Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two months out of warranty on an Air..

• 12-11-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to see some weird issues which seem to be graphics card related.. stuttering video playback, with strange artifacts sometimes and in Serato some of the time the stuttering can be seen too (meaning it's not a flash / browser issue..)

And my power connecter doesn't work all of the time, its an L type and will only charge in the position where it covers one of the usb inputs and will maybe work in the other direction 1/10 times if I restart a few times and jiggle it around.

Would I have any luck trying to get this fixed without paying? It's actually like a month and a half out of warranty..

I've an iPhone 5 32gb on back order with them so I might be able to use that as something to bargain with to get it fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ring them up and see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

so is it 13 1/2 months old? if so don't let them fob you off

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

If its 25 1/2 months old, your out of luck I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea +1

Don't not let them fob you off. Get them to fix it, don't let them cod you into buying apple care. They've been fined billions in Italy for this shady practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

thank you for this! It's indeed 13 and a half months old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I would have had no idea about it without this thread.. The way it reads on that that page on the apple website is that the problem has to have been there from day one, and not that it can develop within the two years.. is this true or can I straightly say what has happened in that the problem has developed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The issue with Apple in Italy was greatly misreported online due to American bloggers making no effort to understand how European consumer law works. There's a difference between a manufacturer's warranty and the rights accorded to you under consumer law which must be followed up with the seller. Failure to recognise the distinction is what causes so much confusion for consumers.

AppleCare's main selling points have always been the telephone support and the quick and convenient repairs. Going the consumer rights route can be a hassle, especially if you aren't tech savvy or if the machine was purchased from a reseller.
    I would have had no idea about it without this thread.. The way it reads on that that page on the apple website is that the problem has to have been there from day one, and not that it can develop within the two years.. is this true or can I straightly say what has happened in that the problem has developed?
    I'd ignore that bit. Strictly speaking it's correct, at least in relation to the EU Directive. But in your case a judge can't really ask you to prove that the graphics card was faulty when you got it.

Phew, I'll just play the stupid card and say there were always funny colours and things and i only noticed it when I saw working one.
    Is what apple are doing illegal? I was lead to fully believe that I was not covered by any warranty, especially after I checked my serial number on the website and it told me I was not eligible for any replacements (albeit through their warranty only.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you tried simply cleaning the power connections ? Most of the time it's just due to grime build up. As for the performance issues re. video playback, have you tried repairing permissions and checking activity monitor to see if there are any anomalies ? Might simply be a codec or some app (like anti-virus software) causing the problem.

As for the warrantee - your consumer rights cannot be superseded by any company. A product must last a reasonable time. For a 1200 euro plus MBA a reasonable time would be at least 2 years and European consumer rights as well as your statutory rights under Irish consumer law protect you with this.

That said Apple have a pretty good reputation for after sales service on their products. Call them and state your case and see what happens ! You might be surprised !

Ken

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Did you buy the machine from Apple, OP?

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Have you tried simply cleaning the power connections ? Most of the time it's just due to grime build up. As for the performance issues re. video playback, have you tried repairing permissions and checking activity monitor to see if there are any anomalies ? Might simply be a codec or some app (like anti-virus software) causing the problem.

As for the warrantee - your consumer rights cannot be superseded by any company. A product must last a reasonable time. For a 1200 euro plus MBA a reasonable time would be at least 2 years and European consumer rights as well as your statutory rights under Irish consumer law protect you with this.

That said Apple have a pretty good reputation for after sales service on their products. Call them and state your case and see what happens ! You might be surprised !

Ken
    I've been really well looked after before for a replacement on an iPhone so I'll give them a call later and see!
    Did you buy the machine from Apple, OP?
    Yes straight from apple.ie hopefully this means less fuss since I won't be going through someone like Compub.

Advertisement