Are you the lady with the head scarf beside me?

Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I have a fear of flying too, its pretty bad, cold sweats, feel like every noise or jerk is the plane falling apart or crashing. I still bear through it, i just force myself.

I thought doing a skydive @ 14000 ft would get me over my fear, I did the jump....

I'm still afraid of flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I realy hate flying.Cars or motorbikes break down they stop.A plane breaks down it falls 30,000+feet and then stops.No thanks.

can only get on a plane with a few drinks and after necking a load of valium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Overflow wrote: »
    I have a fear of flying too, its pretty bad, cold sweats, feel like every noise or jerk is the plane falling apart or crashing. I still bear through it, i just force myself.

I thought doing a skydive @ 14000 ft would get me over my fear, I did the jump....

I'm still afraid of flying.

Next time try it without a parachute, I guarantee that you'll never experience fear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

I'm flying to America next week and really stressed out about it. I've never been afraid of flying before but suddenly I'm dreading a 7 hour flight over the icebergs this time around. I was never afraid last time. I've been taken these panic attacks recently and I keep thinking ''what if I am going to take a panic attack on the plane and they all freak out and think I'm a terrorist'' :eek::o

Anyone else here have a fear of flying? I remember my first ever flight EVER. I was terrified. Especially more terrified half ways through the flight when reading my Bob Dylan book to be notified that the engines on the right wing had failed. :eek:

Probably nothing compared to some of your stories.

See posts #160 and #170 by PK2008. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056401090&page=11

Advertisement