Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swans

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

I used to live opposite a small lake that had two swans on it.
    Each year after they had cygnets the male (I think) would kill off all of the cygnets bar 2 who would then migrate somewhere when they could fly pretty well.
    I am not sure if this is universal behaviour but it was a bit shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

MadsL wrote: »
    Legal to hunt (and eat) in four US States.
    Attempted swan stealing in Galway city last sabbath (via TheJournal.ie)

http://jrnl.ie/662047

The Bewick Swan is in decline since 2004

What happened in 2004?

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=150
    MadsL wrote: »
    Err. Why? Because they are pretty, or belong to the Queen?

I guess to do with population sizes, pheasant hunting season in New Mexico is exactly one day long. Bad day be a pheasant :)

I bet I could make them taste good.

Mute Swans are native to Ireland, but were introduced into the United States in the early 1900's. As a non-native, pest species it would be legal to hunt them there. Same with Ruddy Ducks (a North American species) in Britain.

Bewick's Swans are declining because the population which formerly wintered in Ireland is now staying in Britain and the Netherlands due to a combination of milder winters and supplementary feeding at some sites (eg Slimbridge).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Swans were responsible for the horrific Lough Key massacre of 2005. :(

Never trust a swan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AFAIK the reason you can't kill and eat them in this country has something to do with The Children of Lir. You're not allowed to eat them because they might be bewitched people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Pigeon's quite nice. You're missing out.

True. But not a mission I'd eat one of those mangy pigeons roaming around Dublin. You know the ones I'm talking about. Walk bowlegged. Seem to subsist on a diet of Johnny Walker Blues and McDonalds. Wears tracksuits.

Wait...

Advertisement