Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely City

Options
  • 12-11-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't travelled to Dublin in quite some time but today I went on a return-trip and just want to say what a lovely time I had in Dublin City.

Every person I encountered were lovely, every single one. I must've looked like I knew where I was going though because I was asked on 4 occasions for directions but could only assist with 1 as the other 3 times, I just did not know!

The city looked clean and was buzzing! There were 5 security guards at Heuston on arrival, at every Luas-stop I either got off or on at I met at least 2 more security, their was hi-visibility by the guards too in patrol-cars and on-foot. Definitely sending a message. I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday or if that much security is visible at other days too, but it was re-assuring as if something were to happen - I was not at full-strength, couldn't run or even walk fast for that matter but their was always security visible around the city & that was nice.

The city was buzzing with people and the majority were spending too. It was really nice to see. The Dublin bus-drivers I encountered were just so damn funny and helpful. Some of those buskers on Grafton-street are seriously talented! One even reminded me of Ryan Sheridan.

I'd a lovely trip to Dublin City today and just want it mentioned. Not everyone posts their positive experiences, but I'd like to :)

Can't wait to go back up tbh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I haven't travelled to Dublin in quite some time but today I went on a return-trip and just want to say what a lovely time I had in Dublin City.

Every person I encountered were lovely, every single one. I must've looked like I knew where I was going though because I was asked on 4 occasions for directions but could only assist with 1 as the other 3 times, I just did not know!

The city looked clean and was buzzing! There were 5 security guards at Heuston on arrival, at every Luas-stop I either got off or on at I met at least 2 more security, their was hi-visibility by the guards too in patrol-cars and on-foot. Definitely sending a message. I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday or if that much security is visible at other days too, but it was re-assuring as if something were to happen - I was not at full-strength, couldn't run or even walk fast for that matter but their was always security visible around the city & that was nice.

The city was buzzing with people and the majority were spending too. It was really nice to see. The Dublin bus-drivers I encountered were just so damn funny and helpful. Some of those buskers on Grafton-street are seriously talented! One even reminded me of Ryan Sheridan.

I'd a lovely trip to Dublin City today and just want it mentioned. Not everyone posts their positive experiences, but I'd like to :)

Great post and lovely to read. Dublin is a great city and its fantastic to see people enjoying it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Have to agree with you. I am a Dub(with Kerry connections ;)), I may be biased but it is a great city. I was in town today and walked across the Samuel Beckett bridge, the city looks great from there. When I was young, that entire area was derelict and now it looks spectacular. I did a bit of Christmas shopping in Grafton St and there was a great buzz around the place. Headed up to Stephens Green before I headed home. Lots of good restaurants and coffee shops with some good lunch specials on. Glad you enjoyed your trip and don't leave it too long before you come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Great to read someone's good experience, there is not enough positive threads!

I moved to Dublin first for work experience when I was in college in 2004 and moved here again in 2007.

The change that has happened to the place in that time has been massive and for the most part has improved the quality of life for every one who lives and visits the city.

My favourite thing has to be the Dublin Bikes, you can be anywhere in the city centre in 15 mins with them and it allows exploration of our capital more fun.

Glad you had a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I mix with many people who have moved here from all over Europe and they love Dublin. I also love it. What a great city with the greatest people in the world.
    Nowhere is perfect and we have problems too. I know that and they know that. But what a great place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Nice for someone to take the time to write something positive for once. Thanks Kerry4Sam.

• Advertisement

After all the threads in here about junkies, scumbags, thieves, etc. this is a refreshing other side of the coin! Glad you had a lovely time!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Nice for someone to take the time to write something positive for once. Thanks Kerry4Sam.

Great pubs, great restaurants, great people. big, but small enough to maintain a friendliness. beautiful buildings, parks. The sea and its coastline. Suburbs that are fishing villages and harbours not monotonous housing estates like most big cities. The mountains and the countryside to the north and west. The sea and the beaches to the east.

Multicutural, bohemian, artistic and energetic. its not a bad place..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

kerry4sam wrote: »

Ah, nice one Kerry4sam, the city was hopping on Saturday, spent the morning out on the bay and the rest of the day in the city eating, meeting and having fun. Post up here before you come back, you can get some great restaurant/unusual places/sports/cycling advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Great to see a positive post.

Pity a lot of Dublin people can't - or won't - allow themselves see the positives about our city sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Margot1234

I have been to Dublin twice and I always meet the nicest people ever. There's such an easiness in starting a chat with strangers and the locals are really welcoming. As I am currently living in a country where the hostility against foreigners is growing at alarming rate, going to Dublin feels like a breath of fresh air. I am going back there in 3 weeks again to keep me sane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Thanks Kerry4Sam its nice to read positive things about our Capital city for a change, Must add your county is not to bad its self ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

liffeylite wrote: »
    Great pubs, great restaurants, great people. big, but small enough to maintain a friendliness. beautiful buildings, parks. The sea and its coastline. Suburbs that are fishing villages and harbours not monotonous housing estates like most big cities. The mountains and the countryside to the north and west. The sea and the beaches to the east.

Multicutural, bohemian, artistic and energetic. its not a bad place..:D

Might be just a litttllle tiny bit of an exaggeration there liffeylite haha :P But yeah its a lovely city, we give it too little credit. Great post though OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

anncoates wrote: »
    Pity a lot of Dublin people can't - or won't - allow themselves see the positives about our city sometimes.

Generally, people always seem to hate the place they're from, it's a shame =/ I've been living here for 2 years now and I just love it, there's something special about Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I moved here from cork over a year ago and I must say I love it up here. So much going on, great pubs and restaurants, always a great buzz around and I love the witty Dublin sense of humour. It certainly has it's down sides like any big city but you only have to see the thousands of tourists from all over the world in town on any given day to know there's a lot to like in the place.
    Never thought I'd say that as a cork man :-) (still love cork too btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Generally, people always seem to hate the place they're from, it's a shame =/ I've been living here for 2 years now and I just love it, there's something special about Dublin :)

Broadly speaking people need to mature and live abroad for a while before that start to appreciate Ireland. Also some people tend toward obsessing on their own marginal experiences to create a global viewpoint that produces this kind of hatred of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Maybe it's the wrong place to post it, but I just wanted to thank the guys in Kevin Street Garda Station.

I'm looking after a guy in a wheelchair, who lives off Clanbrassil Street. He had an intruder last night, and the two cops, who came down to us were very helpful and nice. Thanks, guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Maybe it's the wrong place to post it, but I just wanted to thank the guys in Kevin Street Garda Station.

I'm looking after a guy in a wheelchair, who lives off Clanbrassil Street. He had an intruder last night, and the two cops, who came down to us were very helpful and nice. Thanks, guys :)

No I'm happy to have this shared in this thread :)

Advertisement