Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 Stolen outisde The Globe Georges street

Options
  • 12-11-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

So my iPhone 4 was stolen outside The Globe on St Georges Street last night at approx 2:30a.m.

Anyone else had theres stolen by gypsys? Someone needs to clamp down on it because its a load of ****! Where are the Gardaí at this hour?

:/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

What second hand shops are these scumbags most likely to sell to? Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No posting of shop names. It's libellous to say that a certain place buys stolen iPhones. End of

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

i124Q wrote: »
    What second hand shops are these scumbags most likely to sell to? Any ideas?

Without naming any shop names if I were you I'd have a nose about Moore Street/Liffey Street

OP have you been downto Pearse Street Garda Station to report it? They have been targetting pickpocketers of late, recently culminating in a large amount of arrests. I'd imagine where you were robbed should have a lot of CCTV as well, given the amount of bars in the area.

Also, get onto your network, they can render the phone useless by blocking the IMEI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Find iPhone installed by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Anyone else had theres stolen by gypsys?

Is that worse than having it stolen by anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Is that worse than having it stolen by anyone else?

I'm guessing the OP is being kind to a certain ''ethnic'' minority saying Gypsy's. And yeah It probably makes a difference to the OP and if it does that's his right.

Anyone who has been around dublin city centre in the past 2 years knows their is a group Roma targeting people with either visible i phones or wallets-purses showing.

The Gaurds has arrested dozens of roma over the past 2 years in connnection with organised pick pocketing and stolen Phones.

not yet wrote: »
    Anyone who has been around dublin city centre in the past 2 years knows their is a group Roma targeting people with either visible i phones or wallets-purses showing.

The Gaurds has arrested dozens of roma over the past 2 years in connnection with organised pick pocketing and stolen Phones.

In fairness its not just Roma, theres also an irish gang that operate around Dame Street

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

someone got their Iphone stolen in the Bull and Castle on Friday night while standing at the bar, with her work colleagues.

there are no Gypsy's there are the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

how did a gypsy manage to rob you off your phone? they dont normally actually go to rob, more pick pocket or honey traps....

MarkMc wrote: »
    In fairness its not just Roma, theres also an irish gang that operate around Dame Street

True...

My Daughter had her i phone snatched from her last year on the quays by some junkie cnut. Why can't we round up these wastes of space and fcuk them all onto an island somewhere in the Irish sea, Ilse of man comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Everyone should be able to take their phone out and use it in public but I think alot of people need to be more aware when taking a phone out in public that these things are happening all the time. An I phone etc is worth over 300e so its easy money to snatch and sell on. If possible Id only take my phone out in secure areas more than in public

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

True...

My Daughter had her i phone snatched from her last year on the quays by some junkie cnut. Why can't we round up these wastes of space and fcuk them all onto an island somewhere in the Irish sea, Ilse of man comes to mind.

Well that's hardly fair to the people who live on the Isle of Man!

Smartphone theft in Dublin city is HUUUGE at the moment. The value of them and the ease of lifting one is too great for theives, oppurtunistic or not.

Everyone should be able to take their phone out and use it in public but I think alot of people need to be more aware when taking a phone out in public that these things are happening all the time. An I phone etc is worth over 300e so its easy money to snatch and sell on. If possible Id only take my phone out in secure areas more than in public

My wife has just got a new I phone and I've told her to be very careful using it on the street, I know have her terrifed to use it on the street....

What does that say about out city when people are scared of using their phone on the street.

Larianne wrote: »
    Well that's hardly fair to the people who live on the Isle of Man!

Smartphone theft in Dublin city is HUUUGE at the moment. The value of them and the ease of lifting one is too great for theives, oppurtunistic or not.

Surely the shops on moore st etc that buy these can be policed better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Smartphone theft in Dublin city is HUUUGE at the moment

If the owner reports them to the Mobile Provider who in turn blocks the phone, what do these guys do with then if the phone doesn't wont?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If the owner reports them to the Mobile Provider who in turn blocks the phone, what do these guys do with then if the phone doesn't wont?

Its usually sold on quickly so they don't give a **** if it works or not, once they have cash for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Dancor wrote: »
    Its usually sold on quickly so they don't give a **** if it works or not, once they have cash for it.

Pretty sure they can change the IMEI or something like that.

• Advertisement

Any phone any network Can be unblocked etc by the shops in moore st.

Why can't the the phone makers put a chip in them so if they are stolen you ring a hotline with a code and they enable the chip which burns the fcuk out of the mother board rendering the phone useless. nobody would bother stealing a phone ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They already have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Every smartphone (atleast those worth over €100) should come with built in gps that works, even when the phone is switched off, as long as it has some power to consume. The owner gets access as part of the network online account and phone can be tracked if lost, or stolen. The technology is so cheap now, it makes sense to have it as a standard part of every phone worth stealing.

I have iPhone lost on both my iPhones, but it can be disabled by turning the phone off, or if there are no security features in place, the app can be removed and gps turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

So my iPhone 4 was stolen outside The Globe on St Georges Street last night at approx 2:30a.m.

Anyone else had theres stolen by gypsys? Someone needs to clamp down on it because its a load of ****! Where are the Gardaí at this hour?

:/

Sorry to hear that. Were you aware of it at the time or were you just pickpocketed?

Did you have insurance?

Hopefully cctv will pick them up on such a busy street. I wonder what the punishment is even if they do get caught...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any phone any network Can be unblocked etc by the shops in moore st.
    Not the case. Once a phone has been blacklisted, it's useless on Irish networks and can't be unblocked by any backstreet shop.

Problem is the phones are sold on fairly sharpish for a few quid, usually before the owner even knows it's gone, and they're sold for next to nothing. The scum who steal these are only interested in getting another bag of crap to shoot into their veins, not amassing profits.

The shops who take them probably pay €50 to the scum who has it and can very quickly establish if the phone has been locked or not. Then they arrange to sell it overseas for use on a foreign network, sell it to some unsuspecting punter or strip it down for parts for their "fix your iphone" side business.

Advertisement