Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst injury you've got playing football?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

tearing my groin in several places (I'm never going back to those places again! BADUM) was horrendous. Started out as a niggle. Then got more and more uncomfortable as the weeks went on and I kept on playing. By the end I could barely walk and trying to do so nearly reduced me to tears. Horrendous. The physio for it was fcuking horrible too.

Only other serious injury was torn ankle ligaments (took a shot, landed, went right over on the ankle) which required being in a cast for a fortnight. And I had my eyebrow split open at underage level going for a header and getting caught by an elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I had a couple of minor ones.
    A few years ago broke a bone in my hand after colliding with an opposing player inside the 1st 20 minutes. I played on the rest of the match, but the next day it was pretty sore.
    Before that was out of action for a few weeks with a nasty cut on the foot. I was about to shoot & opposing player puts in a block tackle and split the boot and needed 5 stitches on the instep ( thats why I hated blades on boots :D)
    Most recently was my worst injury. I was running of a ball went down in a heap. I gave some F@$%s out to the defender. He said he never touched me. It turned out it was a ruptured Achilles. I had surgery 4 weeks ago and I'm now half way through the recovery process. I'm not sure if I will go back playing yet. It will be at least Feb before I can do any serious running :(.
    ( Anyone looking for boots. I have 2 pairs, One is brand new (FG), the other used 4 times (SG) :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

barone wrote: »
    pretty sure ive arthritis in a few fingers from playin football manager on laptop ,without using a mouse.

.it counts.
    True story

I actually had to go to hospital after a marathon FM session.
    Sitting down playing for hours, stood up, head rush, fell and cracked my head off the desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Did my cruciate. Really awful injury to get, I can sympathize with the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Broke my tib & fib in a rough challenge. It was horrific. Went to get up and my leg buckled under me, like an L. Had corrective surgery to place a pin through the tibia. Was on crutches for 6 months and had to drop out of college for the year. Made a full recovery thank god.

I am very squeamish now as a result and if there is any sort of dodgy tackle or someone fall's awkwardly I have to look away. Colin Healy broke his leg a few days after I did mine and I nearly got sick when I seen it in the paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Broke my tib & fib in a rough challenge. It was horrific. Went to get up and my leg buckled under me, like an L. Had corrective surgery to place a pin through the tibia. Was on crutches for 6 months and had to drop out of college for the year. Made a full recovery thank god.

I am very squeamish now as a result and if there is any sort of dodgy tackle or someone fall's awkwardly I have to look away. Colin Healy broke his leg a few days after I did mine and I nearly got sick when I seen it in the paper!

Exactly what I broke. Find out if need operation in an hour. Praying I don't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Playing at a decent level as a 16 year old, turned with the ball and my foot stuck in the turf as the rest of my body turned. Broke my knee cap in two and dislocated it, landed full body weight on my arm and shattered my elbow and upper arm into pieces and had to have it reset.

Been plagued by recurring knee injuries ever since

Ha! I thought of you as soon as i saw this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

joe123 wrote: »
    This too. A year and a half on, I'm still worried about doing it again.

How's it all going in general mate? I was nervous as hell at first but I've just finished a full season without a missing a game or training session because of any injury.

It's all about confidence really - the first tackle, the first shot where the weight is on the 'bad' leg etc, but you just have to get stuck. If you've done the rehab your whole body in general will be stronger so just think of it that overall you're better off now than before you did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

EdenHazard wrote: »

Best of luck pal. Was a scary time in hospital waiting for the op. So zonked out of it on Morphine it was all a blur. A couple of quiet months for you with the leg up, you'll be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How's it all going in general mate? I was nervous as hell at first but I've just finished a full season without a missing a game or training session because of any injury.

It's all about confidence really - the first tackle, the first shot where the weight is on the 'bad' leg etc, but you just have to get stuck. If you've done the rehab your whole body in general will be stronger so just think of it that overall you're better off now than before you did it!

Yeah not bad, was going great gym wise but started a new job with random shift hours so fell back on it a bit which hasn't helped the pysche! Missed most of our second season (partly due to working on most Sundays we played which was a pain) but started getting 20-45 minutes under the belt towards the end of the season and after the initial first few minutes Id forget about it.

My first touch of the ball after the injury and I was clattered by a lumbering centre back. Probably best thing that could of happened as I got up straight away and felt fine.

Still get the odd pain in it though but have been playing now without issue be it matches/training/astro so Im looking forward to next season plus Sundays off at work anymore :D

I'l probably always have that bit of fear before a match/training though.

Worst thing about the injury is that it doesn't require a bad tackle, simply a quick turn and it could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Bursitis on my right hip, similar to Roy Keane. I've always had bad hips, but I twisted my knee a couple of years ago and also knocked the hip out. I'm due to have surgery before Christmas. I havent played in about 3 months and will probably be a year out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

EdenHazard wrote: »

Best of luck. If you do need surgery they will rebuild you :)
    Best of luck pal. Was a scary time in hospital waiting for the op. So zonked out of it on Morphine it was all a blur. A couple of quiet months for you with the leg up, you'll be grand!

Yeah its weird alright waiting to go in to theatre. I was in a prep area where your surrounded by nurses putting monitors, IV drips, etc.
    They gave me an Epidural (very weird having the needle inserted) and a sedative. When I woke up about 90 mins later in the recovery area I asked when is my surgery. They said "oh your finished". It seemed like I was asleep for 5 mins :D.
    Its a weird sensation waiting for the feeling to come back to your lower body :eek:. The morphine makes you pretty sick. I got sick a couple of times post OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Compete rupture of my left ACL last year due the operation this month on the medical card....Have many people here had there ACL re built?If so how long more after the surgery does it take too get back playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Im gona be bottling out of every challenge for the next while after reading this thread!:eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Broken tibula in two places and dislocated ankle in my right leg.
    Hairline fracture on my shin on left leg.
    Fractured my eye socket.
    Two small fractures in my lower back.
    6 stitches just under my eye.
    Cartilage surgery on my left knee.

Apart from that I've been quite lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

:eek: Seriously, all from playing football?!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    :eek: Seriously, all from playing football?!
    I'm afraid so. I've since retired. I think you can understand why.

Yes, yes I can. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

amiable wrote: »
    Broken tibula in two places and dislocated ankle in my right leg.
    Hairline fracture on my shin on left leg.
    Fractured my eye socket.
    Two small fractures in my lower back.
    6 stitches just under my eye.
    Cartilage surgery on my left knee.

Apart from that I've been quite lucky

Welcome to boards Mr Diaby.

keano_afc wrote: »

Welcome to boards Mr Diaby.
    Diaby has mostly muscle injuries?

I rarely had muscle injuries. Just a little unlucky in contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I dislocated my SI joints after colliding with the post and hitting the deck making a save a few years ago. Had no movement from the waist down. Frightened the bejaysus out of me. Ambulance had to come to the pitch and I was strapped to a spinal board and carted off to hospital.

Nothing showed up on xrays and docs couldnt see what was wrong so they propped me up against the wall and told me to go home ... even though I couldnt move!

Ended up getting mates to collect me,lift me into car and next day brought me to physio. Took about a week to get any movement back and then they eventually popped back into place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm afraid so. I've since retired. I think you can understand why.

I dont feel so bad now, but it is amazing whe written down all the knocks, lumps, bumps and breaks one can get when trying to enjoy the game you love.

But in the end the time off work was the real reason I had to give it up. Oh and it's not easy trying to run after a couple of kids when you're crocked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Never really get injured (awaits an injury), only my ankle swells up like a turnip if I go over on it or i get a kick. So it hasn't happened this year.

Also I only ever get a cramp in my left calf, which is also very painful but wierd its only that one, never got it checked out. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Tore my ankle ligaments going up for a header and rolling the ankle when I came down. Small op, in a cast for 6 weeks and then physio. To whoever said that the calf kept seizing afterwards is right. It stopped after a while though. I put it down to running weird for a while after coming back, afraid to put any weight on the ankle.

Tore my ACL, I think, outside of football a few years later.That was the end for me. It has never been properly operated on but my knee feels like there is absolutely no support all along the inside and around the back, like it could go at any minute. It buckled under me in a pub on holidays a couple of months ago and ballooned out again.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Compete rupture of my left ACL last year due the operation this month on the medical card....Have many people here had there ACL re built?If so how long more after the surgery does it take too get back playing?

Write off a year, probably 18 months until you get up to match speed.

Cannot stress enough how important it is to do your rehab as told by your physio. Neglecting it will blow out your recovery time even further. If you follow your programme, you'll come back a better player but if you don't you might as well pack the whole thing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nobody done their Cruciate then eh? Was expecting few of these here, but not one(dont think)

Lucky us.:D

ACL is a cruciate? Xavi did his. MrMac did his in too.

Never trust the "find" option again button.

ACL = Anterior Cruciate Ligament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Pretty much what Xavi said. Make sure you do alot of gym work before the operation too. I was told by both physio and surgeon that because I had built my legs up so much before hand that it really helped my recovery.

Lad I played with though was a different story. Didnt do any work before hand and attempted to go back training after three months, needless to say he is still having major problems and suspected he re did his ACL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Scored a goal a few years ago in an u-16 league game. I clipped it over the goalie and as he came out I fell over his body and popped my AC joint in my shoulder..didnt sleep for days..was out of all sports for months..all from scoring a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

macslash wrote: »
    Scored a goal a few years ago in an u-16 league game. I clipped it over the goalie and as he came out I fell over his body and popped my AC joint in my shoulder..didnt sleep for days..was out of all sports for months..all from scoring a goal!
    if u popped an AC joint would u have to come off imediately from the game?
    i know someone who "claimed" they dislocated there AC joint & played on

How painful is the ACL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thorn hamstring when I was 16.

Most of the back of my leg was purple after a few hours. Went to physio the next day and got a few sessions, not cheap either, I was lucky it was one fo the last few games of the season so I had a few months to recover fully.

Nothing before or since it, luckily.

You were lucky. I pulled/tore it last year 45 minutes into the new season on the 18th of September (I'll never forget the day or the pain :P). I was banging the goals in in pre-season and had finally nailed down my starting place on the team. Then I went for one sprint and it went.

Tried to come back too soon and it went again. Eventually I went to the physio. Took about 5/6 weeks out. Came back and pulled it again. Had to hide it from my mother which wasn't easy.

I started training on it in late January. Made my first appearance some time in February. Got 10 minutes at the end. It was enough. I managed to score a scissors kick from the edge of the box. Think Ibrahimovic in the Euros :pac:.

5 months I was out for.

Was so nervous running after that. I'm confident enough running now and can pretty much run full pelt. I was flying in pre-season this year until I got knocked back by shin splints. That's for another day though.

I think of David Busst when I think of this thread.

ouch.

I was flying in pre-season this year until I got knocked back by shin splints. That's for another day though.

Shin splints are work of the devil. I had it in both legs and it was so bad I had to go down the stairs on my arse at home. And out in the public, I'd have to grin and bare the pain.

I got orthotics but they only helped a little. The few months rest from the torn muscle in my toe has reduced the inflammation considerably. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Shin splints are work of the devil. I had it in both legs and it was so bad I had to go down the stairs on my arse at home. And out in the public, I'd have to grin and bare the pain.

I got orthotics but they only helped a little. The few months rest from the torn muscle in my toe has reduced the inflammation considerably. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that...

Yea I can't wear my orthotics when playing ball. They're too wide to fit in my boots. Tried them one day and couldn't last past the warm up. The feet were cut off me. It's not ideal, and I should be wearing them, but it's alright for the moment.

Haven't done a tap since I left for college. I went to one Gaelic Football training and that's it. Running for the train doesn't really count.

Really should try to get fit again but I've so much work to do I haven't the time.

How painful is the ACL?

The initial pop is excruciating but mine didn't swell so after a day or two I was walking around fine. Within weeks I was able to run again which is why I was misdiagnosed as only badly straining my ligaments.

The op itself takes 45 minutes and you're knocked out which is great. The first two weeks afterwards is on crutches, some of that time in a splint, and you're on very strong prescription painkillers.

After two weeks it's ok to walk on, after four weeks you can drive, and after eight you can jog short distances (roughly).

I'm almost two years after my op and I still get pains through the knee but they aren't anything to worry about really and I'm playing competitively every week.

I'm almost two years after my op and I still get pains through the knee but they aren't anything to worry about really and I'm playing competitively every week.

Does it still play on your mind though that it could happen when you are playing?

When I dislocated my kneecap I was fine. But when it happened again for me I was never right for some time. Was always in back my mind after that.

• Advertisement

Does it still play on your mind though that it could happen when you are playing?

When I dislocated my kneecap I was fine. But when it happened again for me I was never right for some time. Was always in back my mind after that.

It did at first but I was always the type of player to dive into a tackle and think about it later so I didn't lose that mentality which was a massive help.

I did my right knee and can play off both sides so the hardest thing to sort mentally was shooting or passing long range with my left foot when all the body weight was going on the operated knee. After a few weeks I realised there was no stability issue so it was grand.

You can worry about these things but really, your football career is a short one and it killed me being out so while I can physically play I will and just suck up the bad thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

a) broke leg and ankle in one tackle from behind - plate and screws to fix it up... ( very very sore)

b) broke collar bone (very sore)...

c) at various times broke thumb, and different fingers (sore)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Xavi6

Cannot stress enough how important it is to do your rehab as told by your physio. Neglecting it will blow out your recovery time even further. If you follow your programme, you'll come back a better player but if you don't you might as well pack the whole thing in.
    No no im a bit of a swat and if they say too do excersises i will do them!

Joe123
    Pretty much what Xavi said. Make sure you do alot of gym work before the operation too. I was told by both physio and surgeon that because I had built my legs up so much before hand that it really helped my recovery.

Lad I played with though was a different story. Didnt do any work before hand and attempted to go back training after three months, needless to say he is still having major problems and suspected he re did his ACL.

Well im due the op this month but no one has said anything about doing gym work before hand etc!All i was told is NO jogging or running on it by surgeon in the consultation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

It did at first but I was always the type of player to dive into a tackle and think about it later so I didn't lose that mentality which was a massive help.

I did my right knee and can play off both sides so the hardest thing to sort mentally was shooting or passing long range with my left foot when all the body weight was going on the operated knee. After a few weeks I realised there was no stability issue so it was grand.

You can worry about these things but really, your football career is a short one and it killed me being out so while I can physically play I will and just suck up the bad thoughts.

Fair play. I think this is the hardest thing about tears and breaks.

my break still lingers in my head every time contact is made. I've had a few incidents where I've gone down and the first thing i do would be clutch my knee. Ive pulled out of quite a few 50-50's that i wouldnt have pre-break

Yea I can't wear my orthotics when playing ball. They're too wide to fit in my boots. Tried them one day and couldn't last past the warm up. The feet were cut off me. It's not ideal, and I should be wearing them, but it's alright for the moment.

Haven't done a tap since I left for college. I went to one Gaelic Football training and that's it. Running for the train doesn't really count.

Really should try to get fit again but I've so much work to do I haven't the time.

Mine fit all my shoes fine and my boots but if I take a shot, it'll move up the boot a bit which is annoying.
    I've had them since January and only once have I gone without them and I was in bits after it and I was only doing coaching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

MD1990 wrote: »
    if u popped an AC joint would u have to come off imediately from the game?
    i know someone who "claimed" they dislocated there AC joint & played on

Came off immediately ya..it was an away game and all they had was a bag of ice..needless to say I was moody Michael on the bus home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Well im due the op this month but no one has said anything about doing gym work before hand etc!All i was told is NO jogging or running on it by surgeon in the consultation!

I am due to have an operation to reconstruct my ACL and have the medial ligament "shaved" in my right knee. The ACL injury is a few years old and the medial injury happened a couple of months back. I was also told that prehab is one of the best ways to speed up recovery. I joined the gym as soon as I got injured and have been cycling, swimming and doing some squat work to build up my legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Broke my hand and played on. Hard bastard.:D

Other than that various hamstring strains over the past two years since coming back from Oz, more annoying than sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

put my pelvis out of place. Very sore, couldnt jog or run for a month or so, flares up every now and again. Had a spell of it there last week where I couldnt walk for 4 or 5 hours after indoor soccer.

Broke my nose twice and my big toe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Some real horror stories in here :eek:
    I've been getting off lightly, broke all the fingers on one hand and broke a few toes.

put my pelvis out of place.

Me too. That's actually the main reason the muscle in my toe tore. Usually it's hyper extension of the toe that causes it but for me, my left leg was slightly shorter than the right and that meant my toe was stretching more than any other. Eventually it just said, "**** this ****" and tore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement