Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money for Xmas in Ireland

Options
  • 12-11-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Heading home for an Irish Xmas and was just wondering how people usually deal with their money at home. Do people transfer money across to Irish accounts or just use their Australian cards? My irish account is actually closed now so it might be a bit of bother to have to get it up and going again now.

Thanks
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll be taking some cash but not too much. I have a platinum credit card that has no overseas transaction fees so I'll be using that as much as possible. Get reward points too so makes sense.

I have an Irish account as well but it'll cost me to get money into it so not much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Easily the cheapest way to move cash is currency fair:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76408971
    But if you don't have a bank account, maybe transfer it to your family account or something.
    Otherwise a currency card is pretty handy and gives you better rates
    and an example would be: http://auspost.com.au/personal/loadandgo-travel-card.html
    (no idea if this is cheapest) but will give you an example.

So just transfer aus cash to this account then you can withdraw cash via atm, or use as a credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Currencyfair is the bees knees!

Rates are great. Takes a couple of days to register and then a couple of days to transfer money so prepare for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimjam1878

If you're with NAB over here get a NAB travel card, no overseas fees and you can set it up there and then and just transfer money into it. Think it costs like $7 to transfer money. I used it when I was home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

jimjam1878 wrote: »
    If you're with NAB over here get a NAB travel card, no overseas fees and you can set it up there and then and just transfer money into it. Think it costs like $7 to transfer money. I used it when I was home.

Do you not get screwed on exchange rate though?
    Transaction fees wouldn't be a big concern for me but I wouldn't touch NABs, or any other major bank/ card company's, exchange rates.

I've transferred my money back to AIB acc via currency fair and I'll just use my AIB card while at home.

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Do you not get screwed on exchange rate though?
    Transaction fees wouldn't be a big concern for me but I wouldn't touch NABs, or any other major bank/ card company's, exchange rates.

I've transferred my money back to AIB acc via currency fair and I'll just use my AIB card while at home.

I wouldn't say 'screwed', even though the rates aren't as good as Currency Fair, my bank offers better than Australia Post, Travelex and other third parties so it's not *that* bad.

Today's is 0.7840 for example so it's about $2 difference for every $100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »

I wouldn't say 'screwed', even though the rates aren't as good as Currency Fair, my bank offers better than Australia Post, Travelex and other third parties so it's not *that* bad.

Today's is 0.7840 for example so it's about $2 difference for every $100.

Yeah, that's ok compared to many rates I see. What bank are you with?

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Yeah, that's ok compared to many rates I see. What bank are you with?

Bankwest

In comparison -

ANZ - 0.7759
    Westpac - 0.7731
    Commonwealth - 0.7744
    NAB - 0.7731

So yeah it's very good against the big four.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Thanks guys. I think the best idea will be to transfer into an irish account and just withdraw - cheers :)

Advertisement